Become a Patron!

Need help with creating Clapton wire

I use 26 gauge Kanthal and wrap it in 32 gauge Kanthal I use all bearing swivels in a vice and a battery-powered drill. I'm able to get about 1 or 2 inches of nicely Clapton wire before the wire breaks off to Chuck and I have to restart again. Any help or tips on how I can fix this so I can move on to more elaborate coils would be greatly appreciated thank you and vape on

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use 26 gauge Kanthal and wrap it in 32 gauge Kanthal I use all bearing swivels in a vice and a battery-powered drill. I'm able to get about 1 or 2 inches of nicely Clapton wire before the wire breaks off to Chuck and I have to restart again. Any help or tips on how I can fix this so I can move on to more elaborate coils would be greatly appreciated thank you and vape on

You are either pulling the core wire too tight between the drill and swivels, or holding too much tension on the wrap wire. Or both. When done properly, the clapton will basically wrap itself. Try not to micro-manage the wrap and let it fly.

Your wire should be pretty straight between the drill and swivels, with the swivels barely slack.

You should hold the spool of wrap wire with the bare minimum of tension, at least 12" away from the cores. Put the spool of wrap wire inside a ziploc for even less tension.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
^^^^^^^^^ your pulling the core wire too tight ....keep stuff at a 90 degree level and it wraps itself. don't have to manhandle it.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You are either pulling the core wire too tight between the drill and swivels, or holding too much tension on the wrap wire. Or both. When done properly, the clapton will basically wrap itself. Try not to micro-manage the wrap and let it fly.

Your wire should be pretty straight between the drill and swivels, with the swivels barely slack.

You should hold the spool of wrap wire with the bare minimum of tension, at least 12" away from the cores. Put the spool of wrap wire inside a ziploc for even less tension.
^^^^This

Plus I recommend ditching the 32g, go with 34g or 36g.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors