Become a Patron!

New 18650 lighter than old 18650?

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey guys. I got 3 brand new Samsung 25Rs from liionwholesale in the mail today. I notice that these new batteries are a bit lighter than my older 25Rs that I've been using since August of last year. Do they tend to get a bit heavier with age or something?

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Where did you get your older 25R's? I know liion tests their stock for authenticity so I would not doubt your new ones are authentic. Samsung specs both the 25R (light blue) and the 25R5 (light green) weight as no more than 45 grams with a typical weight of 43.5 grams. I weighed an older 25R and a 25R5 and they weighed 43.65 and 43.74 grams respectively which is something I could not tell without weighing. What you noticed could be just differences in manufacturing runs.

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Where did you get your older 25R's? I know liion tests their stock for authenticity so I would not doubt your new ones are authentic. Samsung specs both the 25R (light blue) and the 25R5 (light green) weight as no more than 45 grams with a typical weight of 43.5 grams. I weighed an older 25R and a 25R5 and they weighed 43.65 and 43.74 grams respectively which is something I could not tell without weighing. What you noticed could be just differences in manufacturing runs.
Oh my older ones were the green ones, sorry for the confusion. I got them from liionwholesale as well. The older ones seemed a bit heavier in my hand than the new ones, but I charged up the new ones and they're lasting longer, holding a charge better! I think my older ones might have had something wrong with them, the issue was probably my older pair lol

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Oh my older ones were the green ones, sorry for the confusion. I got them from liionwholesale as well. The older ones seemed a bit heavier in my hand than the new ones, but I charged up the new ones and they're lasting longer, holding a charge better! I think my older ones might have had something wrong with them, the issue was probably my older pair lol
Batteries will lose capacity as they age. Every time you charge/discharge them some of the chemistry is being used up.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Electrons have weight.
Were all the batteries fully charged when you compared weights?

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Electrons have weight.
Were all the batteries fully charged when you compared weights?
They were not. My older pair was about 3.9v or so, and my new pair was brand new, not even charged yet. 3.5v. so that probably explains the weight difference. Thanks! I honestly forgot how long new batteries last! I got used to my old ones.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are they by any chance the 25R6M, or the 25R6? It seems the 25R6 started production at the same time as the 25R5, and Mooch thinks so too.

I didn't even realise about the 25R6 until the other day, when I found some in my collection- before this, I never even knew they existed. The "M" is made in Malaysia, maybe these could weigh a bit less than the 25R5?

I haven't seen any mention of weight though when Mooch tested them, I will find my scales later and see if there is a noticeable difference between the 25R5 and 25R6.

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are they by any chance the 25R6M, or the 25R6? It seems the 25R6 started production at the same time as the 25R5, and Mooch thinks so too.

I didn't even realise about the 25R6 until the other day, when I found some in my collection- before this, I never even knew they existed. The "M" is made in Malaysia, maybe these could weigh a bit less than the 25R5?

I haven't seen any mention of weight though when Mooch tested them, I will find my scales later and see if there is a noticeable difference between the 25R5 and 25R6.

How would I know if they are 25R6? The print on my batteries look like this, with the 5 at the bottom left, would that be a 6?

https://vapenw.com/media/catalog/pr...b8a1c0f4afe3/s/a/samsung_25r_18650_new_-3.jpg

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How would I know if they are 25R6? The print on my batteries look like this, with the 5 at the bottom left, would that be a 6?

https://vapenw.com/media/catalog/pr...b8a1c0f4afe3/s/a/samsung_25r_18650_new_-3.jpg
The 25R6 has a 6 there instead of a 5- I wasn't aware of them myself until a little while ago, and when I checked I had some myself.

Those are 25R5's, if it is worrying you it would be best to weigh them with scales vs in your hand to see if there is a difference. If you can feel it in your hand I would imagine it to be quite a bit of difference in weight.

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The 25R6 has a 6 there instead of a 5- I wasn't aware of them myself until a little while ago, and when I checked I had some myself.

Those are 25R5's, if it is worrying you it would be best to weigh them with scales vs in your hand to see if there is a difference. If you can feel it in your hand I would imagine it to be quite a bit of difference in weight.

Yeah I'm not sure really. I don't have a scale, but have put them through 2 or 3 half charge cycles (about 3.6v - 3.7v) and they seem to be holding up just fine, not getting hot when under load and such, so i'm thinking they should be okay, just thought it was weird! Thanks for helping me out! ;)

VU Sponsors