Become a Patron!

Need help with first build

hello, new here on the forum, and have my first question :) I have kayfun v5 withMTL kit on the way, and i need to build some nice coil for it. I will use it for MTL only vaping 12mg juice. I plan to use SS316l wire...my question is what kind of resistance is best to build? I was thinking something arround 1.5 ohm, but since SS wire is low resistance im not sure about what diameter to use?

If someone have a recomendation it would be helpful.

Thanks..

Twisted Vaping

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well it depends on your mod, if you're usin a regulated the resistance is secondary.
As the kayfun is build for single coils I would recommend this build
SS 316
30GA
10 wraps on 2.5mm ID Microcoil

Clocks out at exactly 1.5 Ohms and should fit perfectly on your deck.

Thanks for the help" im new to vaping and want to quit smoking, i read that for m2l higher resistance coils are preffered, as for the mod i will be using dicodes extreme v3 tube mod. TC mode is also supported so will try that also. Maybee someone can explain why for m2l and higher nic content higher resistance and lower wattage is recomended?

dabeas99

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Basically, find what wattage you are comfortable with on your mod, on a 60 watt mod you definitely aren't going to hurt anything by cranking it up. But, to answer your question lower wattage is suggested for juices that are higher in nicotine because of the harshness off the pull. Even after smoking for 20 years the first time I took a pull off a higher wattage rda w/ 12 nic I was coughing like I was hitting a bong again for the first time. And mind you, i had using a spinner type mod that I was vaping at 24 nic. Now my usual vape is 80 watts w/ 6 nic juice but, I have some higher nic juice that I use sometimes. When using the higher nic juice I usually turn it down to 35-45 watts. Like, I say it is all personal preference, there is no right or wrong. Just experiment and find what suites you best.

Twisted Vaping

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Like dabeas99 mentioned, it depends but the idea that high resistance coils are for MTL is not necessarily right.

This is for two reasons:

1. On a mechanical Mod, the lower the resitance the higher the Power Output.

2. Most Coils that are low in resistance have much mass of Material, like thick wire or complex builds like staple coils, Fused claptons and so On. And much mass needs much power to Heat up.

So Since you got a regulated mod just Play with the wattage that fits best for you.

The coil i recommended should fulfill your needs, i guess you should run it At around 25-35 Watts. You can also use it in TC

eireboi

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am looking to get into coil building.Would anybody be do kind to help me out with info.I'm baffled.I have a joytech ego aio box.I use .6/.5 single coils .I know they use stainless steel wire and organic cotton.How do I find out which wire width I need?And how do I find something thin or thick enough to wrap on.Many thanks in advance.Stephen.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am looking to get into coil building.Would anybody be do kind to help me out with info.I'm baffled.I have a joytech ego aio box.I use .6/.5 single coils .I know they use stainless steel wire and organic cotton.How do I find out which wire width I need?And how do I find something thin or thick enough to wrap on.Many thanks in advance.Stephen.
If you have an Android device I use an app called Vape Tool. You just select what coil type you want, select a resistance you are looking for, the gauge of Will you want to use, and the diameter coil you want to make. It will tell you how many wraps to make the coil you want to make. Awesome app. I hope that helps you out.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
hello, new here on the forum, and have my first question :) I have kayfun v5 withMTL kit on the way, and i need to build some nice coil for it. I will use it for MTL only vaping 12mg juice. I plan to use SS316l wire...my question is what kind of resistance is best to build? I was thinking something arround 1.5 ohm, but since SS wire is low resistance im not sure about what diameter to use?

If someone have a recomendation it would be helpful.

Thanks..
www.steam-engine.org is your best friend

eireboi

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you have an Android device I use an app called Vape Tool. You just select what coil type you want, select a resistance you are looking for, the gauge of Will you want to use, and the diameter coil you want to make. It will tell you how many wraps to make the coil you want to make. Awesome app. I hope that helps you out.

How do I find out gauge mm etc

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, the gauge of the wire should be written on the face of the spool. Should say something like 26awg (or 26g), 28awg etc. The mm is the diameter of the coil you are making. If there is a vape shop where you live, you might go there and pick up a cooling tool. You could usually find a cheap one for around $10. The bits will be marked 2.0, 2.5, 3.0 and so on. Those numbers are in mm (millimeters). I bought a UD coil tool set for like $50. That has all the tools you need to get started. Coil Master makes an even better one with an ohm meter. If I missed anything, please reply. I'll be glad to answer any questions. I love coil building and am glad to help any willing to ask.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Are you wanting to rebuild the disposable coil?

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For the kayfun v5 (and similar, v4 etc) when using ss316L I tend to prefer 28g. 30g will work too but it's a little more fragile being thinner. The 28g seems to hold up a little better for me when it comes to wicking and removing the old wick. Even gently tugging on old/wet wick the 30g wants to bunch up the coils (if spaced) and tug the coil around a bit.

As others mentioned it's not as necessary to worry about resistance in terms of building high or low resistance for mtl. What I have found though is that slightly higher resistance goes hand in hand with thinner gauge wire. Thinner gauge wire ramps up faster. Taking mtl puffs I've found I want vapor production to start as soon as possible. It's a matter of only being able to take in so much vapor with the volume of the mouth, if the vapor production doesn't begin for a split second or so all you're getting is air. That can be overcome by taking a few primer puffs to get the chimney full of vapor for a nice 'drag'.

You don't want to completely compensate by going higher wattage (heat) since there's only going to be finite airflow to cool the coil. More chance of burning the wick if the mtl puff can't sufficiently cool too much heat coming off a higher mass coil.

With direct lung hits, if the coil takes a split second or so to really start producing vapor it doesn't seem to matter as much due to the sheer volume of vapor being inhaled. It will still be a satisfying hit. Think of it like a glass of water. Simply taking a sip it's awkward if you start sipping before there's water at the lips, getting only a small portion of water at the end of the 'sip'. Might even make you choke or cough because it's awkward. That vs chugging water, it doesn't matter the water isn't right there at the brim of the glass because after a couple gulps there's a nice big flow of water.

Just what I've experienced with it, hope it helps. I'd agree though good call on the mtl kit for the v5, it's more of a restrictive lung hitter in the default configuration. Not really tight enough for a proper mtl (compared to cigs since that was my experience with mtl as an ex smoker). The v5 is more convenient to break down for cleaning and reassembly vs the v4 which is more like a 1000 piece puzzle. It also doesn't suffer the issues of the small spring in the base of the deck that the v4 uses which can sometimes create poor contact unless you fiddle with it and turn the juice flow a little back and forth.

eireboi

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, the gauge of the wire should be written on the face of the spool. Should say something like 26awg (or 26g), 28awg etc. The mm is the diameter of the coil you are making. If there is a vape shop where you live, you might go there and pick up a cooling tool. You could usually find a cheap one for around $10. The bits will be marked 2.0, 2.5, 3.0 and so on. Those numbers are in mm (millimeters). I bought a UD coil tool set for like $50. That has all the tools you need to get started. Coil Master makes an even better one with an ohm meter. If I missed anything, please reply. I'll be glad to answer any questions. I love coil building and am glad to help any willing to ask.

i meant to find out the wire that is already in the coil I want to replicate

SaphiraSoar

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Like dabeas99 mentioned, it depends but the idea that high resistance coils are for MTL is not necessarily right.

This is for two reasons:

1. On a mechanical Mod, the lower the resitance the higher the Power Output.

2. Most Coils that are low in resistance have much mass of Material, like thick wire or complex builds like staple coils, Fused claptons and so On. And much mass needs much power to Heat up.

So Since you got a regulated mod just Play with the wattage that fits best for you.

The coil i recommended should fulfill your needs, i guess you should run it At around 25-35 Watts. You can also use it in TC
This is true. I'm running a Kayfun 5 with
.6 ohm/18w and I'm strictly a MTLr.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors