Become a Patron!

Need help with temp control

Hey I have been vapeing for a few years now and I'm starting to try temp control. I have a smok mag 225w, 0.228 ohms ss316l stagger fused Clapton spaced coil. I'm running it at 40w and 175 degrees Celsius but it only ever gets to around 100 degrees, the vaper production is ok but not much flavour. What am I doing wrong

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Smok doesn't do very good TC from what I recall but I have never owned one to be sure. 175C is only about 350F. When I vape in TC I turn most of my devices up to the 450F - 470F range. I don't pay attention to what the device says it is outputting for watts or temp, I only care how warm the vapor feels.

I adjusted the resistance manually the and it seem to work ok up to about 200 degrees cilcius but any higher and if just keeps firing at full power because it never get to the temp

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Increase the wattage because I think you are low. I don't fire any coils in TC below 60 Watts. Just a thought.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
What Atomizer are you using and what coils? If you overheated SS316L that could give a metallic taste. Hope it helps~!

I'm using the pharaoh rda and pharaoh mini rta.i had tho it not really working at All with the rta. And yea that helps thanks

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
I'm using the pharaoh rda and pharaoh mini rta.i had tho it not really working at All with the rta. And yea that helps thanks
Where did you get the coils from? Have you checked if they are fully stainless steel? Reason I am asking is, if you got them lets say from amazon, some are labeled SS316 but that's the outer wrap. The core is actually something else, in most cases Kanthal or Nichrome. If that's the case, while Smok's TC mode is horrible, but it would kick you out of it, since since it's not true SS, if that's what you set it as. You also would then get a weird taste from it. Not sure if I would call it metalic tho lol.

The Wattage display in TC mode is only a indicator on how fast your mod gets to the set temperature. Lets say you set it to your 75 w, and 450F but take only a 3 second slow hit/puff/drag, your mod will maybe not archive the end temperature. Or it reaches the temperature too quickly, giving you a off taste or in some cases too much heat. What you can do is this, either set your wattage lower but bump up the temperature and take longer drags. Or bump the wattage up and lower the temperature, so you can take shorter drags.

Either way, temperature mode is not that difficult but it is also not as easy as just setting temperature x and wattage y. You will have to dial in your preferences and the only way to archive that is playing with the settings. Hence a lot of people stick with wattage mode because all you have to do is press 1 button which is either up or down lol. Just make sure that your coils are the right material for the mode/tcr you're running it in/at etc.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I "sub ohm" on everything except the NC. But, yeah: I like ,5/6/7/8 more than .4/3/2/1

I can live in the 30's, but.. I'd much rather drop to the 20's - and return to VW ;-)

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I can live in the 30's, but.. I'd much rather drop to the 20's - and return to VW ;-)

I vape anywhere from 9.5W to over 100W in TC Mode. I don't believe there is such a thing DTL/MTL because all my vapor goes into my mouth and I don't have a chest tube so it can't go DTL. But right now I am at 40W in Wattage mode.

Severinomotta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Hi you guys, new here. Quite a noob but trying to learn. I've reccently bought the coils in the pic above . Are they all SS316L to use TC? Dont know if is a placebo effect bui it seens to be working fine. Im using a Revenger X with Zeus Duas core with clapton 0,42 (in acctualy it works wit .22 cause of the dual coil). And im using it in CCT, going from 225 celcius, 225 again, 225 again, 200, 200 again, 240, 240 again 220, 225 and 225 at the end (it allow me to change temp each 0,5 sec). My Watts is set at 55 and TCR 100. Do you guys think is a nice set-up? Thanks and hope to join more the community. Best. Severino Motta

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2018-07-17 at 18.01.41.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-07-17 at 18.01.41.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 2

VU Sponsors