Become a Patron!

New build new rda

B_noonan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just picked up a doge v2 and some 26gauge I wanna put a 1-1.2ohm build in it, how many wraps should I do and around what size post: it's my first rda and build btw

B_noonan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just want something in that range so I can use it on my istick 20w, which won't fire below 1ohm. But I have a kbox which fires down to .4ohms so pretty much open to all suggestions.

dantefire

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp

Not good enough yet to just provide that info off the top of my head. Positive others here are, but I'm not.

This is what I've used to learn to build, based off the advice of many from this forum.

D.

Last edited:

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
single coil........ i would say about 10 wraps of 26ga around a 2.5mm or 3/32" rod

i do 9 wraps of 26ga in a dual coil set up and get 0.5Xohms....so in theory around 10 wraps on a single coil should put you about 1.1ish

B_noonan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks guys, did 9 wraps around a 2mm screw driver and it gave me 1ohm. I'm getting a really metallic taste, the wick isn't too tight and it's super saturated. Could it just be that I fucked up somewhere in the build?

**should I post this in another thread? Kind of new to VU

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
what metal you use for the coil?
and what juice?

B_noonan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
26 gauge A1 kanthal and a 50/50 blend I'm pretty sure, Japanese cotton for the wick too

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
did you clean off the RDA with soap and water before you built in it?

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
a lot of times new RDAs have machine oil on them still. the need to be cleaned with soap and water........that is one cause of metallic taste

B_noonan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
did you clean off the RDA with soap and water before you built in it?
No...didn't even think to do that. I didn't torch the kanthal either but dry burned it once it was in the rda. Should I just rebuild and make sure the wick is good?

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No...didn't even think to do that. I didn't torch the kanthal either but dry burned it once it was in the rda. Should I just rebuild and make sure the wick is good?

i would take it apart, clean it, recoil and re wick. or at least pull the wick out and clean the RDA with the coil in. wash carefully and dry it...then re wick

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
if youdry burned the kanthol it wont matter. torching it makes it more brittle and easier to wrap tight. doesnt really effect flavor in my experience.

B_noonan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i would take it apart, clean it, recoil and re wick. or at least pull the wick out and clean the RDA with the coil in. wash carefully and dry it...then re wick
I'll try that out, thanks man definitely helping out with my first build

B_noonan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
if youdry burned the kanthol it wont matter. torching it makes it more brittle and easier to wrap tight. doesnt really effect flavor in my experience.
Thats what I thought but I wasn't sure if it had any other purpose other than making it easier to wrap, 26gauge is pretty easy to wrap as is so ill just stick to dry burning for now

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Also, instead of soap and water, you can soak it in 90% isopropyl alcohol for a bit. It will remove any leftover machining oils. Also, if you aren't that careful with your rinse it won't leave soap residue behind. But be careful with painted parts. Not sure if it will take off the paint, though I suspect it probably won't. Also, make sure it is 100% dry before you try to fire it. That stuff is very flammable, although it evaporates quickly and a good water rinse will usually remove all of it.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Also, instead of soap and water, you can soak it in 90% isopropyl alcohol for a bit. It will remove any leftover machining oils. Also, if you aren't that careful with your rinse it won't leave soap residue behind. But be careful with painted parts. Not sure if it will take off the paint, though I suspect it probably won't. Also, make sure it is 100% dry before you try to fire it. That stuff is very flammable, although it evaporates quickly and a good water rinse will usually remove all of it.
This is good advice. Alcohol actually removes grease, water just runs through it.

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Apparently, I was enamored with using the word Also to begin sentences yesterday. Hmm...

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That machine oil taste is so bad. Just thinking about it makes me gag.

yasaboss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Did the same when I got my plume veil 1.5 I was like WTF it was horrible taste lol was so excited i forgot the first step

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Definately clean it well. A 9 wrap coil at 2mm is kinda long and narrow. You might want to up the diameter a little and reduce the wraps by a couple.

GrayVaper

Drips in Public
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That could explain a lot for me too. Setup a new Mutation X last night. Like a numbnut, I did a quick water rinse of the components and then added (2) 24 gauge kanthal coils for a .3 ohm build. I burned them off, of course, and added Jap cotton. The break in is going a little harsh right now.

VU Sponsors