Become a Patron!

Need help setting up new computer

pete67

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I need all the help I can get setting up a new Lenovo computer. I need to do a recovery disk and transfer pictures and what ever I need to do. I am computer challenged. Thank you.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You can usually get a computer shop to do that, fairly reasonable. Creating a recovery disk is in your system program someplace. Easy way to transfer files is to copy them to a flash drive (the whole folders) and you can upload them to your new computer. (You should be saving your pictures on a flash drive as a back up copy anyway).

If you don't understand what I have said this far, you will be better off hiring a shop to do what you want done.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's hard to explain these things in a forum to someone tech challenged.

I suggest you find a friend to do it for you or take it to the store.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Pete!!!
hi_there_smiley.gif
:hug:

If I knew techy stuff, I'd call ya. I used a back-up drive when I did all that.

Reign

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
This may or may not help but I thought it relevant. Don't sell yourself short fire up the old google and do some research on creating restore disks, for your pictures an external HDD would do wonders and can be had fairly cheap. I'm not a PC guy by any means but managed to piece together a fairly respectable gaming rig myself after a little googling and time collecting parts.

In the end I learned a lot and am now much more comfortable with them, especially when something goes wrong with it. Of course if you can get someone else to do it cheaply that maybe the easiest but you'll surely save some cash and know it's done right if you learn how to do it. And like the others have said if I had a way to easily offer my assistance I would. But these types of tasks are best done in person due to so much being lost in translation over the internet or the phone. Best of luck!

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Windows Easy Transfer allows Data transmission from one computer to another via a data transfer cable. This feature isn't available in Windows 10 however. You can also back up any data to an external drive, as mentioned above, and put your stuff in the new computer.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
While we're on the subject of computers, does anyone know how to find "Windows Photo Viewer" (and download) pictures in Windows 10? Looking on Google, the explanation is there, but I can't locate Windows Photo Viewer, not on this laptop anyway.

The only method I've found to download pictures is by day or month. Many times I need different folders for pictures each day, and this piece of shit won't allow me to make my own folders to download to. If I take two-three different sets of pictures they want to go into the same folder, which I want to avoid. I need separate folders for software I use for my business. TYIA

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
While we're on the subject of computers, does anyone know how to find "Windows Photo Viewer" (and download) pictures in Windows 10? Looking on Google, the explanation is there, but I can't locate Windows Photo Viewer, not on this laptop anyway.

The only method I've found to download pictures is by day or month. Many times I need different folders for pictures each day, and this piece of shit won't allow me to make my own folders to download to. If I take two-three different sets of pictures they want to go into the same folder, which I want to avoid. I need separate folders for software I use for my business. TYIA
On my laptop (which is used for business), I run the shell program. It makes my laptop appear like windows 7 and operates that way. I can still go to using it in 10, which I never do.

My laptop wasn't a touch screen, so 10 is worthless IMO, on the laptop. Also, running the shell program, my picture folders and everthing else, functions like win 7.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
On my laptop (which is used for business), I run the shell program. It makes my laptop appear like windows 7 and operates that way. I can still go to using it in 10, which I never do.

My laptop wasn't a touch screen, so 10 is worthless IMO, on the laptop. Also, running the shell program, my picture folders and everthing else, functions like win 7.
Thanks for the info @freemind How would I go about making Win 10 run like Win 7?

That is surely what I need to do.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I HATE WIN 10, all mine are on Win 7 pro, whatever. Im going to look into the running 10 as a shell so it behaves and looks like 7.

A few family members are stuck with 10 because they either bought a new machine and did not know better, or they accidentally got suckered into the " free upgrade" that practically forced you to do it.

Im the one they run to when theres a problem and Ive purposely kept myself ignorant of win10.

Thanks for the suggestions , if I can do this , I will be so many peoples "hero"

My favorite Win is now 7. Its the least "want to be as cute as MACs" OP.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I HATE WIN 10, all mine are on Win 7 pro, whatever. Im going to look into the running 10 as a shell so it behaves and looks like 7.

A few family members are stuck with 10 because they either bought a new machine and did not know better, or they accidentally got suckered into the " free upgrade" that practically forced you to do it.

Im the one they run to when theres a problem and Ive purposely kept myself ignorant of win10.

Thanks for the suggestions , if I can do this , I will be so many peoples "hero"

My favorite Win is now 7. Its the least "want to be as cute as MACs" OP.
You know how to switch it from 10>>>>>7...?

Last edited:

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You know who to switch it from 10>>>>>7...?
Not yet, Im gonna do some research tonight. Ive heard one can do that for years, but because Im paranoid when it comes to others machines, Ive purposely kept myself ignorant. They all come to me, to help and fix, but dont listen and learn anything when Ive taken the time to show them and help.
I gave up , too frustrating.

If I find a good page on "how to do it" I will save it and post it here. I like straight to the point , informative but not complicated with a lot of " dribble that makes the them sound like a genius" types of instructions. Just get to the point, tell me how and what, but dont waste my time with so much technical garble. :)

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You know who to switch it from 10>>>>>7...?

OH , you mean downgrade it? Its a tough one. Most of the new machines that come with win10 installed have hardware and gear on them that are designed to just pop it in and use because they are win 10 ready.

Going from a machine that is 10 is one of the hardest ones to downgrade. You have to purchase a Win7 OP , wipe out your harddrive , do a clean install and if everything goes well, then you have to see if you can find drivers for your video, sound, wireless adapter etc and many times there arent.

My Dad kept getting the stupid notifications to do the updates and he keeps messing with the settings I do for him. Thats how he got in trouble and ended up with win10. He did something weird and none of the instructions for going back worked. He wiped his back ups and the partition that had the original files for reformatting. He had to purchase another Win 7 , big mess.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I found this one, so far it seem pretty direct, it even has screen shots ! I have to find one of my family members that will let me experiment.

Just remember before doing anything like this, back up any important files. By this I dont mean an actual technical back up, but take all your documents and downloaded important files,photos etc and just drag them to an external drive.

Do a restore point so you can go back if you dont like it, or get confused. Just make sure not to unplug, turn off etc, you might want to disable your screensaver and make sure you turn off any sleep functions etc that might interfere with the installs and changes.

Here is the link
http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/make-windows-10-like-windows-7

Like I tell my dad, cause he can afford it, everytime is DONT Fiddle with stuff you are not sure of, save the stress and anxiety and spend the 50 that it costs to have someone do it.. You can go to any Microsoft store or even the Best buys, ( they might charge you more if they can tell you are clueless)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The only thing I need is to get "Windows Photo Viewer" back, so I can select where pictures go to, when downloaded. This has been a nightmare on this new laptop. I read instructions how to find the Photo Viewer in Win 10, but I haven't found it yet.....that is all I need, the rest I can deal with.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks man, but this "stuff" is way over my pay scale, I'll stop at Data Doctors.

I used my computer guy to clean the shit software off my laptop when I bought it, and he installed anti-virus and the shell for me. I didn't know about shell until he mentioned it when he was cleaning it up. Otherwise I would have just done it myself.

Fuck Win10. I hate that shit program with a passion. Not as much as I hate Apple, but really close.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I used my computer guy to clean the shit software off my laptop when I bought it, and he installed anti-virus and the shell for me. I didn't know about shell until he mentioned it when he was cleaning it up. Otherwise I would have just done it myself.

Fuck Win10. I hate that shit program with a passion. Not as much as I hate Apple, but really close.
I'm with you......:gaah::cuss2:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
This link tells me what to do http://winaero.com/blog/how-get-windows-photo-viewer-working-in-windows-10-rtm/

But if I fuck something up, I'm screwed until it's fixed. Kinda need this laptop for business. My others are so loaded down with shit they work like snails....I need to take about four devices into a IT guy and have him strip all the shit out of them, so I can use um again.
Next one I buy, I am having built by my computer guy.

Hp-Dell-name your brand, loads them down with bloatware.

That, and I can get a machine taylor built to do what I want. Photos, video, quickbooks, etc. Not a gamer, so it should be reasonable to build this.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Next one I buy, I am having built by my computer guy.

Hp-Dell-name your brand, loads them down with bloatware.

That, and I can get a machine taylor built to do what I want. Photos, video, quickbooks, etc. Not a gamer, so it should be reasonable to build this.
Exactly, fuck all the branded junk.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I always recommend Dell to someone that I know is clueless about computers. Many people dont know difference between hard drive , main drive or cruise control driving.

I had Dells for my first few computers when I first started because they had excellent customer service, sent people to look at it, replace whatever or any noob problems.... Never had attitude or did they make me feel stupid, even if I was.

As I grew into computers and since I was in the IT, area upstairs and watched Bruce put together all the systems that ran our photo lab and scanners etc. I got to watch him put them together from a bunch of separate boxes. It made sense after a while and thats when I got my hands on experience.

Most people throw out perfectly good machines because they get all poluted with crap and they dont know how to clean and reformat.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I always recommend Dell to someone that I know is clueless about computers. Many people dont know difference between hard drive , main drive or cruise control driving.

I had Dells for my first few computers when I first started because they had excellent customer service, sent people to look at it, replace whatever or any noob problems.... Never had attitude or did they make me feel stupid, even if I was.

As I grew into computers and since I was in the IT, area upstairs and watched Bruce put together all the systems that ran our photo lab and scanners etc. I got to watch him put them together from a bunch of separate boxes. It made sense after a while and thats when I got my hands on experience.

Most people throw out perfectly good machines because they get all polluted with crap and they dont know how to clean and reformat.
I have about 10 dell laptops, never had a single problem with dell or their products, it's always a Windows issue, they just can't leave well enough alone, gotta keep changing shit to sell new shit, then you just end up with a pile of shit so you can buy more shit.

Like freemind said, I too despise Apple products, over-priced junk.

freemind got me thinking. I'll take this pile of laptops and get them all rebuilt with no bloatware. They should run like solid state devices. Then I'll have backups for the backups. Hopefully enough to last the rest of my life. I'm sick of buying new junk and fucking around trying to figure it out AGAIN.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have about 10 dell laptops, never had a single problem with dell or their products, it's always a Windows issue, they just can't leave well enough alone, gotta keep changing shit to sell new shit, then you just end up with a pile of shit so you can buy more shit.
That totally reminded me of the George Carlin skit.

My last Dell laptop lasted 9 years. I coulda cried when it just stopped working.

For Win10, I've gotten used to it. When it first came out it SUCKED, uninstalled it within a couple days, if that long. I forgot some notifier thing and woke up with Win 10 one morning. Pissed me off, but the thing was actually doing what it was supposed to. I haven't had any issues with it, went through and unchecked a lot of unnecessary crap, though.

I thought 7 and 8 were going to eventually force an upgrade to 10? Can't remember what it was I read, some time back, but something like they weren't going to do any updates to 7 & 8 that would almost render them useless. That could have been a lot of fluff, too, though.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Like freemind said, I too despise Apple products, over-priced junk.

freemind got me thinking. I'll take this pile of laptops and get them all rebuilt with no bloatware. They should run like solid state devices. Then I'll have backups for the backups. Hopefully enough to last the rest of my life. I'm sick of buying new junk and fucking around trying to figure it out AGAIN.

Ditto. :)

My Laptop is a bit over the top. People see it and have to take a second and 3rd look.

I was having lots of physical problems and what not. Both my Dell XPS and Alienware both went kaput. ( Someday I got take them apart and see if I can use parts to make one work )

I got this sort of fancy custom thing. I did spend too much, but hell, I suffered thru shit for 7 years, penniless, no income, finally my stupid case settled and badly too, but I said fuck it, I want this thing.

ITs my life, its what I do all my photoshop and lite video editing on. I got it sort of bare boned, so I could save . I bought the RAM, the harddrives, the sound and network etc. It came with the video card and processor , I love this thing, most people dont need this, but figured I want to hold on to this for at least 5 years it still more than relevant.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That totally reminded me of the George Carlin skit.

My last Dell laptop lasted 9 years. I coulda cried when it just stopped working.

For Win10, I've gotten used to it. When it first came out it SUCKED, uninstalled it within a couple days, if that long. I forgot some notifier thing and woke up with Win 10 one morning. Pissed me off, but the thing was actually doing what it was supposed to. I haven't had any issues with it, went through and unchecked a lot of unnecessary crap, though.

I thought 7 and 8 were going to eventually force an upgrade to 10? Can't remember what it was I read, some time back, but something like they weren't going to do any updates to 7 & 8 that would almost render them useless. That could have been a lot of fluff, too, though.
My desktop runs 7. I set it to NOT auto download windows updates without permission. I still get notices to update, but I can X them out. I also get a notice to update my office suite software, which I won't or I have to go on subscription.

My laptop runs 10. It's had a popup stuck on the desktop for 2 months now, that you can't get rid of, to update to win 10.2 or whatever their latest is. I REFUSE to update to it. When you do, you allow Microsoft to gather ALL your info off your computer and do with it whatever they want. Microsoft can eat a bag of dicks, I'm not allowing the upgrade.

I'm probably going to consult my computer guy, and I'm thinking about Linux or whatever he might suggest to avoid the data mining and all the fucky shit that comes with the newest O.S. I got along fine with Microsoft, until win10. Sick of every service and software seller, mining the shit out of your personal data and doing with it, whatever they want.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My desktop runs 7. I set it to NOT auto download windows updates without permission. I still get notices to update, but I can X them out. I also get a notice to update my office suite software, which I won't or I have to go on subscription.

My laptop runs 10. It's had a popup stuck on the desktop for 2 months now, that you can't get rid of, to update to win 10.2 or whatever their latest is. I REFUSE to update to it. When you do, you allow Microsoft to gather ALL your info off your computer and do with it whatever they want. Microsoft can eat a bag of dicks, I'm not allowing the upgrade.

I'm probably going to consult my computer guy, and I'm thinking about Linux or whatever he might suggest to avoid the data mining and all the fucky shit that comes with the newest O.S. I got along fine with Microsoft, until win10. Sick of every service and software seller, mining the shit out of your personal data and doing with it, whatever they want.
When I started the new win 10 laptop, I X'ed out all the permissions in privacy, so microsoft cannot gather shit, although I'm sure there is a backdoor they neglect to speak about, and do it anyway.

I'm with you about privacy, it's getting to the point the government and spammers have more information than my family has about me, which is a reason I avoid facebook and all other data miners like the plague.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
When I started the new win 10 laptop, I X'ed out all the permissions in privacy, so microsoft cannot gather shit, although I'm sure there is a backdoor they neglect to speak about, and do it anyway.

I'm with you about privacy, it's getting to the point the government and spammers have more information than my family has about me, which is a reason I avoid facebook and all other data miners like the plague.
With the newest version of Win10, you don't get to opt out of permissions. That's why they are pushing it. You don't have a choice once it's loaded on your machine. That's why everyone was up in arms over it.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
With the newest version of Win10, you don't get to opt out of permissions. That's why they are pushing it. You don't have a choice once it's loaded on your machine. That's why everyone was up in arms over it.
If you go to privacy settings, you'll see the option to opt-out is available.

VU Sponsors