Become a Patron!

Need some info on different types of mods.

hemispheres

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey all. Just got hired at the local vape shop. All I know about is some of the vaping devices (ego, kanger, eleaf) however I need some info on different, popular mods for both vaping and dripping.

If you could fill me in or send me links to more detailed info about these devices it would be much appreciated.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
What kind of mods RBAs and RDAs are you talking about?

And I really don't mean to sound rude, but why isn't the owner or manager giving you hands on training on these devices?

When you are trying to teach a customer how to build coil and wick assemblies nothing can compare with actual hands on experience and lots of practice.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

And I really don't mean to sound rude, but why isn't the owner or manager giving you hands on training on these devices?

When you are trying to teach a customer how to build coil and wick assemblies nothing can compare with actual hands on experience and lots of practice.

lol I was wondering the same thing.. this seems to be a running trend with B&M's..

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well, here is a little info and a couple of links to help you out.

Types of atomizers:

Rebuildable Tank Atomizers:
Clearomizers (entry level, non replaceable atomizer head, plastic body)
Glassomizers (tanks, such as the Kanger protank and Aspire K1)

Rebuildable Atomizers:
Rebuildable Genesis type Atomizers (stainless mesh wicking draws juice from a tank below the coils, examples are Zen Atty and the RSST by Smok)
Rebuildable Drip Atomizers ( coil and wick are on the same "deck", no tank or reservoir for juice, examples are the TOBH, DOGE, Plume Veil.)
Rebuildable Hybrid Atomizers (These use self made coils and wicking, that use gravity of the juice in the tank to keep wick wet. Example, Kayfun, Russian 91, Orchid.)

Cartomizer Atomizers:
Cartomizers ( usually a narrow stainless tube, with a prebuilt atomizer head inside, holds a few ml of juice and is intended to be replaced after a short time, examples are Ego Mego dual coil cartomizer)
Punched Cartomizers ( a cartomizer with holes punched in the sides, to allow for the use in a tank resevoir. Examples are Tank Replacement, Dual punch dual coil cartomizers. Tank Examples are like the ones you find on Billet Box Mod)

Types of Mods:

Mechanical Mods (these mods have NO wiring, usually in tube form, but can be made in Box mods as well., examples range from Maraxus to Vanilla mod, these mods require a basic understanding of electricity and battery safety.)
Regulated Mods (these mods have wiring involved, they also allow for the desired settings of Volts and or Watts to be changed by the user. Examples of this mod is the Vamo, Hana, Groove II and more. These mods can be made in Box format and Tube format. They are a good choice for beginners and advanced users alike.)
Ego batteries (these are the batteries that you find in a starter kit, or lower entry level personal vape devices. example are, Ego Twist and Kanger Emow. Ego threads are different size than the 510 threads you find on mechanical mods, note that some regulated mods carry both threads)

Important Accesories:

Kick (which is a regulatory device that is used in Non Regulated mods, in order to offer protection from battery over discharge.)
Ohm Meter ( this device will test the resistance of the coils you build, this is a very important device for those new to building coils, it allows for a safer use of the mod and leads to better understanding of Ohms law and battery safety)

Batteries:

It is important to use the proper battery in both Mechanical and Regulated mods. Most most mods call for ONLY IMR batteries or PCB batteries.
IMR Battery refers to the chemistry of the inside of the battery. IMR is assumed to be a safer build.
PCB battery refers to batteries with built in "kick" devices. They keep the battery from over and under discharging.
Battery AMPS. It is VERY important to use a battery with high enough AMPS to run the Resistance/ohms of the Coils you use in the Atomizer.
Mah. Mah is the rating at witch determines the length of use for the battery, lower mah = shorter charge life, higher mah = longer battery life.
Examples of batteries used and trusted in the hobby include but are not limited to: Sony, Efest, AW, LG, Panasonic, Vamped, Subohmcell.
Battery sizes most commonly used in the hobby include but are not limited to : 18350, 18500, 18650 and 26650.
What do the battery numbers mean? For example, 18650 means, 18 mm across, 65 mm long and the 0 means Round.
So, an 18650 2500 mah 35a battery means, 18mm across, 65 mm long round battery, with 2500 milli-amps per hour charge capability and 35 amps max draw on the battery. Note, higher mah does not always mean better performance for mechanical mods. the more Mah that is packed into a battery, the harder it is for the juice to flow out. You will get a harder punch from a 1600 mah 35a battery, than you would a 2500 mah 35a battery.

Chargers:

Never skimp on your charger...never. Use a good charger that shows your charging progress and has automatic shutoff when done charging.
Good examples of chargers, Efest, LUC. Nitecore D4 or Intellicharger I4. XSTAR chargers.

Wires used for coils:

Kanthal A1 Wire (the most popular choice today)
Kanthal A1 Ribbon Wire (flat wire, used for specialty made coils.)
Nichrome (the original wire used on all coils)
Ni200 (nickle wire, used for the new Evolve Regulated Mods, ONLY FOR THIS TYPE OF MOD)
Non Resistance wire (used for "legs" on certain atomizers. (This wire I am very unfamiliar with , sorry)

Types of Wicking used:

Organic Cotton (Japanese, Egyptian and US brands have emerged as the most popular) some cotton should be boiled first.
Rayon ( cellucotton rayon is used by alot of folks here, we get ours from Sally's beauty supply, Original type only)
Hemp
Ceramic (like Ready Wick)
Ekowool
Silica
SS wire mesh (used in Genesis type atomizers)

Tools for the Trade:

6 piece precision screw driver set
ceramic tipped tweezers
wire clippers, angled and small.
small table top/kitchen torch for heating your Kanthal Wire (to remove machining oil and help with pliability)
Small tool box/tackle box to hold all of your tools and wires.

Websites to use:

Atomizer recognition
http://ecigarettereviewed.com/an-introduction-to-advanced-rebuildable-atomizers/
coil recognition
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp
battery recognition
http://batteryuniversity.com/
Overall knowledge base
http://vapingunderground.com

I hope this helps a little, there is a lot to learn, we are all still learning everyday. Keep it Foggy and grats on the new Job!

hemispheres

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Not much hands on training, Pretty much learn as you go. Mainly have to remember prices, the business owner has people pop in every once in a while, they ask questions about the different merchandise and rate us on our product knowledge. I've been poking around on Youtube as far as coils go. Seems simple enough and I may even get into dripping just to become proficient in building coils. Macro, Micro, Nano, etc. All We build at our store is nano coils, but I saw a nice coil config. by rip trippers using 2 coils of 24 ga wire I want to build. He was taking 1 second pulls and getting massive vapor out of it.

We carry FU Hatten, Stingray V1 & V2 clones, and a few other brands. As per my request we brought in the Eleaf Istick, we also just got the itaste MVP shipped in. I'm disappointed in our selection of RDA' Mods. They're all 3 prong (2 negative and one central positive).

I'm aware of the different power supplies. 26650 for larger mech mods, 18350 single and dual for some of the smaller mech/box mods. We also carry high drain in 18350. Tanks are pretty simple. We carry the Protank Mini and mega which are pretty much the same, just different capacities. We carry the Atlantis sub-ohm setup, and nautilus tanks. Kanger, Ego, Aspire, etc is all in our product lineup.

What are some other things to keep in mind when building your own or selling different setups?

hemispheres

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sorry for the shitty paragraph structure, been working here from 5pm to 10pm after working 7 hours at my other job. All jacked up on swarm and happy caps at the moment. :D

hemispheres

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok... Glad I'm not being told to build any mods yet. The store I'm at obviously is low key.. they didn't even give us a run down on battery safety. I was talking to someone tonight and they're telling me incorrect resistance coil with the wrong battery = big boom.

Looks like I have a lot of youtube vids to watch.

hemispheres

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well not too bad for my first build. Been slow lately so I've been building coils at work with downtime. Decided to pop one in a darkhorse rda and used a customers sigelei 100 watt and just fell in love with dripping. I build 2 coils with 24 gauge wire, 8 wraps a piece which came out to .35 ohms... Put some japanese cotton in it and got her all soaked with cereal killa and had the whole shop filled with smoke.

I'm actually going to purchase that darkhorse mod and pick up the Eleaf Istick 50watt when it hits the market. I heard you can actually go sub-ohm with those.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
See my answer is long but simple you know when I RDA with max vg I cloud up my room worse than I ever did smoking cig's so my suggestion
is get a 200watt fog machine fill it with a quart of juice and just breath in your house.. It really does make the most sense

VU Sponsors