1. FLASH: DISCUSSWELLNESS.COM IS OPEN TO VU MEMBERS - BETA TESTING

VAPING UNDERGROUNDS FORUM SOFTWARE IS BEING UPGRADED.

Need help in recommendation of checking battery voltage for mechs

Discussion in 'Unregulated (Mechanical) Mods' started by Chillaxman, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Chillaxman

Chillaxman Member For 2 Years Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Hello all! Does anyone have any recommendations to check battery voltage thats portable to carry around and accurate? I am using a mech mod so it would be nice to know if theres any inline voltage meter thats accurate. I was thinking of something like this:
    https://www.elementvape.com/volt-meter-510-connector

2. Carambrda

Carambrda Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    I just use this one... it's old now, but it still works:

[​IMG]

Chillaxman likes this.
  3. Chillaxman

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for the suggestion! Ill wait on other peoples suggestion on a more portable one, even the inline voltage meter I just found, that looks kinda bulky to carry around. If i have to, ill get a similar one :) Just clarifying, that one looks like it can only do 20A batteries or can it do 25A as well? At yhe moment im running Sony VTC5A which is a 25A.

4. CactusFanaticus

CactusFanaticus Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    The 20 amp rating on that meter is for the fuse in the amp meter, nothing to do with it checking voltage.
    A coilmaster 521 tab (not the mini) would serve you well. Has a 510 plug that screws into the mod's 510 and can check voltage.
    [​IMG]

Chillaxman likes this.
  5. Carambrda

Blog Posts:
    Using it to measure the volts, not amps. Amps on a mech mod can be calculated with Ohm's law... just subtract the voltage sag of the battery from the resting voltage of the battery. The voltage sag of the VTC5A is about .5 volts if you draw a current of 30 amps from the VTC5A (see Mooch's "Pulsed-Current Test Results": https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...-test-results-a-fantastic-25a-battery.746719/ ). So if the battery is fully charged to 4.2 volts, at 30 amps you're getting a "running voltage" of 4.2 minus .5 equals 3.7 volts. So by using Ohm's law, we can now calculate that the resistance of the atomizer/coil build in this particular example should be about .12 ohms. (On a single VTC5A usually I vape at .1 -.11 ohms... so with my VTC5A fully charged I draw less than 36.5 amps, which IMO is about the sweet spot on a single VTC5A.)

~Don~ and Chillaxman like this.
  6. Chillaxman

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for the suggestion! I was thinking of getting the 521 tab plus but are they the same for the voltage checker? Is there a signicant differenfe? If they'e the same, I'll go for the regular 521 tab

CactusFanaticus likes this.
  7. Chillaxman

Blog Posts:

8. merememories

merememories Member For 2 Years Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    why do you need one?

9. CactusFanaticus

CactusFanaticus Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Not sure about the plus, I have the the regular and it's a good product, use it almost daily building coils/re wicking.

Chillaxman likes this.
  10. Chillaxman

Blog Posts:
    I need one to check the voltage of the battery so I would have an accurate idea when to take out the battery.

11. Chillaxman

Blog Posts:
    Ah I see. I might just go with the regular since that product model is still good up to this date :)

12. merememories

merememories Member For 2 Years Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    I change my batteries once I feel a weakness in the vape. But if your really want to use a device you don't need a four digit accuracy, just use the coils master reader. If you don't have one, buy it. It is cheap it is accurate up to +-0.05 so just round it to the nearest tenth. This is good enough I think

13. Carambrda

Blog Posts:
    I take out the battery the moment I no longer get enough "oomph". With a .1 ohm build this happens typically not too far below 3.8 volts so, after a little while, your brain starts to become a fairly accurate volts checker... like happened to this guy:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017