Become a Patron!

Need tips for using 40g for an alien wrap.

Th3T

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey everyone hope you all are having a good day. I'm posting because I just got my first spool of 40g N80 and am trying to use it as an alien wrap on a framed staple alien where so far I've only been using 36g. I just tried it the same way I would do with 36g and boy is it different which I was expecting but I've read elsewhere it is easier. I quickly realized I needed to use less tension but damn this stuff stretches at the slightest pull and I find if I don't pull enough I ended up with Mohawk alien/errors in my line. Anyone got any tips for a learning coil building enthusiast? I tried with 28gKA1 frames 6ply .4KA1, and the 40g N80 (Did the initial Clapton on 26g). Really want to get this down so any help is appreciated. Dying to try higher gauge wraps to see how the flavor/ramp up is compared to 36g. Thanks in advance - T

*-Tried again tonight same specs. Got enough for one 3mm 5wrap. I can say once I started holding my hand guiding the wrap wire further back like a foot and a few inches it went more smoothly. good tip for anyone else trying heh.

Last edited:

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
in my experience its just a matter of practice. it sounds dumb, but a lot of this stuff is best done by 'feel', which you can only learn from feeling it happen (by doing it with your own hands). 40g alien is hard, but its exactly the same procedure as 36 or whatever, you just have to be a bit more soft with everything. i find that the most important part of making any alien wrap, is your initial clapton/decore. if any single thing happens during that clapton thats not absolutely perfect, it will show up as a mistake in your alien wraps.

if you just got your first working coil, that proves you can do it. the second coil will probably come a lot easier. aside from holding your hand further back to give you more precision when adjusting your angle (which you already figured out), another thing to try on really hard builds is to just make one coil at a time. i always had the mentality that if i could make a longer piece of wire (like 18+inches) i had a better chance of getting a perfect pair of coils out from in between all my mistakes, or if i didnt make mistakes, maybe i would be able to get two or three pairs of coils made at once. while those things are both true, making an 18 inch piece of alien framed staple is a bit harder than making three six inch pieces (for me anyway, i guess that all depends on your swivels and stuff too. mine are junk).

good luck, dont forget to post your builds :cheers:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
For 40g and up I like to understretch like I would for a mohawk and use the same amount of tension, when going higher then 44g I use much less tension and understretch....
If using more then 6ply, try using 26g for your decore....it allows it to stretch further without compromising the alien wave.

There isnt much more to do other then practice...its the only real trick that gets you there..

Th3T

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the tips guys really appreciated. Finally got my 2nd coil and the vape is great. That 40g can drive you nuts but feels great when you finally get it. I tried overstretching and understretching and yes the understretching seemed to give me better results due to how easily the declaptoned core stretches when wrapping. Yes I was using 26g for the decore had read that somewhere else but was unsure if I was supposed to be doing that thanks for confirming. I learned a lot by feel but man I wasted a lot going for 2 coils but the vape.. worth it.

VU Sponsors