Become a Patron!

Need settings help to avoid burning juice sprayed into my mouth!

Calista

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm using eLeaf iStick TC40W, Cubis tank, .5 ohm atomizer, and 70 VG/30 PG juice.

I've tried many, many watt levels, temperature levels and I can't get the spit of boiling oil juice in my mouth. I've changed the atomizer too. Does anyone have a temp or watt level that works for them?

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I think the main thing that's required is sufficient airflow. Without enough airflow, you're just sucking juice into your mouth, rather than vapor. I've always enjoyed a very tight draw, like a cigarette's or a carto's, but lately I've had a lot of juice in my mouth and I hate it, it burns and tastes nasty. So I went back to a top cap on my RDA that allows just a little more air, and it seems to have eliminated the problem.

I know nothing about the Cubis, but try opening the airflow a little, see if that helps.

Andria

Calista

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks, Andria. I forgot to mention that, yes, I have tried it at various airflow settings as well. It "seemed" to help at settings over 300F, but it's just too hot. The tank I was using, GS Air that came with it, is very small and I can't seem to find the atomizers for it (.12 ohm). I had that set close to 500. A friend had a different mod and uses 11 watts with that tank. I can't get any vapor at that setting.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thanks, Andria. I forgot to mention that, yes, I have tried it at various airflow settings as well. It "seemed" to help at settings over 300F, but it's just too hot. The tank I was using, GS Air that came with it, is very small and I can't seem to find the atomizers for it (.12 ohm). I had that set close to 500. A friend had a different mod and uses 11 watts with that tank. I can't get any vapor at that setting.

Well, it sounds like you adjusted the temp, not the airflow. If there was more airflow, 300 wouldn't be all that hot -- I like a tight coolish vape, but on a TC mod, I regularly vaped at 350-375, without burning my mouth or making so much vapor I had an asthma attack. To open the airflow doesn't mean adjusting anything except how much air flows thru it when you take a hit -- super open usually means a full direct-to-lung hit; super-tight is a mouth to lung hit, like a cigarette, and it needs to be a lot cooler, lower wattage, or yeah it will get REAL hot, due to the lack of airflow. However, if it's too tight, too little airflow, it forms too great a suction on the juice, thus sucking it up into the driptip, instead of just vaporizing it -- 300 degrees may not be high enough to fully vaporize it, which could also cause the problem.

I don't use TC, I just set my wattage somewhere between 9 and 10 watts -- lower when the wick is fresh, to let it break in; higher once it's broken in and is vaping well. I like the draw very tight, because that's what I was used to with cigarettes, which means I have to keep the airflow very slight, but at such low wattage, if there's not enough airflow, then the juice won't fully vaporize, and the lack of air coming into the atty causes too great a suction when I take a hit, so juice, usually hot, is forced into my mouth, and that sucks! :D So leave the power or temp alone; just open the airflow and let it breathe a little, and see if that helps.

Andria

Calista

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes, I did change the airflow. I've changed the temp, I've changed the wattage, I've changed everything except the juice. The only time it did not seem to shoot juice into my mouth was when it was set at a high temp, but it's too hot. Yes, hot. HOT vapor and the mouthpiece becomes very hot. I did not have that problem on the smaller tank with over 100 degrees higher setting. :(
I know exactly what you're referring to as far as a cigarette-like hit. I've been able to move away from that a bit since I was finally able to quit smoking.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sounds like you are only using temperature control and maybe on a non TC coil?
TC only works on a TC coil and only on a matching TC coil.
TC-SS for SS coils, TC-NI for NI coils, etc.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
300 degrees is not hot enough to vaporize the juice effectively, that's why you are getting spit back. What type of coil are you using? Nickle, Titanium, or SS? Generally for a .5 Ohm coil you want a minimum of 40 watts and 450-460 degrees to get decent vapor.

If you are using just a Kanthal coil, set the wattage between 30 and 35 and have the airflow at least 3/4 open. You can go up or down in wattage from there. Don't use a Temperature control coil head in wattage mode only. You will burn it immediately.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It also could be the diameter of the coil. It is not breathing, so to speak. The coil may need to be adjusted, it could be a wicking issue, etc. I think you are having an airflow problem. No airflow equals hot coil at low temperatures. Much airflow on a larger coil will make things hotter and cool things off.

Look at your coil ID, height, wicking and distance from the rda air holes. Any of those can cause that issue. Spaced coils can cause it, also.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hmmm ok. Maybe try an angled adapter, for the driptip, and/or a "knucklehead" (swivel) driptip; I've used those exclusively since I switched from tanks to RDAs, because at such low wattage, it does tend to pop a lot, even when I'm not sucking juice into my mouth.

Like these:
offsetdriptips2.jpg

The 2 stainless ones are the angled adapters, the black is a knucklehead, though there are also stainless knuckleheads of various types. I know that ecblendflavors.com has both, cheap, about $3 each, and their stainless knucklehead is a really good design, nice smooth rounded lip, for your lips' comfort. These do help a lot with the "hot spats"; I couldn't use RDAs without them.

Andria

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It also could be the diameter of the coil. It is not breathing, so to speak. The coil may need to be adjusted, it could be a wicking issue, etc. I think you are having an airflow problem. No airflow equals hot coil at low temperatures. Much airflow on a larger coil will make things hotter and cool things off.

Look at your coil ID, height, wicking and distance from the rda air holes. Any of those can cause that issue. Spaced coils can cause it, also.
I think it's a stock coil head....

Calista

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks, everyone. It is not a TC coil. Duh. Will it be okay if I keep the eLeaf in VW mode?

Calista

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hmmm ok. Maybe try an angled adapter, for the driptip, and/or a "knucklehead" (swivel) driptip; I've used those exclusively since I switched from tanks to RDAs, because at such low wattage, it does tend to pop a lot, even when I'm not sucking juice into my mouth.

Like these:
View attachment 55109

The 2 stainless ones are the angled adapters, the black is a knucklehead, though there are also stainless knuckleheads of various types. I know that ecblendflavors.com has both, cheap, about $3 each, and their stainless knucklehead is a really good design, nice smooth rounded lip, for your lips' comfort. These do help a lot with the "hot spats"; I couldn't use RDAs without them.

Andria
Very cool. Thanks!

Calista

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
300 degrees is not hot enough to vaporize the juice effectively, that's why you are getting spit back. What type of coil are you using? Nickle, Titanium, or SS? Generally for a .5 Ohm coil you want a minimum of 40 watts and 450-460 degrees to get decent vapor.

If you are using just a Kanthal coil, set the wattage between 30 and 35 and have the airflow at least 3/4 open. You can go up or down in wattage from there. Don't use a Temperature control coil head in wattage mode only. You will burn it immediately.
Thanks, Zamazam. I'll try it at 40 watts. If that doesn't work, I'll trade the tank with my neighbor.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
OK, that explains the spitting. The stock coil not being TC was not being heated up enough to vaporize the eliquid. 40 Watts is fine, if it's too hot, turn it down to 35. We're here to help, just let us know how it turned out. We've been there before.

GtownGeorge

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My TC40 really likes Kanger tanks. I run .5 coils and usually between 30 and 40 watts. My juice is 50/50 or 60/40. I stay away from TC mode. Good luck.

Calista

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
OK, that explains the spitting. The stock coil not being TC was not being heated up enough to vaporize the eliquid. 40 Watts is fine, if it's too hot, turn it down to 35. We're here to help, just let us know how it turned out. We've been there before.
Thanks. I started at 40 and worked my way down to 30. That's not spitting and not too hot. I think I'll go up some as it seems more flavorful at higher wattage.

Calista

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My TC40 really likes Kanger tanks. I run .5 coils and usually between 30 and 40 watts. My juice is 50/50 or 60/40. I stay away from TC mode. Good luck.
Thanks! Good to know. I'm learning as I go with this. I do love my AIO and Kanger Subvod as I just fill and vape. I do wish they had a battery indicator.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks. I started at 40 and worked my way down to 30. That's not spitting and not too hot. I think I'll go up some as it seems more flavorful at higher wattage.
You found your sweet spot! Congratulations! :stars:

PreparationHero

I drink and I know things
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee

Spray is a major problem with my limitless so I cut a little piece of ss mesh screen to fit snug under the drip tip. You can get them at head shops or hardware stores. Works like a charm!

Calista

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Interesting. Someone suggested that I use a .5 coil, which has a built-in screen. By that time I had switched to my Melo 2 tank which I'm LOVING.

GtownGeorge

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks! Good to know. I'm learning as I go with this. I do love my AIO and Kanger Subvod as I just fill and vape. I do wish they had a battery indicator.

If you like the AIO & Subvod, try a iJust2. 2600mah battery and 5.5 ml capacity. That is my around town vape.

Calista

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I do like the looks of that setup. My AIO is feeling "weak" if that makes sense. When I first stopped smoking it was my fave as I could get the same feel as drawing from a cig. Now I'm reaching for my Subvod and iStick first.

GtownGeorge

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Issue with iJust2 is the airflow is not adjustable without adding the ugly ring. I don't need to adjust the airflow so it's not an issue with me. I have 3 of them. $28 to $30 on eBay. I also use the .3ohm coils. At full charge its 80-100 watts and tapers off with use. Again, I do not find this an issue as at low end its probably 30 watts.

savagebee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Issue with iJust2 is the airflow is not adjustable without adding the ugly ring. I don't need to adjust the airflow so it's not an issue with me. I have 3 of them. $28 to $30 on eBay. I also use the .3ohm coils. At full charge its 80-100 watts and tapers off with use. Again, I do not find this an issue as at low end its probably 30 watts.
I thought the ijust2 was maxxed at 40 watts? This was my first real setup, and I loved it. I was wrong! 30 to 100 watts is correct, my wife is currently using hers with a royal hunter as a little dripper, and it works great. It's more versatile than it gets credit for

Last edited:

Calista

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
$25.99 at vapenw.com. I've never purchased from them, but they do have a nice video review of it.
I do enjoy airflow control. The ugly ring can also help break the fall if you drop the device, I'd guess. How long to the .3 coils hold you and are the pricey?

GtownGeorge

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hard for me to tell how long the coils last as I have 3 of the devices I get a couple of weeks B4 I change them. I paid $11.50 for a 5 pack of .3ohm on eBay shipped free. The price I told you for the device did include free shipping. Don't know where you are located but I usually get everything but juice from eBay. For juice I started with a local shop and have switched to Tomorrow Vapes,

VU Sponsors