Become a Patron!

Nervous About my batteries

Recently bought a steampunkj 120 nano off of a friend. Did not come with batteries.
I was curious if i got fucked over or not and wanted to see if it turned on. Surely it didnt without batteries obviously. Now the thing is i put my 2 53165 batteries in. I tried hitting the on switch a couple times. Nothing tried firing it a couple times still nothing. i texted him ab it and he said i probably short circuited it. Therefore buying 2 18650 batteries would be pointless. Could i still try to buy them? Would the mod still turn on if i used those 53165 batteries and i just got ripped off? Please help me idk if i should buy new batteries at my vape store tomorrow

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are they 4.2 volt lithium batteries?
Or standard 1.2 volt cells?

Never heard of those batteries.

Last edited:

vaporscout

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
that would probably be why your are having issues and possibly shorted out the mod due to over powered batteries. No use in getting any other batteries for it I'm afraid you fried it.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I can't find any search results for individual 53165 cells except for a battery pack for a laptop.

I was curious if i got fucked over

So to answer your question I do not think you got fucked over I think you actually fucked yourself. Don't bad mouth the person who sold it to you since you probably fried it. Is it worth $10 to get 2 of the CORRECT Cells for it to test it? Up to you but I would recommend you learn about battery safety before you do any more attempts at vaping.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
If the guy you bought your crap from that included shorted out batteries why would you not think he sold you a crap mod?

The moral of this story is not too cheap out on vape gear.

Or anything meaningful in life.

You get what you pay for.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
If there was a thing about the Ten Commandments of vaping.......

I Thou shalt not use old laptop batteries.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I tried hitting the on switch a couple times. Nothing tried firing it a couple times still nothing. i texted him ab it and he said i probably short circuited it.

Why would a mod NOT turning on and NOT firing be clear signs of a short circuit?

The exact same thing would happen if you stuck two dead batteries in the mod.

Your laptop battery pack is either 6 or 9 cell and if they fit they were 18650 cells.
The battery pack was probably dead.

Also even if you stuck the batteries in wrong, backwards, whatever the same thing would happen in a regulated device. it wouldn't power on and it wouldn't fire.

It would be different if the mod stated smoking or smelled like burnt electronics.

I say kick out the money for good high drain 18650 cells and enjoy your new mod.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If the guy you bought your crap from that included shorted out batteries why would you not think he sold you a crap mod?

The moral of this story is not too cheap out on vape gear.

Or anything meaningful in life.

You get what you pay for.
If I read his post right, he only got the mod from his friend , then turned around and used HIS lap top batteries to see if it would turn on and sounds like those batteries and probably fried his mod, jeeeeezzzzzz, RTP

Last edited:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I still don't understand how anyone/everyone would instantly jump to "you fried it" because he put (probably dead) batteries in a mod and it never turned on.

If I threw away a mod every time I put a dead cell in it and it didn't turn on I would have thrown away 2 dozen perfectly fine mods already.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
sigh............ok added the word PROBABLY,
ubtlukB.gif

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
sigh............ok added the word PROBABLY,
ubtlukB.gif

You showed up late to the game noticing that some either didn't read properly or understand the OP which is kind of a cryptic post.

I was referring to the half dozen vapers that posted what may very well be the wrong information before either of us arrived at this post.

I would never call a mod fried unless I put a set of fully charged batteries (ones made for a mod not a computer) in and it didn't turn on.

His best bet is to go to a vape shop and ask then have the person behind the counter pop a set in a see what happens.
They will of course try to sell him a $30 pack of 4 batteries along with a $35 charger though.
The trick is walking out of the vape shop once you know if the mod works or not.

The $18.88 18650 Dual Charger & 2 x Samsung INR18650 25R 2500mAh High Drain 20A Flat Top eBay link I posted above will get him the same thing as inexpensively as possible.

VU Sponsors