Become a Patron!

Need crafters advice

Zhaylin

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I can't read patterns but I make (and remake) everything by "ear". I started crocheting lanyards for my e-cigs, then I taught myself plastic canvas. The canvas is MUCH better, but they still don't stand the test of time. I've used regular yarn, fabric yarn, then hemp. Either the yarn/hemp frays of the plastic breaks. I even tried doubling the canvas.
Maybe I'm just expecting too much? It takes 6-12 hours to make a lanyard (not counting re-dos, measuring and cutting). The lanyards only last about 3 months :(

What does everyone else buy or make?

Attachments

• GoodLanyard3.jpg
    GoodLanyard3.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 17

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It won't achieve the same look as you've got going with the fibers but you could try 550 cord. If you don't like the typical drab green military colors there are places that sell it with all different colors/patterns on the outer sleeve. Not all of it is created equal (cheap imitation) but even that should last awhile. Authentic 7 strand core should last pretty well.

It might be a bit bulky if braided/woven but another option would be to cut it and remove the nylon cores and just using the sheathing. I've used it for various things, tying fences, tying down lighter loads or bundles of materials, used it to replace the laces on my boots and it held up well over a year and was still in good condition (boots fell apart first).

Zhaylin

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just made a new basic lanyard while I figure out everything else. I can whip these out in a couple hours. Got tired of looking for and dropping/knocking them over. (I wear a fanny pack too :D If it's not attached to me, I lose things)

Attachments

• NewLanyard011518.jpg
    NewLanyard011518.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 9

VU Sponsors