Become a Patron!

NEED HELP!!!

Blast2012

Member For 2 Years
I just got into vaping a little while ago I have a g priv 2 mod and I have a therorem rta sitting on top and I was wondering about building I usually build around 2 or 3 ohms and Vape around 40 or so watts I was just wondering if someone could help me understand if this is safe or not and what I should be building around ohms wise and anything else I might need to know about regulated vaping any knowledge is greatly appreciated

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
2 or 3 ohms and Vape around 40 or so watts

Did you mean .2 or .3 ohms? 40 watts seems high for actual 2 or 3 ohms :)

As long as you are practicing good battery safety with your regulated mod and like how it vapes, you should be just fine doing what you are doing

If you don't enjoy it, describe what is missing or what you don't like, and maybe we can point you in a different direction

Oh, and welcome to VU :wave:

Blast2012

Member For 2 Years
Everything is good I was just wondering about that because when I Vape at like 60 or so watts I get a burnt taste, so do I have to build higher ohms for higher wattage?

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Why do you want to up the wattage?

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Like a higher wattage when I'm drinking lol

Do you actually Build your own coils, or does someone else make them for you...are you drunk right now...

I need to know if you actually build your own coils before I make any suggestions, it doesn't sound like you know how, so far...with the 2 or 3 ohms thing...

Blast2012

Member For 2 Years
I meant to put .2 and .3 I have a .22 ohm build in right now and no not drunk right now lol just figured I'd get on here I was feeling pretty good last weekend and turned my watts up a little high and got that burnt taste, I just wanted to learn a little more about ohms if anybody wants to tell me anything I need to know I'd surely appreciate it and thanks to everybody that helped!!!!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How many watts and ohms and such is complicated.
Depends on the atty the airflow in the atty, the mass of the coil ie is it a simple round wire or a fancy alien clapton thing. Coils with more mass need more watts but if the atty won't handle it.
And round wire coil depend on both the ohms and the wire size or gauge. Generally the fatter the wire or lower the gauge number the more watts it can handle.

There is no one answer for you....
It is to a large extent trial and error to find what works best for you in the atty that you are using.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As an example. I have been building all my coils for around 2 years.
Not long ago I got a Wasp RDA.
took me about 5 different coil builds to find the coil that suited me in it.
the coil placement in an atomizer can make a difference as well. A little higher or lower for instance.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I meant to put .2 and .3 I have a .22 ohm build in right now and no not drunk right now lol just figured I'd get on here I was feeling pretty good last weekend and turned my watts up a little high and got that burnt taste, I just wanted to learn a little more about ohms if anybody wants to tell me anything I need to know I'd surely appreciate it and thanks to everybody that helped!!!!

Try this forum section:
http://vapingunderground.com/forums/coil-building.44/
Be prepared for tons of help :D

Blast2012

Member For 2 Years
I just built a new coil yesterday at like 12 I'm getting a burnt taste I've got a 20 gauge kanthal build reading .32 ohms I'm vaping it at 45 watts I've hit it around 120 times I don't know if I've got too much cotton in it or what or if it's not wicking right or what any help would be appreciated I'm vaping it on g priv 2 on the therorem tank

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I just built a new coil yesterday at like 12 I'm getting a burnt taste I've got a 20 gauge kanthal build reading .32 ohms I'm vaping it at 45 watts I've hit it around 120 times I don't know if I've got too much cotton in it or what or if it's not wicking right or what any help would be appreciated I'm vaping it on g priv 2 on the therorem tank

Are you sure it's 20 gauge? Single coil with 7 or so wraps?

Do you heat your coils before wicking to make sure there are no hot spots, that is places where the wire touches and glows super red faster than any other part

Coils should glow from the inside first, always

20 guage is super thick wire, try at least 24 (suggestion) or 26

Cotton should be thick enough to slide through the coil back and forth, and trim the cotton outside the coil (the tails) a little so it can soak up juice faster

Make sure your cotton is juicy before taking a puff

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
20 ga wire is fat stuff. the largest I have used is 24 and then backed back to 26 gauge.
45 watts seems a bit low for 20 gauge though and it may be an issue with the atty airflow at higher wattages?

Sorry cannot be a lot of help on this as I am not familiar with that atty.

Blast2012

Member For 2 Years
Yeah it's 20 I got some 28 gauge the other day and tried to build a single coil and it come out to be like 1.07 I think but I wrapped like 10 or so times I don't really like it but I seen a double coil parallel build I might try that 24 that is probably what I'll buy next thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it, any tips about the atty that's probably the only thing I really don't know anything about when I'm building, I always tighten the coil after I wrap it put it in the atomizer pulse it pinch and scrap it till it glows from the inside out cut my cotton depending on my inner diameter cut the tails and fluff them put juice on the cotton then fill up my tank

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yeah it's 20 I got some 28 gauge the other day and tried to build a single coil and it come out to be like 1.07 I think but I wrapped like 10 or so times I don't really like it but I seen a double coil parallel build I might try that 24 that is probably what I'll buy next thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it, any tips about the atty that's probably the only thing I really don't know anything about when I'm building, I always tighten the coil after I wrap it put it in the atomizer pulse it pinch and scrap it till it glows from the inside out cut my cotton depending on my inner diameter cut the tails and fluff them put juice on the cotton then fill up my tank

You could wrap three strands of 28 together into a single coil and it would be a good vape

Easy way would be cut like 15 inches of 28 wire, take a couple pairs of pliers and pull each end apart till you feel it stretch (that will straighten the wire out), then take pliers and bend the wire at 5 inches so the one wire is bent twice into 3 strands...makes wrapping parallel easy

Blast2012

Member For 2 Years
Anybody know why your ohms jump I built a .30 ohm build now it's saying .70 on my ohm reader does that mean you shorted it or what thanks in advance

Blazel78

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Check to make sure your screws are tightened enough. It could be loose causing a weak connection which would make your ohms jump. Also don't let the coil touch the top cap.

Blast2012

Member For 2 Years
So if it was touching the top cap and I take the top cap off will the ohms go back to normal or do I need to build another coil?

Blast2012

Member For 2 Years
Thanks I just got home and tightened up the connection and its stayed on .30 ohms now thanks for the help I really appreciate it

Blast2012

Member For 2 Years
If I had my coil glowing from the inside out before it started jumping ohms do you think my coil is still good

Blazel78

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah it should be. If it's vaping funny, just take the cotton out and try to get the hot spots out again. Depending on the coil you should be good for a while if you take care of it. Can you take a pic?

VU Sponsors