Become a Patron!

Need help with metallic taste from coil.

Hello , first I'm new, well new to dripping. I been doing it for 3 months now. So I have been making coils and what not. Currently I'm using a 24g 1.6 ohm single with Japanese cotton. But I normally have help as every time I make a coil it seems to be shorting someplace. Ok so here is what I do.
Make a coil I first put it on the magma then connect it to my box and make sure its not touching anything other then the leads. I light it up till it is red then make my adjustment such as closer coil and centering. I then wick my cotton, now I don't use too little but I use enough to make it snug. I drip it wait about 30 sec then hit it and it tastes like metal I check it again make sure its not touching anything at all. Also make sure the cap when it's put on isn't touching. And still the same thing. Now what is weird is when I take the wick out and just drop a few drops on the coil it taste great. No metallic taste. So I used less cotton and still the same thing. I don't know what else to try. I normally have to make like 3-5 coils till I fiddle with it and it somehow works.
I looked at many videos and tutorials. I feel lost.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
26 gauge is still pretty thick wire for a 1.6 ohm coil - it's probably taking a while to heat up? Generally for a coil of that resistance I'd use 28 gauge, which would heat up and cool down faster. I wonder if you have a hot leg, perhaps?

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Try less cotton.

You are only the second person I have ever heard say that they can taste coils. The first one is here.

When I take the cotton out I heat it up and it starts at the middle and moves out so it is heating correctly and there is no hot zone. I am using a 100 watt regulated box at 32 watts cause I don't like super hot vapes. When I bring it to the shop they put a coil in same as above and it's fine. They keep saying the coil is probably touching something but it isn't. I will try less cotton again.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree with trying less cotton. But make sure the cotton is enough that it's contacting the coil all the way around.

Have you tried it with a different juice?

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I dont know if this helps but the only time I ever tasted the metal of a coil badly like that was in a Kayfun....I had accidently turned my watts up from 13 to 30 w/out realizing it and the coil got so hot in that little chamber that it instantly burned threw my cotton and gave me a bad hot kanthal taste that took an hour to get out of my mouth....I got home, cleaned and dry burned the coil, rewicked, over saturated with juice, gave it a few burns to get the "new cotton" taste off, juiced the wick, put it back together, filled the tank and it vaped fine off of the same coil for a few more days. Thats a big coil in a Magma with 26 gauge...maybe it's doing something like my over hot kayfun coil did.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
yeah, not cleaning a RDA well enough that has oil on it or a strong "metal" smell when you first get it can do it too, I always clean them so I forget about it. happy vaping!

Yeah it's weird cause I cleaned my big dripper and the other. I did clean the magma but with just soap and water. I dunno weird. And also I use that gauge cause I like a cooler vape. I'm not a cloud chaser but I get a decent cloud and it's taste great. Unless you can recommend a better setup for this?

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't know if I can recommend a better set up....I also prefer a cooler vape....I love my magma. I when I got it I just soaked it for an hour in everclear and then rinsed the shit out of it in a super hot water for awhile and it seemed to do the job just fine. I prefer flavor over vapor so I only build single coils in it. I've gone as low as 24 gauge wire with 8 wraps in it and with both airflow holes open it gave a good sized cloud and good flavor but my favorite coil in it is 26 gauge with 8 wraps on a 2.5 mm drill bit....nice and simple and not too warm. Its like a .65ish ohms. I don't really build low or go super high watts. liking a cooler vape and being a flavor chaser I've found using bigger drill bits and higher gauge wires keeps me happy. One of my favorite builds is a 27 gauge 7-8 wrap single coil in a TOBH...it's around .98ish and gives me a cool but slightly warm vape. I don't have a lot of juice lower than 12 mg cause I work a lot at that seems to be perfect in my kayfuns but when I go much above 25 watts it's too harsh for me.

VU Sponsors