Become a Patron!

Need help with clapton wire impedance

Mipado

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
how man wraps should i do of 32/26 clapton coil tomget a dual coil 0.15-0.2 impedance

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If you have an ohm meter its pretty easy to figure out..you do have one right?.

I would guess 5 or 6 wraps if your attys deck is large enough.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
www.steamengine.com

Claptons have the resistance of inner wire.
Generally, this. Though I often find slight rises when building with claptons. I think that the outer wire causes some connection issues. It's almost as if you had pieces of broken wire in your posts when you dropped in some fresh coils. They may fire evenly, but they still have to overcome those little pieces of wire in between.

Not only that, but their power requirements to deliver sufficient heat to take full advantage of the extra surface area tend to be higher than what 4v on a mech can give you at their given resistance. It's generally better to build to a higher resistance and give them more power than to try to drop a near-super-sub-ohm clapton on a mech. I'm assuming that a regulated box is not an option for you and that's why you want to build so low with claptons at those guages. I caution you not to be too prepared to be impressed.

"How many wraps?" is pointless question without a specific diameter, so let's assume a diameter of 2.5mm. Pretty large, but small enough to fit in most atties. With a dual 32/26 clapton, you are going to want to do 3 wraps, 4 max, to hit that range. That's gonna put you at somewhere between .18 and .24. But honestly, cutting more out defeats the purpose. You're making a small amount of wire heat up the larger amount of wire on the outside by itself. After a certain threshold, the surface area/power demands of a clapton and a sub-ohm coil sort of even out to the point where you may as well just use a single strand of thicker wire for your coils.

But that is to say that I hope you're not taking my word for it. I hope you've got some wire to play with and an ohmmeter handy. You're gonna need both to find a definitive answer. Claptons are not the most straightforward coils to just guess on and actually hit your mark with.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors