Become a Patron!

New Builder, need help with achieving a higher ohm.

Hello,

I am wondering how would i go about getting a higher ohm build. I am currently using 24g and 22g wire for my builds. Anything I happen to build comes out between .2 and .4 ohm. Seems to me no matter what I wrap it always seems to be somewhere in between.

How would I achieve this?

I have a few RDA at my disposal. Currently running a Segeli 150w. I do have an ohm meter.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
For starters, this will be a great help for you.

http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp

Depending on what your target resistance is, you may be able to use the same wire and achieve your goal by increasing the diameter of your coils and using more wraps.

If that does not work, you are going to purchase some different wire.

Tim Vatic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The problem is the gauge of kanthal your using 22g is pretty thick and your going to have to get a LOT of raps, which will be difficult to fit in the rba. If you have to use that kanthal and can't get your hands on some 28g then wrap a larger diameter coil. this will help you get a higher ohm coil without having to do a hundred wraps. If you have a smartphone get the free app "Vaper's toolbox" and familiarize yourself with Ohms law. There is a ohms law calc in vapers toolbox but I prefer to use a different one. You can also download a free ohms law calculator app as well.

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I use 22ga, .2-.3 ohm builds on my segelei 150 almost exclusively. As long as your using +20amp batteries, those builds will work fine.
For such a device, 26ga is as thin as I go, as theres no real return for going much smaller, especially with an rda. The good news is, regardless of which gauge of wire you prefer, the sig will power it just fine (unless your going crazy low).
Which rdas are you using?

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
With the mod you're using I'm not understanding why you're so concerned with the resistance of the build. Why is .2 - .4 a problem?

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It could be that the heat of the vape is the issue. I'm using a .7 build right now, on my Segelei 150. Cool, lots of flavor, and great clouds. 26ga Chromel-c duals, 10 wraps, 2.5mm ID. I have put that same build on my unregulated series box, and still not had much of a temp issue.
But yes, with 22ga wire, you're going to have to build it pretty much as big as will fit in your rda to get higher resistance.

VU Sponsors