Become a Patron!

Need help with Steam Engine what's the "Leg Length"

pricelessvapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
IMG_2451.PNG so I'm actually wrapping my first coils and not using prebuilt ones for the first time. What is leg length of the coils? Is it just the length before I curl the wires or is it the distance of the post holes?

Moueix

Shenanigannery Jedi. Welcome New Refugee's!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Priceless,

Leg length is the distance from the point where the wire leaves the circular coil, to the post contact. There are two of them, and the number is both distances added together. Ideally, you want to keep the two legs as short as possible.

pricelessvapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hi Priceless,

Leg length is the distance from the point where the wire leaves the circular coil, to the post contact. There are two of them, and the number is both distances added together. Ideally, you want to keep the two legs as short as possible.

Oh I was totally wrong lol Thanks I just wrapped it 6 times and checked the ohm but now I know next time I'll def use steam engine.

Moueix

Shenanigannery Jedi. Welcome New Refugee's!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh I was totally wrong lol Thanks I just wrapped it 6 times and checked the ohm but now I know next time I'll def use steam engine.

Excellent. Can you work the build that you have, backwards and have steam engine agree with your outcome? Always a good exercise to check that the wire gauge is what they actually sent you, etc. Sounds like you have a 6/5 wrap? That means 6 widths on one side, 5 on the other because of the legs. :) Be safe, sounds like you're doing great.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Moo is full of beans! Everyone knows knows legs are the tiny burs on the wires. ;)

No, Moo is steering you in the correct direction. Pardon my cutting up with him. :)

ETA: Just a minor note of extra help. You might want to get an ohm/volt meter for use in building coils. Also be aware that while Steam Engine is indeed a valued resource, it is meant more as guide than a definitive source. If you wrap according to their guidelines and come up a few points off from what they suggest you get, do not stress too much over it unless you're super way down low end.(1)

Watch your battery head space too. You look here for that under the label Amp Limit Headroom, try to keep it at 20% or better. This allows you to avoid damaging your batteries, or even possibly having one vent/explode on you. Apologies, not writing this to frighten you, or alarm you, merely provide awareness so you're better informed in building coils.

All in though, yes, you're on the correct "good" path here. :)

(1. Super way down low end = 0.05 or lower. You'll likely not need to sub-ohm that low ever, if you do be advised you're definitely pushing the risk factor to the high end. You'll be 'kissing dynamite' or 'sucking on a pipe bomb' at such a point. Did it once myself until I realized my maths was off and then got real scared, real quick, rebuilt a higher ohm coil set up real quick too. :) "All hail the evil Clapton dual coils on a single 18650! Hail! Hail! Hail!" :huh::crazy::teehee:)

Last edited:

VU Sponsors