Become a Patron!

NEW 24mm RDA From Dotmod - Thoughts?

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Looks great but how well does it work? No bf pin for squonking? Seems rda's are made with dual purpose more & more.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I'm thinking it might be similar to the CSMNT squonk kit - where the bottom section is replaced by a piece with juice ports and a bf pin.

stmtpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With only a single screw to clamp everything down, will it really be able to keep good connection on all four leads?

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Looks to me like it would be finicky as hell to keep all 4 leads of a dual coil setup in place while you get it snugged down. Way to much trouble for me to worry with even if it was a reasonable price. I'm sure being dotmod it'll be 70-80 dollars or more.

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Those were my initial thoughts also, but that's also what I said about the Goon when it first came out...

I haven't tried the goon for that reason, because I'm afraid it would be too difficult for me to mount 2 coils in it with one hand.

Element Vape

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
There have been a lot of great single coil RDA in the market lately. I feel that this is the right move for Dotmod

aeon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'd like to see it in person, but I am not going to drop coin on it. I've got a Petri already and my sights are set elsewhere.

I modified a plastic fork to hold dual coils in place when tightening down. Kept me sane.

Cheers,
Ian

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Chef, just noticed you have them on your site (preorder), haven't bought a new atty since the last couple I bought from you.

When do you expect them to arrive?

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Supposedly in about 2 weeks, but Dotmod has ALWAYS been late on new stuff. That's why there's no date on the pre-orders.

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'd like to see it in person, but I am not going to drop coin on it. I've got a Petri already and my sights are set elsewhere.

I modified a plastic fork to hold dual coils in place when tightening down. Kept me sane.

Cheers,
Ian

I love that! Anyway you could post a picture or two? :)

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
So I'm FINALLY able to try one out. Quite the opposite of what I was thinking, this thing is incredibly easy to build on. Both the upper and lower portion (neg/pos) of the post are spring loaded. It opens right up and you can slide your coils right in there. It can be hand tightened almost completely, with just a little extra 1/4 turn at the end with the included "dot-tool" for additional clamping pressure. The flavor is on par with any RDA in this price range or higher. Priced at $65, it's actually a better RDA than its $90 cousin. One good side effect of the large single center post is that it virtually eliminates spitback. Airflow is similar to the CSMNT, and also controlled the same.

Here's a pic I took with my camera phone. Yup! Not too bad, but I really gotta learn how to use the Nikon D3300 that I got a while back.

Untitled1.jpg

Last edited:

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
One thing I was worried about was the peek insulator melting, so the build in the above pic is a 0.12Ω framed staple coil. Wanted something that would put off a fair amount of heat, but without getting ridiculous. Dotmod does suggest builds of 0.10Ω or higher for this RDA. Been hitting it pretty hard with zero adverse effects to the insulator. :D

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cool beans, I pre-ordered one from you and got my notification that it's on it's way. I'm looking forward to it for it looks simple for a sleeper build, I like sleeper coils ;)

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I haven't tried the bf pins, as I'm really not much of a squonker.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Cool beans, I pre-ordered one from you and got my notification that it's on it's way. I'm looking forward to it for it looks simple for a sleeper build, I like sleeper coils ;)
Cool - thanks! They came in late this afternoon, so I printed all the pre-order shipping labels tonight so I can pack them tomorrow and ship them first thing Monday morning.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just ordered one, Chef...and a few other items......:wave:

Thanks again my friend...!

So, it's being touted by Dotmod as "The First Single Post RDA".
What are your thoughts?

View attachment 87769
Just got mine..... flavor is nice, just as good as most rda's in that price range. Protruding 510 pin, and comes with sqounking pin and sqounking screw, the juice will come from the top of the single screw and drop onto the coils while running down the four channels in the top screw. Great concept coming from the top instead of the bottom in my opinion. In order to position your coils in front of the cyclops airflow, you must build them a little lower than usual, although I've found building right in front of the airflow holes or a little higher up produces very similar flavor due to the single post blocking any airflow underneath your coils. The post takes up a good amount of room on the deck, fused claptons and aliens will fit fine, you will not be able to get your huge goon 1.5 builds in here in my opinion although I haven't tried yet. Proprietary ultem driptip, 510's and 810's or goon styled will not fit. No adaptor included. My biggest complaint is that the 0-ring tolerance on the deck/barrel suck. It's too loose and if picked up by the top cap, your mod will definitely fall to the floor. The deck is gorgeous however, four times gold plated and it looks amazing. This is a great dripper besides the o-rings and a great sqounker although it has a small juice well compared to the dead rabbit due to how low the airflow is situated. But if you don't oversqounk it won't be an issue. It also has a single coil option airflow. Super easy to build on, took me less than 60 seconds to install my coils, had to reposition the coils once or twice but was super easy and they fit very firm and snug in the posts. If anyone needs pics let me know.

MaxPerilous

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
So to be clear. While squonking it will not return excess juice to bottle. In other words, what you squonk in, stays in because the juice comes out from the very top of the center post assembly??

If you wouldn't mind I'd love some good pics of it in squonk mode.

MaxPerilous

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I watched @Jai Haze review. Didn't go well. lol

Snapped the damn squonk pin. So I couldn't even see it in squonking action. Only squonkable hardware has my interest so kind of killed it for me. I'll have to check out more reviews before I can make a decision on this one.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Yeah, I saw that. I don't know what his problem is - this thing is one of the easiest RDAs to install on that I've ever used.

Bardiel003

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I honestly hate him for the love of God.. It's like he wants to keep it. Old school like the good. Old days.. But then triggered on new innovation builds lol!

DimSumDom

Member For 4 Years
Wowwww. He did so much extra. I don't have the atty (yet) but couldn't he have stuck the coils in while they were on the right diameter bits or screwdrivers?

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Yup. It's so freakin' easy to build on. The guy's an idiot if he can't understand the simplicity of it.

STEP 1: Put coils in the slots
STEP 2: Tighten screw
STEP 3: Adjust coils (if needed)

That's it. Why complicate things?

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, I saw that. I don't know what his problem is - this thing is one of the easiest RDAs to install on that I've ever used.
If it was any good he would of said so, and bought to sell in his shop. Remember Jai is a shop owner who wants to make money too, but he is not going to buy stock in something that has issues.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I agree. So I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt, and watched it again just now.

It's like watching the 3 stooges trying to get something done. I can see his mistakes all over that installation. It's like he was trying to make it look hard to do. Why??? I have no idea. All I know is that I've used it, and Jai's experience is the polar opposite of what I've experienced. And honestly, before I actually had one in hand to build on, I thought it might be a PITA to build on. But it's not, and I cannot for the life of me figure out why he is having such problems.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Not sure what I think about it. I have 5 of the previous geb attys, so I'm sure I'll EVENTUALLY end up with one.... Because dotmod.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Well, I tell ya what - I have a Nikon D3300 that I've never used for video yet that I've been putting off learning to use. Might as well try it now. So I'm gonna install the exact same coils (2x28/38, 3.0mm, 7/8 wrap fused Claptons) that Jai was trying to install. Not sure how long it'll take to make it, upload to YouTube, etc., but I'mm gonna do it right now.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Okay, screw the Nikon D3300. I'll figure it out later. I'll just do it with my phone.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I wanna see it in squonk mode damnit! lol
It would look great on the toaster. My fear with it is that it would need alot of coil mass; hence, suck on a single battery mech/squonker.

BAM crew

MaxPerilous

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
It would look great on the toaster. My fear with it is that it would need alot of coil mass; hence, suck on a single battery mech/squonker.

BAM crew

That's why they invented drones. I used to think they were only good for spying on your neighbors. Now I know better ;)

VU Sponsors