Become a Patron!

thevapesofwrath

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I hope this is in the right section. If not feel free to move.

I'm still pretty new to vaping. I bought a predator 228 after a friend recommended it. Before it even came I read reviews of its various glitches and about a month the into having it, the friend who recommended it bought an alien instead because his started glitching out (from what I hear the alien is also a lemon).

I've had it about 2 months now and its been doing several things including the "atomizer low" thing, which I fix temporarily by flipping the batteries around (have no idea why this works). I've read about some fixes you can do but I don't own a soldering gun or anything like that, and at this point would rather just buy one I know is solid.

as a side note, to be fair, I vape constantly and keep this thing in my pocket at work. It has been dropped a couple of times and been covered in everything from sawdust to house paint, so I can't write this off as simply "the predator sucks". It served me well for the time and I really liked it, except for its obvious shortcomings.

So, my question is, if I were to go look for a new battery that 1.works similarly to the predator 2.uses the same tank size (the evo tank) and is relatively inexpensive (I'd like to spend less than $60 if possible), what are some good options? I don't need a tank, just the battery. and again, the ideal would be a battery that was just like the predator but a bit less prone to errors and glitches.

Thanks.

(P.s. it would be best if they were easy to find models that I could get online).

rufftimes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Geekvape Aegis is getting decent reviews as being a tough mod, single battery, water and shock proof

Another one I almost pulled the pin on is the Tesla Nano 120W. Very cool look built out of single piece of steel. Great reviews and looks like it can take a beating. Don't worry about the tank, pretty much all mods except proprietary ones will take any tank. What you need to know is that your mod can run the wattage you normally run

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I think you're confusing the battery with the mod, at least in your question. But I agree about the Aegis. I just got one and it's really nice. And it's the only one that's shockproof, waterproof and dustproof. It's slightly over your price limit, though. But totally worth it.

Tg522587

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I wouldn't rule out the alien if you're ever looking for another mod. I carry mine to work and everywhere. If you buy it now they all come with the upgraded firmware.

But back to your question, I use the pink Samsung ones and they have never let down. Just get a name brand from a reputable company that can obviously meet your mods needs.

mhertz

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Smoant battlestar or charon - cheap, well-built, accurate WV and good TC ;)

For batteries(~20a cdr), samsung 30q, sony vtc6 or vtc5a. For lower power vaping(~20w max per cell), sanyo ncr18650ga.

Last edited:

thevapesofwrath

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think I am confusing the two. I mean the part you hold and change options on, as opposed to the tank or whatever else.

thevapesofwrath

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I wouldn't rule out the alien if you're ever looking for another mod. I carry mine to work and everywhere. If you buy it now they all come with the upgraded firmware.

But back to your question, I use the pink Samsung ones and they have never let down. Just get a name brand from a reputable company that can obviously meet your mods needs.

Im not against the alien, I've just heard the predator was meant to improve on it, and since it obviously didn't, then I was just worried it would suffer similar problems.

If its relatively durable, easy to use, etc. I'd consider it.

thevapesofwrath

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Geekvape Aegis is getting decent reviews as being a tough mod, single battery, water and shock proof

Another one I almost pulled the pin on is the Tesla Nano 120W. Very cool look built out of single piece of steel. Great reviews and looks like it can take a beating. Don't worry about the tank, pretty much all mods except proprietary ones will take any tank. What you need to know is that your mod can run the wattage you normally run
I usually vape at 55.5 watts (when I run at this wattage it also says 5.57 volts, 0.56 ohms, 6049 P, 0.00 A). I'm still confuses as to what all those numbers mean, I just know that's what I run mine at. At this point I think the two most important aspects are 1.it won't glitch out on me within a month or two and 2.I won't have significant trouble switching from the predator to whatever the other is.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Alright cool. I'm still a bit unclear on the terminology.

No worries, we've all been there at some point. :)

Personally, I'd stay away from the Alien. There are people who swear by theirs but seems like just as many who have had problems (I'm in the latter group), and their customer support is nonexistent. The Aegis is definitely a good tank, but there's also the Battlestar, which gets overwhelmingly positive reviews.

thevapesofwrath

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I see the geekvape aegis for about $60 here. That seems reasonable. Another big plus would be for it to charge via USB. Im aware that charging in a battery charger is better, but the convenience of the USB has been a real life saver at work.

thevapesofwrath

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No worries, we've all been there at some point. :)

Personally, I'd stay away from the Alien. There are people who swear by theirs but seems like just as many who have had problems (I'm in the latter group), and their customer support is nonexistent. The Aegis is definitely a good tank, but there's also the Battlestar, which gets overwhelmingly positive reviews.

Right now the aegis and battlestar are at the top of my list. I'm researching both ATM. I don't know if its relevant but I vape 24mg nicotine and don't really care about giant clouds, just want an efficient nicotine delivery system at this point.

thevapesofwrath

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Right now the aegis and battlestar are at the top of my list. I'm researching both ATM. I don't know if its relevant but I vape 24mg nicotine and don't really care about giant clouds, just want an efficient nicotine delivery system at this point.

Is there a major difference between these two that anyone knows of? Or I guess, these three, including the Charon. They're all within my price range and I'm going to go with whichever one works "best".

nlt2836

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have both the Battlestar and Charon but love the Battlestar more simply because of the way it feels in my hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rufftimes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Aegis does not charge by usb. That's part of the reason they were able to make it waterproof

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

The nicotine question has to do with the tank and coil you use, not the mod. :) If you really need shockproof/waterproof/dustproof and USB charging (you could carry an extra battery in a case instead), go with the Aegis. If you don't absolutely need those things but want a solid workhorse, go with the Battlestar. Can't really go wrong with it.

thevapesofwrath

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Aegis does not charge by usb. That's part of the reason they were able to make it waterproof
Oh okay, awesome. Thanks for that. I live in a rural area and its not easy to just go and buy things I need. I order mostly online and so the less pieces I need the better (I.e. battery charger).

It doesn't really have to be waterproof so much as it has to be a functioning product. If I drop the thing or get it dirty or wet that's on me. But I don't want to get one that is going to do strange things like tell me my atomizer is low or there's an atomizer short two months in. I realize its not completely avoidable, but I have to be careful with my money these days.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Smoant battlestar or charon - cheap, well-built, accurate WV and good TC ;)

For batteries(~20a cdr), samsung 30q, sony vtc6 or vtc5a. For lower power vaping(~20w max per cell), sanyo ncr18650ga.
This is a fact, Smoant products do have really good temperature control, if your into it...and inexpensive. They seem to make really decent mods at an affordable price.

thevapesofwrath

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The battlestar sounds awesome. The only thing stopping me is the USB because I don't own a battery charger at the moment and am not sure if it uses the same batteries mine does. I'm trying to spend as little as possible to a degree. Right now my thinking is I'd rather put more into the mod rather than allocate funds out of my budget to buy a charger and new batteries.

And the thing is, I don't need it to be bulletproof. The problems I'm having seem to be more from an inherent bug in the software as opposed to being from damage. I say this because of the many similar reports of it doing this without any real damage.

thevapesofwrath

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just googled the battlestar again and several people are saying there is in fact a USB charging option. If that's true I might go with that.

nlt2836

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just googled the battlestar again and several people are saying there is in fact a USB charging option. If that's true I might go with that.

Yes the Battlestar can be charged via USB. I have one and can confirm it to be true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thevapesofwrath

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
OK so, in this review it says:

"The Smoant Battlestar 200W adopts the gold-plated 510 connector which perfectly flushes on any 22mm – 25mm atomizers. The Battlestar 200W has a dimension size of 83.5mm (h) x 40mm (w) x 34mm (d). The dashboard interface has a common layout like the Reuleaux RX2/3 although the OLED screen is a little smaller: fire button above the screen, adjustable buttons are in one-piece (“-” on the left and “+” on the right), USB port is at the bottom for charging purposes but no firmware upgrade feature."

So according to that, and the reply above, it can be charged by USB. It seems like a good mod. I think I'll go with it.

The last detail is whether it takes the same batteries as I have in my predator or not.
The predator takes batteries that say:

"18650 2500mAh 3.7V"

I think its the same type that the battlestar takes.

thevapesofwrath

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also I'm having trouble finding it. Checked vapingnw, elev8vape isn't loading for some reason (my outdated Google probably) and eBay had nothing. Any idea where to buy it for a fair price?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Also I'm having trouble finding it. Checked vapingnw, elev8vape isn't loading for some reason (my outdated Google probably) and eBay had nothing. Any idea where to buy it for a fair price?
I've had the mod for several months, no problems to report. I even dropped it a couple times, didn't hurt a thing.

thevapesofwrath

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well alright then. I appreciate all the help. I'll go see if I can order from that link and if all goes well then I'd say problem solved. Great answers everyone. Very cool of you.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I got mine on gearbest, which I believe is the cheapest option of them all:

https://www.gearbest.com/temperature-control-mods/pp_447926.html

Btw, 3fvape by default uses epacket shipping.

Anyway, I love them all, and just get where its cheapest at the time(with shipping)... 99% of my vape gear through the last 4 years have been bought from these places :)

And yet my packet from 3fvape took over 2 weeks, compared with 7-9 days from FT. lol

mhertz

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, epacket isn't always a guaranty of speedy delivery ;) I've had 3fvape packets delivered in everything between 6 days and almost a month, and that's to europe where i'm from. The same I have with fasttech, and that was with regular shipping, as only the last year or so, learned to choose the epacket option, which does mostly make for a faster delivery agreed :)

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vapecrawler is a good search engine, enough so that I've been staying domestic on the vape mail.

For an Atlantis EVO at 55w, the Battlestar is a fine match. I do own one and battery life is mediocre at higher wattages but not an issue with my comparable Cleito at 50w. It has been free of electronic glitches, 510 issues, paint problems, etc.

I don't own an Aspire Speeder but reviews have been good in the couple of months on the market.

I rank my Sigelei Kaos a notch lower, but it was well worth it for the $32 i paid. I use it as a beater mod when traveling. By lower, the build quality, temp control capability, and venting holes (lack of) aren't the greatest. Battery life is good though.

VU Sponsors