Become a Patron!

Need some advise

Jan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello everyone...

For starters, I just start vaping 1 month ago. The thing that I bought for my first vape is this;

1. 4nine mod
2. Trident RDA
3. 18650 battery x 4
4. trustfire charger x 1
5. Cotton wick
6. 30 Awg kanthal wire
7. ohm reader

I already try the small ecig thingy, but it doesn't work out for me. that's when I want to upgrade my vaping experience by getting all of the stuff above. I want to ask for all of your opinions, am I in the right track?

Jan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks. But there is something strange about my battery. Most rechargeable battery have their C rating, yet my battery don't have that. Is this
worth worrying?

Goonk-2800mAh-18650-Battery-with-ICR-E-cigarette-mod-E-Cig-kits.jpg
This is my battery by the way.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Its a nice setup for sure. I'm always wary on a new vapor starting with a mechanical and RDA, a hybrid mechanical at that. call me fuddy duddy but i figure a good regulated device with safety features can provide a nice vape especially with sub ohm tanks.
In which case please do not use a sub ohm tank on that mod!!! There is npt enough 510 protruding on those to give you a safe connection.

As to the battery question, I've been vaping for a little over a year and have never seen that battery, but, looking at the mah rating alone I would not use them..... especially on hybrid mod.
If you insist on using that mod, do yourself a favor and get good batteries like a Samsung25r, LGHE4 or a Sony VTC4.
Rtdvapor sells all three on their website.
You may however, for now, be better off getting an iStick50w, it has a built in battery, and enough power to give you good performance with safety features that will help keep you safe while you're learning to build safely. It's also almost the same price as 4 Samsung batteries; and, you can use the sub ohm tanks on the istick as well. should you chose to get one. ALOT of dripping atty's also should not be used on that mod also, if the positive pin In the 510 connection does not protrude far enough dangerous things can happen, I don't know whose version of the trident you have to know if that is one of the ones that can be used your not.
Before learning to build, learn ohms law, and battery safety. Whiskey put some great links up above please, check those out.
Welcome to a new world and happy vaping

Last edited:

Jan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
thanks man. I will change the battery when I get the chance and I think I'm gonna stick with my setup for now. When I get the hang of it, I try something more advance. Another question, what is sub ohm tanks? on second thought, what is sub ohm? ... oh, man.. so much to learn o_O

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
So much to learn is why I was advising you to get the istick.
So much to learn and it lets you learn safely.

Sub ohm is vaping below one ohm. Tanks like the Atlantis, sub tank, arctic and several others have changeable premade coils below 1ohm, when used on a mod like the 4nine, where there is a hybrid top(meaning the atomizer connects directly with the batteries) can cause a hard short and either kill the batteries or cause the batteries to vent.

Any atomizer can cause that type of situation, including your trident. I don't have one so I am unsure of its 510. Even if I did, with so many clone versions of that atomizer it would be a guess for me to say so. The fact that you dont know is more the reason to at a minimum check out hose links from whiskey and maybe get with some one that can help you learn.
Are you trying to quit smoking? Is that what has you exploring vaping?

Reactions: Jan

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
And by the way, when you get new batteries, consider a new charger as well.

As a rule of thumb,don't buy batteries or chargers when the word "Fire" is in the brand name.

Sub ohm pertains to any topper with a coil that has a resistance of less than 1.0 ohms.

Jan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ok, now I understand. yeah. I'm trying to quit smoking. been vaping for a month slowly change my habit. Suddenly puffing the old cigs makes me wanna puke after changing my taste to ecig. probably a good thing i suppose.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well, have you been using that setup you posted above?

Jan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i have. but i got to say, my mod sometimes gets hot quickly when i fired it up more than 5sec. don't know what the cause.

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I second firebirds advice, shelf the 4 nine for now and start safe (er).
A 50w regulated is more than enough to keep you satisfied while learning safe builds.

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
a mechanical mod works by passing electricity up through the positive post to the coil then it runs back down the mod to the negative in the battery. this will cause heat. that combined with a bad mod and battery is a extremely dangerous situation.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Your build is probably too low for the batteries meaning you're pushing the batteries too hard and they are going to vent.

Either way, your fingers are worth more than the 50bucks you'll spend on an istick 50w.
101vape.com has them in stock.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
i have. but i got to say, my mod sometimes gets hot quickly when i fired it up more than 5sec. don't know what the cause.

Most likely those cheap assed "Goonk" batteries you are using.

They just are not capable of supplying the power that you build is demanding of them.

Simple mistake that many a new vaper has made not knowing any better because no one has told them anything different.

I would strongly advise you stop using the setup you have described until you get a couple of new batteries.

There is a better than good chance that if you keep on using it with those batteries, you are going to hurt yourself or set fire to something.

Or both!

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Sorry to say but those batteries may be fine in a flashlight but not for vaping.

You can see for yourself that they are not working. Your mod should not be heating up at ALL!

Find a vape shop and get a pair of Efest Purple batteries. Everyone has those.

Jan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Your build is probably too low for the batteries meaning you're pushing the batteries too hard and they are going to vent.

Either way, your fingers are worth more than the 50bucks you'll spend on an istick 50w.
101vape.com has them in stock.
I'll consider your suggestion. maybe for now ill put down my ecig. dun wan to blow my finger off.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
While you are at the shop tell them you are new to all this and ask them to show you how to build it to a 1 ohm(being new that should ne easy to replicate and perform well for you) also ask them to check and make sure your 510 is sufficient to run in a mechanical.
Pay attention to how they do your build as well, the little bit of time spent will teach you ALOT and hopefully keep you safe.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
around 1.87 if i'm not mistaking.

Hi Jan. 1.87 Ohms is high for a dripper. Since you are using a FourNine mod, you need to be especially careful since the top cap is a hybrid, the positive center pin on your atomizer HAS to protrude at least 1mm, or you will get a direct short, causing heat and damage to your battery. Please post a photo of the Trident, I want to make sure you are not putting yourself in danger with it.

Those el cheapo Chinese batteries are not any good for vaping, they don't have the amperage headroom needed to power a dripper. Don't use them. Get a set of Samsung 25R's, or LGHE2/HE4, or the Efest's UncleRJ recommended.

I'm concerned that as a new vaper, you were sold an advanced setup with crappy, dangerous batteries. Hybrid top cap mechanical mods are tricky even for experienced re-builders, you've got to understand how they work from an electrical standpoint. What ever you do, DO NOT use an Atlantis sub -tank on the fournine. That's a dangerous accident waiting to happen.

Get to know and love Ohms Law. It is your best buddy when you are rebuilding atomizers and using mechanical mods.
Start here with Steamengine, it's a great online calculator for rebuilding: http://www.steam-engine.org/ohm.asp

Last edited:

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
+1 for better batteries.
If its getting hot within a few seconds of firing somethings not right and should be addressed while you have all of your fingers and you haven't made the 5 o'clock news yet.

With a hybrid top cap like the 4nine, like everyone has said your positive pin HAS to stick out past the connecting post or the post (negative) will touch the top of your battery (positive) and short. Really bad stuff happens. That is not a beginners mod.
Also the 4nine is not vented! Screw up and that thing is not venting, its exploding. I will see if i can find a pic of how I vented mine for you. Its a must to get that thing vented.

Most new drippers have a long positive pin because the hybrid top is becoming more popular so I would think the trident is ok but make sure on any aty you put on the 4nine or any hybrid top mod.

30g wire is not the right stuff to be building a dripper with, 1.8ohms resistance is not the right resistance to put on a unregulated mod (no choice of power delivery), surprised you get much vapor at all. For a dripper you want around 24g to hit around 0.35 ohms, later, after you have good batteries and understand ohms law, if you want to get into 0.2 builds 22g.

Also a mech mod needs maintenance. Polish (whatever metal polish you can find, some is better than none) the sides of the button that make contact with the tube to transfer power, also top & bottom of the floating connection (any metal to metal connection in any button is transferring power, polish it). Once they get build up from leaked juice or oxidized they have higher resistance and build heat in the button... that and the whole point of a hybrid top cap is the absolute least resistance you can get so don't add it in your button :D

Last edited:

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here you go, you must vent the 4nine, throw the cutting disk on your dremel and cut a slot from the hole to the side so it can vent if need be.

downloadfile-2.jpeg

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep No way would I use those batteries, hopefully you'll get the right ones for your mod.

Jan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
owh man... im off with a bad start aint I? thanks fq06. posting that pic helps me lot. gonna find some new battery and a kanthal. and vent the mod

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's nice equipment (ex batteries) so you're off to a good start... just need to get some visual pointers from a local shop and keep the advice of others in this thread in mind. Tons of info that you will need here at VU, read up and become knowledgeable so you are not only safe but really able to tailor your own vape experience to make it the best it can be for you.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You might want to bag the FourNine for now and get a copper Fuhatten, or Copper Penny Mod while you gain knowledge in rebuilding.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Honestly dude, I would suggest anything with 510 topcap and venting instead of the hybrid.
I know what I'm doing and I only use certain toppers with my 4nine or any of my hybrids.
There are some good stingrays clones out that hit just as hard as the 4nine. those come with a hybrid and self adjusting 510.m

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
also i know its off topic but ...advice its spelled advice.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hahahahaahhahaha!!!!!!!!

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
dont forget all the capitalization i dont do.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Kate Upton on a horse makes me happy

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I added that :D
And you forgot your apostrophe in don't lol.

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i skipped that out of principle. gotta be consistent after all

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ha Ha!

Thankfully OP is on their way with good info because this thread just derailed lol :D

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hello everyone...

For starters, I just start vaping 1 month ago. The thing that I bought for my first vape is this;

1. 4nine mod
2. Trident RDA
3. 18650 battery x 4
4. trustfire charger x 1
5. Cotton wick
6. 30 Awg kanthal wire
7. ohm reader

I already try the small ecig thingy, but it doesn't work out for me. that's when I want to upgrade my vaping experience by getting all of the stuff above. I want to ask for all of your opinions, am I in the right track?
Did a shop set you up with this, or did you pick this stuff up online?

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Ha Ha!

Thankfully OP is on their way with good info because this thread just derailed lol :D
Its probably a good thing.
Just hope he listens to at leas one piece of the advise, otherwise he'll be learning to piss without aiming and eating with his toes.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Too bad we can't report B&Ms from selling shit like that and not knowing what they are doing.

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Its probably a good thing.
Just hope he listens to at leas one piece of the advise, otherwise he'll be learning to piss without aiming and eating with his toes.
pretty sure most men overestimate their aim anyway.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
pretty sure most men overestimate their aim anyway.
Yeah but at least the fingers are there to make the attempt . And let's not forgot all the other useul things they can be employed for.
The sign of peace
Wiping our own ass
Zipping our fly and buttoning a shirt
And my personal favorite: unsnapping a woman's bra after a successful date.

If I lost that last one because of a crappy mod/battery/build I would be pissed!

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
15 years of practice and a bra is still a rubix cube to me

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
when i first met my wife she had this bra with a front clasp that was easy but now its like some sort of medieval torture device the catholic boob denier 9000

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I, I'm sorry to hear that. When I was married I was able to unclasp any of my exwifes bra's within a millisecond, no matter what the outfit. It became a fun game.
Just a two finger pinch and flip
-no, not the reason she went from wife to ex-wife

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
well a millisecond can leave a girls needs unfulfilled lol

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
What happened to the original subject?

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Ummmm..... reckon that was ma bad, I went there trying to illustrate the importance of phalanges.

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
well he either followed our advice or is in the er with a few less fingers

VU Sponsors