Become a Patron!

Needed information on sub-ohming/voltage drop

Whats going on all,
Im a new member to the forum so i hope this is in the right section and everything but im a bit misguided about the safties of how far i can push my battery.i have a basic understanding of ohms law but in regaurds to pulse rating and how many amps my battery can handle i am not sure of.
Right now ive got a .21 Ohm build in my authentic panzer and im useing one of the purple imrens 2500mahs, now im pretty sure witht the build i have going now everything is safe, but i was looking run duel coils, and im worried that my ohms will go to low,keep in mind i can rebuild both if need be.

So my real questions are :
Can my battery actually handle 40 amps?
Do i need to be worried about pulse rating or should i not go a certain amperage at all?
When i measure my voltage drop on my mod when i measure Ohms law do i enter 4.2 or do i enter the amount after the voltage drop, you would assume still 4.2 because its pulling the same amount on the battery regaurdless right?
I see many people building at .10 ohms and not hurting them selves, at they putting them selves at risk, and whats the theoretical lowest possible ohmage i could use, im not trying to build it as low at i can get it but i think anything lower then .12 i would stay away from, and i do not plan to go close to there untill ive done my research.
sorry if these questions get answered often, any links to places where i could read this information would be appriciated as well thanks for your time.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
With a .20 ohm coil you draw 21 amps in a mech mod...i tend to choose the continuous amps rating of a cell to judge rather or not its safe than a burst rating for 1 second.

For your .21 coil i wouldnt be using anything but a Sony VTC4 battery...just sayin.

With a .20 ohm coil you draw 21 amps in a mech mod...i tend to choose the continuous amps rating of a cell to judge rather or not its safe than a burst rating for 1 second.

For your .21 coil i wouldnt be using anything but a Sony VTC4 battery...just sayin.
So you can confirm voltage drop has nothing to do with the stress being put on the battery and when calculated it should always be 4.2?
would a VTC5 work? are they not rated at 30 continuous amps

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Voltage drop is a load placed on the battery from the coil build.

If your asking when you have a voltage drop from 4.2v to 3.7 volts ,should you consider that voltage in the formula to determine amp draw?

I personally dont..The coil build changes any voltage drop one might have.

Experiment yourself on this...build a 1.0 ohm coil and check the voltage at the coil..Then build a .5 ohm coil and do the same...you will see a big difference in voltage drop as you would from a .5 ohm to a .2 ohm coil being even more significant.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
So you can confirm voltage drop has nothing to do with the stress being put on the battery and when calculated it should always be 4.2?
would a VTC5 work? are they not rated at 30 continuous amps
Yes, VTC5 works as well. However, make sure to purchase either (VTC4 & VCT5) from a reputable dealer. There are lots of imitations out there.

In addition, your mech mod may also cause a voltage drop. Some more or less than the others, due to internal resistance.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yes, VTC5 works as well. However, make sure to purchase either (VTC4 & VCT5) from a reputable dealer. There are lots of imitations out there.

In addition, your mech mod may also cause a voltage drop. Some more or less than the others, due to internal resistance.
I guess i have the best mods ever made..none of my mods have resistance at the 510 what so ever.

All the same voltage from the battery as at the 510
Aluminum manhattan
Copper manhattan
2 smpl's
1 copper nemesis
1 hammond G box with mosfet

What mods have resistance at the 510?...ill be sure to avoid those.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I guess i have the best mods ever made..none of my mods have resistance at the 510 what so ever.

All the same voltage from the battery as at the 510
Aluminum manhattan
Copper manhattan
2 smpl's
1 copper nemesis
1 hammond G box with mosfet

What mods have resistance at the 510?...ill be sure to avoid those.
I'm sure, my Brass Monkee 26650 mod is a candidate. I can tell the difference by how long it takes to heat up the coil and vapor production, compared to my Stingray X 26650, utilizing brand new batteries and the same Castor RDA.

VU Sponsors