Become a Patron!

Need safety help please.

Hi guys,

So after vaping for almost a year. (The only thing that got me off of smoking) my box died. Ijoypd270 with aspire nautilus 2. Some pre-installed ijoy batteries. The box started saying shorted. (Batteries looked fine but it freaked me out and I chucked the lot). I also exclusively charged the batteries through the box for the entire time I used it.
So after all this I've bought some new gear. And read up on batteries and feel stupid to of been charging 2 batteries through a mod for a year. But I'm pretty confused if my new build is safe. As that's what I'm concerned about. I've got kids etc... Last thing I want is a random explosion/fire with kids in the house. (I don't vape in the house but keep it in the kitchen when not in use)

Ok so here is where I need help.
I've bought a dotmod 75 with a Samsung 30q 3000mah battery. And I'll be using either a nautilus 2 with a 0.7ohm coil at 19w OR a dotmod Petri standard tank with twisted coil 0.5ohm at 35-40w.
(Don't hate on the dotmod, it just looked nice to me)

So is this all safe? I've been told to make sure my battery doesn't go over 15amps? My battery says 3.7v but when vaping I'm at 4v? I'm generally just very confused.

Box will never go above 40w. I need numbers and to know if I'm safe and if I need to change anything. I want this to be my last box before I finally quit vaping. As the long term goal is to be smoke and vape free this year. Is it safe to charge through the box or should I invest in a battery charger. I emailed dotmod and they said it's fine to charge through the box?
Sorry for the wall of text. Hoping for someone in the know to help me out. Safety is now my top priority as I was lax when I started out.

Many thanks,
Tommy.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
19CEA7A7-713D-4B70-B364-57150B2A4C0C.jpeg

The 30q was tested to be a 20a battery. You should be good with that setup altogether. The dot box is a great mod too btw!

The only thing I would add to what you have is another set of batteries and an external Charger. As a general rule, I personally don’t trust the onboard chargers for anything other than emergency. Not because they are unsafe; but, because I would rather make sure they were available as a backup and it’s easier to swap out batteries than use the mod while it’s Plugged in. If that port ever breaks for any reason you’ll need to use an external charger anyway; plus, if the mod were updateable you would lose that ability. Again, that’s just a personal preference thing.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I've been told to make sure my battery doesn't go over 15amps? My battery says 3.7v but when vaping I'm at 4v?
Regulated mod has safety features, so your safe with more than 15A. That 3.7v is the batteries nominal voltage and 4.2v is max-when it's fully charged. Pretty sure that mod has low voltage cut-off, won't fire if battery drained too low, you can check that.
I agree with external charger for reasons already stated, and a good one doesn't cost much. Can charge a second cell in a safer place than kitchen and if something happened it won't take the mod with it.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
You can safely go up to your mod's max wattage with that battery, you can charge it in the mod (good mod), have a nice day

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
So I'm ok running the dotmod at max of 40w with the Samsung 30q? I've ordered and external charger and if the 30q is a good safe choice I'll order some more batteries too. Thanks so much for the replies guys.
Yes you’re safe

VU Sponsors