Become a Patron!

Need help with coils

5AFC3867-89C9-45A6-8DC4-8F196F573E91.jpeg Hello guys.

I made a build last night 2 Clapton coils that came out at 0.22ohms in my druga rda on a pulse squonker.
But today my coils are burnt and the cotton is browned abit is this normal are my coils fucked already or? The juice am using is a clear juice.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That is the result of heating and cooling of metal and the reaction it has on Sugars.

I can tell you that the coils are not running evenly though... could be slight ohm variance or even airflow or wick amount... but the darker coil is heating and cooling a bit slower or running hotter than the other.

Is normal. Is worse with sweeter and darker or more organic juices. Is worse with coils that heat and cool slowly. That is the result of vaping and the why of diy coils... if the wicks and coil get too dirty you replace the wick and clean the coil instead of replacing both. 1 coil build can last months.... even if the wick only lasts hours.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
With my builds, I find the burnt spots indicate a hot spot in the coil legs. However, that looks more black than brown. Perhaps it was just a dirty post leaking residue onto the cotton?
Either way, the coil darkening is normal. LOL It will get worse looking than that by far before its time to toss it. I can usually burn off the residue for a couple weeks before having to rebuild.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Hot spots maybe did you dry burn the coils society?

Were they glowing evenly? I would say crusting up like that pic after one day isn’t normal

What juice is it? Is it a really high sweetener content?

Also out of interest what coil metal are you using? What brand is it?

Hot spots maybe did you dry burn the coils society?

Were they glowing evenly? I would say crusting up like that pic after one day isn’t normal

What juice is it? Is it a really high sweetener content?

Also out of interest what coil metal are you using? What brand is it?

The juice is called dr frost. Watermelon ice. It is quite sweet. And yeah the coils were glowing evenly. And the coils are pre wrapped from an assortment of different coils think they pack was like £16 obviously not the best coils

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
The juice is called dr frost. Watermelon ice. It is quite sweet. And yeah the coils were glowing evenly. And the coils are pre wrapped from an assortment of different coils think they pack was like £16 obviously not the best coils

Strange mate when you clean them up see if same things happens again ...maybe try a different set of fresh coils as well

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Rewick it and make sure they're still glowing evenly. Even just a small bump against the coils with the top cap or even the mod knocking against something can be enough to wake up a hot spot or two. And in the Druga you definitely need to make sure those posts are screwed tight.
I would also try bumping up the wattage. If the coils aren't getting enough wattage they'll just 'caramelize' the juice, as opposed to vaporizing it entirely. Coils run at too low of a wattage will definitely result in a situation like yours.
Good luck!

Sent from my C6740N using Tapatalk

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
This suggestion might seem a bit off kilter, bear with it as it serves me fair at times. Tweak the coils a bit and leave yourself just a smidgen of space between the wraps. This can help by providing a bit more airflow. You can watch the coils and gently tweak some more leaving the space in the one seeming to run hotter.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Strange mate when you clean them up see if same things happens again ...maybe try a different set of fresh coils as well
And.. Rinse your atomizer under water, just in case, to clean any debris that may be left over.

By the way.. Your coils look about normal for a days vaping. You can still see between the wraps. That wick however, looks like the juice is picking up something on that one side.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
And.. Rinse your atomizer under water, just in case, to clean any debris that may be left over.

By the way.. Your coils look about normal for a days vaping. You can still see between the wraps. That wick however, looks like the juice is picking up something on that one side.

Your coils look that crusty after one day?

Takes me a good week for them to look like that

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

You're strange though, you're English. I'm weird, the Scottish in my blood line and some from around Manchester. You know those United sots are a bit deranged always thinking they are the best footie players. ;)

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile

I have to rewick and burn the coil after 3 or 4 days. But I tend to vape at 120W to 150W as well. Those looked a bit discolored due to use, but still a few days from burning the gunk off IMO. I figure if you can clearly see the wraps so they aren't to bad, some darkening is to be expected. Mind you, that is a photo and not up close inspection.

GO CELTS!
(I use to say that to my friends kid.. hard core Rangers fan he was. LOL) How did Mags put it? I was "Takin the piss outta him"

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
This suggestion might seem a bit off kilter, bear with it as it serves me fair at times. Tweak the coils a bit and leave yourself just a smidgen of space between the wraps. This can help by providing a bit more airflow. You can watch the coils and gently tweak some more leaving the space in the one seeming to run hotter.

Good point!

OP how much airflow did you have, really restricted?

VU Sponsors