Become a Patron!

Need some help with a genesis.

So, I have a Prometheus atty, and I have been working off of it for a while. It's my first rebuildable, and I liked the idea of not having the cotton wick. It's been awesome, but I finally went to rebuild. My issue is that when I wrap it, and go to pulse, my coil instantly burns out near the positive. I've tried more wraps, fewer wraps, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any ideas?

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
are you using a weak battery to fire that/those coils on a mechanical?
are you using a variable voltage/ variable wattage device at around 12 watts to pulse fire your coil/coils?
are the positive and negative legs approx. the same length or is the positive leg longer?
not trying to sound patronizing... these are just a few things to look at initially...
spaced coils or continuous shorting micro coil, not that that matters...just curious...
also out of curiosity what resistance is your coil?

it is best to pulse with a mechanical mod and a weak battery...
when you do encounter that hot spot.. go to shorter pulses and walk that hot spot out'''
if using spaced coils ensure your coils are spaced evenly...

also try going to youtube and watching rip trippers beginner tutotial for genesis attys...he does a really good job walking you through the build...its from april of 2013 but its still a good one

Last edited:
Thought about some of that after got done cooking dinner. Also, not really patronizing, but I kinda deserve it for half-assing the question. Fresh battery on a mech, the positive post is a threaded post with a slot cut out, and the negative is a screw in the top of the tank. Using a 400tpi SS mesh wick, and its not a micro coil. I actually have no idea what resistance my coil is because I don't have a multimeter. I actually didn't know Rip had a tutorial on this. I'll go check that out first.

Attachments

• 20150302_220412[1].jpg
    20150302_220412[1].jpg
    751 KB · Views: 9

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
yeah, that full battery needs to go... try using one thats around 3.7 ish give or take...

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
uhhhh...messin' with my redneck side, are we...no tips whatsoever that are safe... can you vape another tank...got a crappy ce5 or something just lying around...or you could be very careful and do very very short, very quick pulses and hope it wont pop that coil...

Everything I have is 510, but I'll give the pulse thing a try. I can always wrap a new one if it pops, and I need the practice anyway.

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
yeah getting that hotspot out with a fresh battery can be brutal...
once you get it going, you can try strumming the coil lightly with a screw driver, dont know why, but, it helps...
dont let the wick get too hot or you could damage the tank... take some breaks , then get back to it...

sorry to leave you in a lurch, but i gotta go to work...

hopefully someone else can keep an eye on your progress...

dont give up... that atty is worth the patience...

also, just curious...wire gauge and # of wraps you have going...

Using 30 gauge Kanthal, 4/5 and I just got it. That was part of my problem. Realized from talking to my buddy that the old wire I had was 26. It hits beautifully now. Thanks for the tips, friend.

VU Sponsors