Become a Patron!

Need some advice

bwhit1387

Member For 1 Year
Started vaping to calm nicotine cravings at work and 6mg has done pretty decent for that. Now trying to drop butts completely, But if I’m drinking I’m not getting the same feeling and reach for my cigarettes. Wondering what mg you started with trying to quit? And if I’m just worried about how much I should be safely vaping to get the actual feel of a cigarette. Thanks for input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
you might want to try Nic Salts maybe at 50mg that will light your fire while you are drinking

bwhit1387

Member For 1 Year
you might want to try Nic Salts maybe at 50mg that will light your fire while you are drinking

I was using a Juul and didn’t get anything from it and I use a sub-ohm tank now that I’ve read not to use nic salts in, is that correct

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I was using a Juul and didn’t get anything from it and I use a sub-ohm tank now that I’ve read not to use nic salts in, is that correct

that is correct

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I'd first try upping the nic in your current juice/tank. I have a friend that started with 24mg. I first tried 18mg and it was too high. I knew it was too high because as far as nic fix, it was like smoking a cigarette when I didn't want one. I bought 12 to mix with 18, and that 15mg worked well in the MTL I started with. When I switched to sub ohm, I lowered it to 12mg because I wanted to lower the nic and possibly go to 0 one day. I did get it down to 9, then to what I now use in rebuildables, which is 6mg.
As far as how much to safely vape, it's different for different folks. The nic is the only concern, and if you start getting too much, just vape less.
Takes a little trial/error to get your nic level like you want. While your finding your sweet spot, error on the side of a little less nic because you can always vape more, which is better than too much nic.

Last edited:

scwcustoms63

Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Adding more PG will give a more realistic throat hit. Upping Nicotine only steepens the addiction. I was in the same boat as you, so I added more PG and stiffened the draw. Made it feel like I was actually smoking a cig. Good luck

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Upping Nicotine only steepens the addiction.
As to if more than 6mg vaping steepens nic addiction - depends on how much nic the body is/was getting from the cigs vs how often you vape.
With both, we just satisfy the craving.
I agree with trying higher PG as well.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Started vaping to calm nicotine cravings at work and 6mg has done pretty decent for that. Now trying to drop butts completely, But if I’m drinking I’m not getting the same feeling and reach for my cigarettes. Wondering what mg you started with trying to quit? And if I’m just worried about how much I should be safely vaping to get the actual feel of a cigarette. Thanks for input

If you really want to quit cigs do NOT carry any with you and dump them.
That applies to quitting smoking using ANY means.
And carry no lighter either.

scwcustoms63

Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
As to if more than 6mg vaping steepens nic addiction - depends on how much nic the body is/was getting from the cigs vs how often you vape.
With both, we just satisfy the craving.
I agree with trying higher PG as well.
The ultimate goal is to kick nicotine, so why would you increase it if you want to quit smoking?? Doesn't make any sense. I see what you are saying, but I am no doctor, so telling someone to increase their nicotine is just crazy, considering he is the only one who knows how much he can handle. Try the safer option first, then do what YOU feel you need to do.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vaping is a good way to quit the smokes if you really want to quit the smokes.
Is it an exact replacement? No.

I do have to wonder if vaping with smoking is worse than just smoking though.
Seems like the PG/VG that you inhale might cause more of the bad stuff in smoke to 'stick' in the lungs?

I quit a 40+ yr smoking habit with cigalikes 3+ years ago.
Was it easy? Not really but it worked where other quitting attempts over the years had failed.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
The #1 goal in the beginning to not smoke. Whatever that takes.

Nic and PG both provide throat hit and you can increase one or the other or both, depending on what ratio your using now, and where you get your juice from. And like said, don't buy or bum cigs in weaker times, like when drinking.

I smoked 40+ yrs as well. Vaping made it pretty easy for me. I dual used the first week with the same amount of cigs I had been smoking in a day. Week 2 was 10, then none since (3 1/2 yrs). But I had a lot of want to. You have to have enough want to.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Still get the occasional urge for a smoke.
But easy to deal with now just vape and have NO cigs :)

If they are handy then you will flip one out before you know it....

scwcustoms63

Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Still get the occasional urge for a smoke.
But easy to deal with now just vape and have NO cigs :)

If they are handy then you will flip one out before you know it....
Definitely have to want to quit smoking or you never will. I still have the urge as well, but I am just sick and tired, of being sick and tired. I am a little over two weeks now, and my wife still smokes. Does it bother me? No. I just know where I am at with it. She will quit when she is ready, and I don't get onto her, or anything about it. She is grown, and like i said, she will quit when she is ready.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
At first I did not want to quit smoking. Had pretty much given up on quitting. My longest previous attempt was 6 months of no smoking.
Wife sneaked and bought me an overpriced cigalike kit.
I knew virtually nothing about vaping at the time...
So I figured I would give it a try. Was surprised and decided to give it a go.
1 week later I smoked NO cigs and none in the over 3 years since.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The ultimate goal is to kick nicotine, so why would you increase it if you want to quit smoking?? Doesn't make any sense. I see what you are saying, but I am no doctor, so telling someone to increase their nicotine is just crazy, considering he is the only one who knows how much he can handle. Try the safer option first, then do what YOU feel you need to do.

No, the goal is to quit smoking cigarettes. You obviously don't know much about vaping, cigarettes and nicotine.

OhmzRaw

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

The reason why the guys are suggesting upping the nicotine is so that OP can satisfy his cravings using a safer method of nicotine delivery. The first goal here is to stop smoking cigarettes and try transitioning to vaping which is known to be significantly safer than smoking.

Once OP manages to find the right setup and Nicotine level to satisfy his cravings and is completely off cigarettes, he can drop the nicotine levels of his juice and slowly drift away from nicotine completely.

If someone needs let's say a 6mg juice and you were to give them 3mg, all that will happen is that they will vape more to satisfy their cravings. I use 3mg, 6mg, 35mg (salts) 50mg (salts) and when I use a 50mg salt juice in a pod device, I'll take much much less draws as I would satisfy my cravings quicker, with less puffs. For this reason, it makes sense for the OP to up his nicotine level so that he can get his fix.

scwcustoms63

Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
The reason why the guys are suggesting upping the nicotine is so that OP can satisfy his cravings using a safer method of nicotine delivery. The first goal here is to stop smoking cigarettes and try transitioning to vaping which is known to be significantly safer than smoking.

Once OP manages to find the right setup and Nicotine level to satisfy his cravings and is completely off cigarettes, he can drop the nicotine levels of his juice and slowly drift away from nicotine completely.

If someone needs let's say a 6mg juice and you were to give them 3mg, all that will happen is that they will vape more to satisfy their cravings. I use 3mg, 6mg, 35mg (salts) 50mg (salts) and when I use a 50mg salt juice in a pod device, I'll take much much less draws as I would satisfy my cravings quicker, with less puffs. For this reason, it makes sense for the OP to up his nicotine level so that he can get his fix.
Yes, That does make perfect sense to me now. Well spoken.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep I started with 18 mg nic, a few weeks and down to 12 mg a month or two and down to 6mg.
Now down to 1.5 mg and will likely stay there.

scwcustoms63

Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Yep I started with 18 mg nic, a few weeks and down to 12 mg a month or two and down to 6mg.
Now down to 1.5 mg and will likely stay there.
I started vaping, 4 years ago, on 12, then 6, 3 then 0. I started smoking again, for about 2 years, after 1 1/2 years smoke free and started vaping again recently. I am over 2 weeks smoke free now, and I'm only at 6. I sub ohm, so I don't need a high MG dose. I don't cloud chase. I just like it like that, lol.

kevin littell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I hate to over simplify this, but I gave up the stinkies in 2011 for a vape and one june 3rd I gave all my vape gear away and havent touched either since.

Its really easy.

Nic cravings dont kill, they do go away after awhile even if you do NOTHING about them.

(toss it all in the trash or spend more money on gear.... If you suck on 3mg or 24mg long enough the nic fit goes away....If you drink 3 or 4 more beers without it still goes away. IMHO, if you drinking beer switch to liquor, if your drinking liquor drink more of it. You cant vape with your hands full! )

(PS this is mostly SARCASM....Ya'll remember what that is RIGHT?)

VU Sponsors