Become a Patron!

New builder looking for cheap mod that can handle builds

blisteredtwister

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Over the hill and broke...looking for a decent but cheap mod (around 60$) that's at least dual batteries that can handle super stapled staggered 32 core monster without blowing my face off ;) Started with a sigelei spark, then moved onto the Eleaf istick 5000mah for the price and reviews seemed to be good. Can't see how everyone is vaping at 60-120 W, but if I go over 40 - 50W, it burns my lips on the Avocado 24, which I really like, and the leaky Pharoah that's easy to build and wick on. Always run between .2 - .4 ohms Ka1 and SS. Appreciate any suggestions and tips you can give...Thanks

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hohmtech Hohm Wrecker G2. Fires anything and Tc's anything.

Variety's the very spice of life, that gives it all it's flavour.

-William Cowper

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
A couple of questions.

What is the average wattage that you vape at? Screw what other folks are doing as this is about YOU!

How much E-Liquid do you go through in a day?

Are you primarily looking for flavor or clouds or a bit of both?

blisteredtwister

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A couple of questions.

What is the average wattage that you vape at? Screw what other folks are doing as this is about YOU!

Are you primarily looking for flavor or clouds or a b
A couple of questions.

A couple of questions.

lol wtf? sorry... I'm old and new to forums and instagram...flavor and usually 35 - 45W dual fused ka1 .3 ohms, juice...about 15ml on the avocado, not so much on the Rip, just can't get any flavor outta that

blisteredtwister

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
jeez...I'm old and new to forums and instagram lol...about 35 - 45W dual fused .32 ohms, juice...about 15ml on the avocado, not so much on the Rip, can't get that thing to taste good

blisteredtwister

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A couple of questions.

lol wtf...did i reply even? That Hugo looks sweet, been looking at wismec rx 2/3 because of 3rd parallel option

blisteredtwister

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Worth keeping an eye on The official VAPE MAIL!!!!!!! thread as you will see some bargains in there like when somebody has a sale on a good device. This is a good cheap device - Hugo Vapor Boxer TC 160 but I am sure there are plenty others in that price range.
Hugo looks sweet, was looking at rx2/3, battery recommendation? See a lot people getting the browns think 3000mah and pushes 20a, or do i need a higher continuous amp, like 35a

blisteredtwister

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A couple of questions.

jeez...I'm old and new to forums and instagram lol...about 35 - 45W dual fused .32 ohms, juice...about 15ml on the avocado, not so much on the Rip, can't get that thing to taste good

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Hugo looks sweet, was looking at rx2/3, battery recommendation? See a lot people getting the browns think 3000mah and pushes 20a, or do i need a higher continuous amp, like 35a
Whichever battery you think has a 35A CDR avoid it. No such animal. It's like a Jackalope or wild highland haggis outside Aberdeen. Most people go with a Samsung 25R (run cooler) or the lg browns (3000mah/20A-runs a bit longer). Main thing.. Samsung, Sony, LG... I won't trust my face or moobs (I carry my mod in my breast pocket) to anything else. Never mind the higher CDR.. higher CDR = lower MaH (less run time) and the mod regulates that anyway.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Do you have a picture of your tank and coil set up, and maybe a description of what kind of coil build you have? Mainly, the gauge of the core wire and how many strands and number of wraps per coil?
I'm thinking 45w for dual coil fused claptons is really really low. So you wouldn't be getting much flavor or vapor from them.
fused clapton.jpg
I'm running this at 90w and it is just a single coil.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Running coils 35-50 watts, any dual battery (18650 or 26650) will work ok for you. Some are more better than others. Look around at some threads and keep on eye on the for sale section and Joe's deals sections.

You can get good batteries from llionwholesale.com or a few other sources. You'll also need a good 2 or 4 bay charger going this route. DON'T rely on, on board charging.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Running coils 35-50 watts, any dual battery (18650 or 26650) will work ok for you. Some are more better than others. Look around at some threads and keep on eye on the for sale section and Joe's deals sections.

You can get good batteries from llionwholesale.com or a few other sources. You'll also need a good 2 or 4 bay charger going this route. DON'T rely on, on board charging.
Xtar or Nitecore are the 2 recommended brands. Both are known to be safe and reliable. (nitecore batteries are crap though... lol, go figure)

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Xtar or Nitecore are the 2 recommended brands. Both are known to be safe and reliable. (nitecore batteries are crap though... lol, go figure)
So is Opus.
And I would not choose a Nitecore after the experience I have had with the last three I have owned.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
So is Opus.
And I would not choose a Nitecore after the experience I have had with the last three I have owned.
Dunno.. 9 months running 24/7 with mine, and no problems.
I haven't really heard of the Opus one. I'll have to take a look.

http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review Charger Opus BT-C3100 UK.html
Looks pretty good.. but looks expensive.
50% off though... http://www.gearbest.com/chargers/pp_173012.html
Still $15 more than I paid for the nitecore with a lot of bells and whistles I would never use.

Last edited:

blisteredtwister

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Do you have a picture of your tank and coil set up, and maybe a description of what kind of coil build you have? Mainly, the gauge of the core wire and how many strands and number of wraps per coil?
I'm thinking 45w for dual coil fused claptons is really really low. So you wouldn't be getting much flavor or vapor from them.
View attachment 71060
yea give me a few, i just ordered a macro lens, my instagram photos are...well..I'm new lol. But yea, running at .32ohms, tried it at 60w, and hotter than hell...not the mod or battery but the drip tip. instagram same as my name here...for give the photos lol, 2 year old phone, but I'll try to post a new one here or there shortly. Thanks a lot man

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
yea give me a few, i just ordered a macro lens, my instagram photos are...well..I'm new lol. But yea, running at .32ohms, tried it at 60w, and hotter than hell...not the mod or battery but the drip tip. instagram same as my name here...for give the photos lol, 2 year old phone, but I'll try to post a new one here or there shortly. Thanks a lot man

Ok 60w to hot, so turn the watts down to about 20 and go up until you get the temperature you like. Air flow affects temperature and flavor. More air cools the coils, less air gives better flavor, but you still have to be mindful of the temperature from the wattage.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
tried those new hohm life or hohm work batteries?
I only use Samsung, Sony, or LG because I KNOW what the chemistry is. Other brands are either re-wrapped factory 2nds that failed first run quality control (usually made by sony, samsung, lg) or flat out made in China put a gun to your head, pull the trigger and hope the chamber is empty, batteries.
There is only like $6 difference or less (usually around $2 difference) between a good, high quality battery or one that has already failed QC tests. So ask yourself.. for something you buy maybe once or twice a year, is saving $6 worth the risk? Even regulated mods fail, and if mine does, I want to know the batteries will heat up to 212F+, and vent out rather than blow up.

blisteredtwister

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
View attachment 71060
6 wraps at 2.5 fused 28*2, 32g...reading .43ohms running at 40w and...any higher would be burnin'
phone pics 234.jpg phone pics 235.jpg phone pics 236.jpg

blisteredtwister

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I only use Samsung, Sony, or LG because I KNOW what the chemistry is. Other brands are either re-wrapped factory 2nds that failed first run quality control (usually made by sony, samsung, lg) or flat out made in China put a gun to your head, pull the trigger and hope the chamber is empty, batteries.
There is only like $6 difference or less (usually around $2 difference) between a good, high quality battery or one that has already failed QC tests. So ask yourself.. for something you buy maybe once or twice a year, is saving $6 worth the risk? Even regulated mods fail, and if mine does, I want to know the batteries will heat up to 212F+, and vent out rather than blow up.
thanks...being new, why i upgraded to the eleaf cuz i thought internal 5000mah be plenty

blisteredtwister

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok 60w to hot, so turn the watts down to about 20 and go up until you get the temperature you like. Air flow affects temperature and flavor. More air cools the coils, less air gives better flavor, but you still have to be mindful of the temperature from the wattage.
still wonder what specs are that peeps are vaping 80 - 100w...even higher o.o

blisteredtwister

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
phone pics 211.jpg VerdeVally Vapes, wow...Xmas doulble the BOGO, got 8 100ml bottles for 53$ plus delivered fast and flavors are awesome, all of them. No more skepticism bout the cheap prices and amount givin! Just thought I'd pass them on if anyone hasn't tried them

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
still wonder what specs are that peeps are vaping 80 - 100w...even higher o.o
Oh Im using 24ga NiChrome 2 strand parallel, wrapped in 32ga SS. Dual coil on a 3.0 mm id core. Since I am pushing more mass, i need more power. :)

@blisteredtwister "We're not gonna smoke em, NO we're not gonna smoke em... We're not gonna smoke em, anymoreeeeee... "?
TS Ref?

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
neat calcualtor...but I missed something lol...says i should have 72 wraps, what's diameter of 26g, have a spool of every flavor but none say diameter
the diameter we are talking about is the size of the hole through the middle of you coil, where your cotton goes. lol
I would go batty trying to remember the metric for each gauge.

ignore any resistance for the wire you wrapped with. It doesn't really carry current.
Current flows through the path of least resistance, so since the core wires have a lower resistance than the wrapping wire.. we measure resistance of the core, but not the wraps.

blisteredtwister

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
the diameter we are talking about is the size of the hole through the middle of you coil, where your cotton goes. lol
I would go batty trying to remember the metric for each gauge.

ignore any resistance for the wire you wrapped with. It doesn't really carry current.
Current flows through the path of least resistance, so since the core wires have a lower resistance than the wrapping wire.. we measure resistance of the core, but not the wraps.
lol ikr...so its saying i should be around 70W...It did taste alot better for a few, but crazy blow back

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
ok yea that pretty much right...ever since started vaping i have like 50 bookmarks for stores, info, tutorials, etc.
Ok so now I am wondering, why my theory coils are coming in at 0.29 resistance, which should be pretty accurate to less than 0.01 ohm, but yours are actually coming in at 0.43 ohms on your physical coils. There isn't a long leg going through the post and hitting the opposite coil is there? Any dark spots on your wick? Its a bit hard to see in the pics.

Check to see if your screws are tight and the coils are firmly in place.

blisteredtwister

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well thank you sir gbalkam, you are both a gentleman and a scholar lol (quote from some movie) vape community is so much cooler than the gaming peeps...hopefully get my clip on macro for some better pics and build in a few weeks...have to check me out and see my slow climb to greatness :D

blisteredtwister

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok so now I am wondering, why my theory coils are coming in at 0.29 resistance, which should be pretty accurate to less than 0.01 ohm, but yours are actually coming in at 0.43 ohms on your physical coils. There isn't a long leg going through the post and hitting the opposite coil is there? Any dark spots on your wick? Its a bit hard to see in the pics.

Check to see if your screws are tight and the coils are firmly in place.
no...velocity style and clipped flush, tight...only thing i notice almost always is the upper leg on each side seems to darken the wick pretty quick, and they fired up nicely before wicking. ahh I see, if changed to .43 says it'd be 9 wraps and a medium vape

Last edited:

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Well thank you sir gbalkam, you are both a gentleman and a scholar lol (quote from some movie) vape community is so much cooler than the gaming peeps...hopefully get my clip on macro for some better pics and build in a few weeks...have to check me out and see my slow climb to greatness :D
ok I put you on follow.
The math not adding up is driving me batty. (math / science nerd here)

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
no...velocity style and clipped flush, tight...only thing i notice almost always is the upper leg on each side seems to darken the wick pretty quick, and they fired up nicely before wicking
Sounds like a hot leg, if they are tight, maybe loosen the screws, wiggle the coil (after it cools a bit) and retighten, just to get a better trap on the wire. You dont want to pull it out, or push it in, just get it to settle a bit.
single fused clapton.jpg
I've been using this one for at least 3 hours now. Notice, the wick isn't turning brown? I notice when i have a hot leg, it turns brown where the leg is heating.

blisteredtwister

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
could throw a build in the pharoah, see if its the 35$ eleaf mod... yeah, i just put that one in and the one side on both is brown already...try what you said..Now that I think about it, even if I wrapped it reversed, the same side would turn even tho legs were on bottom right

Last edited:

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
could throw a build in the pharoah, see if its the 35$ eleaf mod... yeah, i just put that one in and the one side on both is brown already...try what you said
Main thing, don't get discouraged. It just takes practice. Although, I got one hell of a dry hit off a hot leg once... that was a HUGE incentive to learn to avoid those.. and FAST.

blisteredtwister

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sounds like a hot leg, if they are tight, maybe loosen the screws, wiggle the coil (after it cools a bit) and retighten, just to get a better trap on the wire. You dont want to pull it out, or push it in, just get it to settle a bit.
View attachment 71067
I've been using this one for at least 3 hours now. Notice, the wick isn't turning brown? I notice when i have a hot leg, it turns brown where the leg is heating.
do you have both legs going to the top? It looks like

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
do you have both legs going to the top? It looks like
In this case I do, but only because I wanted the coil to sit higher in the deck, then bent it down to get the juice.
Since I am only using 1 coil, I threaded the wick under the coil and into the opposite juice well to hold and draw more juice. But, if i had a hot leg, it would still brown the wick, of course.

blisteredtwister

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Main thing, don't get discouraged. It just takes practice. Although, I got one hell of a dry hit off a hot leg once... that was a HUGE incentive to learn to avoid those.. and FAST.
since rebuildables I haven't smoked in 6 months, tried the ecig clearomizer deal a couple years ago but i was only trying tobacco flavors and...yuck so started rolling my own, plus i have too much invested now lol...spools and spools and drills and tools oh my...now camera upgrades heh. Vaping some crunch berries...pretty good, even milky and not too much berry flavor

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
since rebuildables I haven't smoked in 6 months, tried the ecig clearomizer deal a couple years ago but i was only trying tobacco flavors and...yuck so started rolling my own, plus i have too much invested now lol...spools and spools and drills and tools oh my...now camera upgrades heh. Vaping some crunch berries...pretty good, even milky and not too much berry flavor
I use a $3 web cam from ebay for the photos I posted and my videos. Just simple tutorials, not going for an emmy or anything, but they show quite nicely how to wrap a coil and clapton a wire (or 2). Since they aren't "professional, studio quality" videos, I figure they may be less intimidating to new builders. And if i make a mistake, I fix it and move on. I only edit out the big ones that take a long time to fix. Like dropping the spool of wire. LOL.

blisteredtwister

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use a $3 web cam from ebay for the photos I posted and my videos. Just simple tutorials, not going for an emmy or anything, but they show quite nicely how to wrap a coil and clapton a wire (or 2). Since they aren't "professional, studio quality" videos, I figure they may be less intimidating to new builders. And if i make a mistake, I fix it and move on. I only edit out the big ones that take a long time to fix. Like dropping the spool of wire. LOL.
ugh, i got some spool tamers cuz i kept letting them explode, but clip on macro/wide angle lens for phone was only 3$ also...hitting the sack... is that your youtube name also for the vids? Nice man, you put out a lot of info, and your my age lol...thanks bud...subscribed...ttyl

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
ugh, i got some spool tamers cuz i kept letting them explode, but clip on macro/wide angle lens for phone was only 3$ also...hitting the sack... is that your youtube name also for the vids? Nice man, you put out a lot of info, and your my age lol...thanks bud...subscribed...ttyl
Yep, it is.

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Over the hill and broke...looking for a decent but cheap mod (around 60$) that's at least dual batteries that can handle super stapled staggered 32 core monster without blowing my face off ;) Started with a sigelei spark, then moved onto the Eleaf istick 5000mah for the price and reviews seemed to be good. Can't see how everyone is vaping at 60-120 W, but if I go over 40 - 50W, it burns my lips on the Avocado 24, which I really like, and the leaky Pharoah that's easy to build and wick on. Always run between .2 - .4 ohms Ka1 and SS. Appreciate any suggestions and tips you can give...Thanks
I'm having same issue with the avocado 24. Running dual .38 tiger coils. 40w+ good flavor but top cap/drip tip burns my lips after 2nd hit. I started a thread about it, and was told my build might be too big. So I picked up some SS316l and gonna try something simple. See what happens....

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I'm having same issue with the avocado 24. Running dual .38 tiger coils. 40w+ good flavor but top cap/drip tip burns my lips after 2nd hit. I started a thread about it, and was told my build might be too big. So I picked up some SS316l and gonna try something simple. See what happens....
Strip it down, just like you would to change the wick. Remove current with, dry fire coils and watch for hot legs at the +/- posts. Fix that issue if it exists, then reassemble, make sure your air flow is directly over your coil. If your lips are still burning, drop down to 38 watts, and / or get a non-metalic drip tip that doesn't transfer heat as much. My best guess at this point would be hot legs are the problem.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
tried those new hohm life or hohm work batteries?
No, I only buy LG or Samsung batteries. All others like you mention are re-wrapped and generally not even close to their advertised limits. CDR is very important, and anyone misrepresenting those numbers should NOT be trusted.

Vamped and eFest comes to mind.

VU Sponsors