Become a Patron!

Needing help with Pharaoh RTA

ApolloKen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok guys I've never ever had an rda/rta I could not wick...til now. I've tried Rips method in every way possible, tightly packed, loosely packed, and everywhere in between. I've tried wicking it as I would every other rta with wick tails filling up the juice slot. No matter how I do it, I can't get it to wick efficiently and it's aggravating the piss outta me. I've tried every way I can think of, I've used a lot of cotton, not very much cotton, Scottish roll, just folded and pulled through, combed it out, and not combed out. Hoping someone can help.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What do you mean wick it efficiently? I'm using rayon but mainly depending on your coil size the wicking channels need to be totally filled & the wick hole covered but not stuffed. If your coils are smaller I.d. you'll need more wick. So what is your coil i.d.?

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had trouble as well. I'm using Japanese cotton. I remove the outer layers and the wick ends are cut and placed loosely in the wick chamber. I do not fold or over lap. I made sure everything stays nice and fluffy. I then juiced the wick and continued to position the wick so that when the atty is screwed in the wicks do not move. I also took a small flat head screwdriver and slightly raised the bottom of the wicks up just so they don't touch. This allows the juice to flow under the wicks then up to the coils...Loose and fluffy. Hope this helps.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I saw Rips video and the way he wicked it sent up red flags for me. Using that much wicking tells me he had leaking problems with not enough.

After that video I decided not to order it until it has been out long enough. I figured wicking would be an issue with this tank and if the flavor is not all that then why bother.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
When I saw Rips video and the way he wicked it sent up red flags for me. Using that much wicking tells me he had leaking problems with not enough.

After that video I decided not to order it until it has been out long enough. I figured wicking would be an issue with this tank and if the flavor is not all that then why bother.

Haha. I thought the same thing. Maybe because i don't trust rip, but I thought his wick method was 'too weird.'
It was either going to be a revolutionary way to build tanks, or expose a flaw with the Pharaoh rta. If I had 1 I would wick it the traditional way to see what happens.

Sent from somewhere in Vietnam.

ApolloKen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
3mm. Wicking channels fully covered, lightly placed and a number of other ways. Just rewicked again trying it a lil differently so I'll see how it goes. By efficiently I mean keeping up and not having to pause 15-30 seconds in between vapes. Not sure if it's 100% but so far this time around is wicking the best. Did not fluff cotton and used square cotton pads about 9mm wide, folded and pulled through without pulling back and forth, lightly placed it in the wicking channels and cut tail even with deck. Same as Rip but without fluffing and without pulling back and forth. Also barely made it cover the wicking ports and so far so good. Previously it was just taking too long to wick.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
3mm. Wicking channels fully covered, lightly placed and a number of other ways. Just rewicked again trying it a lil differently so I'll see how it goes. By efficiently I mean keeping up and not having to pause 15-30 seconds in between vapes. Not sure if it's 100% but so far this time around is wicking the best. Did not fluff cotton and used square cotton pads about 9mm wide, folded and pulled through without pulling back and forth, lightly placed it in the wicking channels and cut tail even with deck. Same as Rip but without fluffing and without pulling back and forth. Also barely made it cover the wicking ports and so far so good. Previously it was just taking too long to wick.
As long as it's working now, that's great!

ApolloKen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I had trouble as well. I'm using Japanese cotton. I remove the outer layers and the wick ends are cut and placed loosely in the wick chamber. I do not fold or over lap. I made sure everything stays nice and fluffy. I then juiced the wick and continued to position the wick so that when the atty is screwed in the wicks do not move. I also took a small flat head screwdriver and slightly raised the bottom of the wicks up just so they don't touch. This allows the juice to flow under the wicks then up to the coils...Loose and fluffy. Hope this helps.

Thanks alot Kevin! I still haven't gotten it to wick very well. I'm gunna try your way and see how it goes. I tried it the way u described but left the wick all the way down, afraid it'd leak if I didnt. How is it working for you?

ApolloKen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Yea I'm wishing I would have waited. I'm not impressed by the Pharaoh RTA at all. I normally don't jump the gun and buy things before it's proved itself. However I think I'm going to purchase the Kylin by Vandy Vape. When I saw it, it was exactly how I've been saying I would like to see one. Normally I'm not a big rta fan cuz I seldom get the density of flavor that I like. The troll rta has been my favorite rta as far as flavor goes. I enjoy the original Pharaoh, but this one is less than impressive.

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks alot Kevin! I still haven't gotten it to wick very well. I'm gunna try your way and see how it goes. I tried it the way u described but left the wick all the way down, afraid it'd leak if I didnt. How is it working for you?
I forgot to mention I have a 4 mm diameter coil. The tank is working fine but I think I like my Aromamizer Supreme better. The Pharaoh works well enough for me to keep using it but the Aromamizer IMO has better air flow and flavor and wicking it is alot less finicky.

Steampugs

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
If it wasn't for the fact that I haven't actually reviewed this tank yet I would of thrown it out of the window yesterday, I have wasted 60ml of juice trying to get this thing wicked properly, 5 times I tried yesterday.....and it just kept dumping, apart from once when it was dry hitting, so far this has been the worst thing to wick that I have ever know it's an absolute PITA, I'll give it another go this afternoon....it's a shame because when it was working and not pissing out everywhere the flavour was actually pretty good, and I really like the look of it.

ApolloKen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If it wasn't for the fact that I haven't actually reviewed this tank yet I would of thrown it out of the window yesterday, I have wasted 60ml of juice trying to get this thing wicked properly, 5 times I tried yesterday.....and it just kept dumping, apart from once when it was dry hitting, so far this has been the worst thing to wick that I have ever know it's an absolute PITA, I'll give it another go this afternoon....it's a shame because when it was working and not pissing out everywhere the flavour was actually pretty good, and I really like the look of it.
I hate your having issues with it but glad I'm not the only one that's having trouble with it. I've got it working alot better by wicking normally with the wick tails sittin bout half down the wicking channels instead of fully filling the channels up. This has been the best by far

Steampugs

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I hate your having issues with it but glad I'm not the only one that's having trouble with it. I've got it working alot better by wicking normally with the wick tails sittin bout half down the wicking channels instead of fully filling the channels up. This has been the best by far
Today was the 7th time I have wicked it, I folded again for the 2nd time and it worked better, but I just read your post and picked it up, tipped it and it poured out of the bottom vents again, and this time I stuffed the channels...by rights it should of dry hit, but no, it's dumped again, not as bad, but I know that if I leave this sat there over night it'll be in a puddle by morning, I tried the short wick method like you mentioned the first time and it was ok, but then I changed the coil and I haven't been able to get it right since it unbelievable, last chance tomorrow I'll try a short wick again but it if does it again I aint gonna be pulling my punches in the review lol

ApolloKen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yea I had to cut back on my cotton. There's enough to fill the juice slots but not where I had to force any or pack it. Just gently placed the wicking tails in. Ambitionz Vapor has a video on it the way I do it. So far it's still working, which is the first time out of 7 wicking attempts myself. Ridiculousness!

DX9

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's messed up. I've rewicked a few times and not a single drop. Flav has been great. I did notice Rip Trippers way kinda mutes the flav a bit so I just wicked again and just a reg fluff and thin out the leads of the cotton a bit and just put in the juice channel and done. Been great

ApolloKen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yea I have it wicked the same way and it's working as it should. Nothing spectacular but it works. My original pharaoh stomps the shit out of the pharaoh rta and sherman and troll rta are all better. Super disappointed so far cuz I think it could have been badass. Maybe one of the alternate decks is the solution but I love the pharaoh deck for building

Steampugs

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yea I had to cut back on my cotton. There's enough to fill the juice slots but not where I had to force any or pack it. Just gently placed the wicking tails in. Ambitionz Vapor has a video on it the way I do it. So far it's still working, which is the first time out of 7 wicking attempts myself. Ridiculousness!
Thanks for the tip on the vid man, I've just checked it out and followed suit, I'll keep you posted ;)

Steampugs

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
No problem brother, hope it helps!
man...you aint gonna believe this....I wicked it just the same as the vid, to be fair I had actually already tried that way but I figured I'g give it anoher go.....15 mins later it dumped again....so I just thought...right...last chance, total strip down and change all the O's.....I had a wide vape band on it, took it off to start taring it down and as soon as I did I saw a pinched O ring around the top of the tank, the seal was broken lol....
Ultimate fucking face palm lmao
working great now....I could literally slap myself.

Cheers for your help buddy ;)

ApolloKen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
man...you aint gonna believe this....I wicked it just the same as the vid, to be fair I had actually already tried that way but I figured I'g give it anoher go.....15 mins later it dumped again....so I just thought...right...last chance, total strip down and change all the O's.....I had a wide vape band on it, took it off to start taring it down and as soon as I did I saw a pinched O ring around the top of the tank, the seal was broken lol....
Ultimate fucking face palm lmao
working great now....I could literally slap myself.

Cheers for your help buddy ;)

Lmmfao!! I have those moments far more than I'd like to admit... Congrats on the feat brother!

I have no idea why this worked, but pinching my coils close together instead of leaving them spaced did the trick. I was getting burnt hits with every spaced coil I put in no matter how much cotton I used. I use spaced coils in all my other tanks, but apparently this one doesn't like them.

Cracked it!
Okay. So everyone wicks differently and the tank is a bad wick under any circumstance! But this beast is thirsty and however you wick, it won't keep up unless.....
you vape it with the top unscrewed a few turns (you'll get the hang of it) to let the juice flow. You can vape all you want by unscrewing the top to your preferred consumption.
Be warned though that screw it back up before you take the last 1 or 2 puffs to re-create the vacuum to stop it leaking out the bottom airflow.
Job done!
Give it a whirl and you'll have a much better time with this baby!

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Using my Pharaoh Mini right now. I have a id 3mm 20g 4 wrap (.5 ohm) Kanthal coil on it and when wicking take the end of the Japanese cotton and fold it back about the width of a tweezers head, mash it flat and push it down to the bottom of the juice channel, then take some fine tweezers and fish the cotton out of the bottom of the juice channel and make it flush so the whole thing still rotates freely.

Its tighter at the bottom this way and prevents leaking around the wick but still allows the wick to draw. I carry this around in my pocket a fair amount and it will generally only leak whats in the cotton if left upside down.

VU Sponsors