Become a Patron!

New builder, what RBA is best to start with?

Silent_Sapper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hello,

I have been vaping for 6 months now and have moved from the little Ego's w/ throw away carts to up to the VV/VW mods, currently I am using SVD( 18650 VTC5 Sony) w/ Nautilus Aspire. I was pretty happy with flavor and vapor production until I tried a friend’s AGA-T7 on a mech. WOW is all I had to say, so now I have ordered some 28g Kanthal, Silica, and a mech. He told me that any of the Kayfun, taifun, or rsst (not sure if i got that one right) are great for beginners to rebuild and are forgiving. I have been looking all over I research a lot before I make a jump. I am looking to get a clone because I don't have the $$ to spend on authentic RBA's and end up hating it. So what manufacturer should I look for the clones, what do you think is the best platform to begin on? If my friend was still stationed here with me I would just go get the AGA he got and have him help me rebuild it, since he has PCSed I have been reading and YouTube to learn how to make coils. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

VaporJoe

_ the end has arrived _
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Genesis Styles are pretty much dead these days.. It seems to be all drippers. Id start with a simple 3 post dripper like an IGO-W or a Patriot clone. A few bucks and your good.

Silent_Sapper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am looking at drippers too, since they have insane flavor, but I am looking for something with a tank as well.

bobdarkside

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Then you want to check out a kayfun. Good flavor without the hassle of dripping every so often.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Kayfun is easy to build... I would start there.. I started with genny style way back in the day and stopped RBA's for a while.. picked up a KF a few months ago and had no issues building on it. They work great.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
My vote is for the Kayfun as well. They are easy to build and you can purchase things like quartz tanks for them so you don't have to worry about tank crackers.

26650_hero

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My two cents: get a dripper with big post-holes. Seriously, nothing takes away the fun of rebuilding like high dripwell walls and small post holes. A Tobh is what comes to my mind, but I know that there are other good examples of easy to build on dripper RBAs.

Tank style is cool, but seriously the overall performance of a dripper is what's gonna hook you on wrapping coils.

chickenmonkey

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Kayfun taifun they are both great.

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
RSST is perfect to start with. Almost nothing can go wrong really. The wick sticks out, vertically, so there's no balancing act or tricky fingering. Personally, i'd start from there and move on when you get good enough to do smaller coil surgeries.

Silent_Sapper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for all of the input, Jeremy i was looking at the RSST, can i use silica and kanthal or do I need anything special? I will be using a dripper for home, but being military i need a tank, the steel version of the kayfun is what caught my eye my protanks cant handle my abuse.

chris damron

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You can get the authentic patriot v1.2 for around/under $50 most places. It's a dead simple RDA but the build quality and construction are top notch. Out of all my high end RDAs that I own, it's the one that I always go back to because I know I'll never spin/snap a post or have problems fitting wire thru the posts. The screw heads are flat so you can also trap wire under them. The center post and 510 pin are 24k gold played so conductivity is thru the roof. You really can't go wrong with it.

Silent_Sapper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So is the clone version of the patriot trash? 50$ is a little much for me right now for a dripper, based on what all the great people here have opened my eyes to.

Silent_Sapper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My vote is for the Kayfun as well. They are easy to build and you can purchase things like quartz tanks for them so you don't have to worry about tank crackers.
are there certain clones that are better than others?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
The Kayfun Lite Clone from Angelcigs is first rate and sells for $20 shipped from the US warehouse.

I am using it right now!

Silent_Sapper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The Kayfun Lite Clone from Angelcigs is first rate and sells for $20 shipped from the US warehouse.

I am using it right now!
The Kayfun Lite is the plus better or no? I am on the site right now is the Ivogo best?

Silent_Sapper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well I ordered KF V3.1 and KFL+ ill see what one i like best

I've been using the Aga T2's (they are fiddly, but I've enjoyed the
clean flavor and they work well).

Picked up an hCigar Kayfun v3.1 and have been absolutely impressed. Easy to build, great TH, and flavor ... almost too much flavor. Had to put the widest bore tip I had on it to mute the flavor a touch.

Great tank, for sure.

Gonzi

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
+1 on the KFL+, I have a black Tobeco one and it is great quality. I don't have an Ivogo Kayfun lite, but I do have a mini from them, and judging by my mini, the lite + and the 3.1 have got to be just as good as the original that they are copying.

The RSST will be easy to build as far as coiling it and avoiding hotspots, but IMO, you'll have a better, more consistent vape out a Kayfun, and being military, you won't have to worry about it leaking or anything, since the RSST you're gonna have to keep it vertical when not in use.

Gonzi

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
bottom coil RBA. Fogger v4 maybe
Fogger V4 is great, but it can be a pain to set up compared to Kayfun. In my experience, Kayfun is much more forgiving and it's easier to attach your coil and wick it right, vs trapping 2 coils under rounded head screws and air holes on the wick deck.

Silent_Sapper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
+1 on the KFL+, I have a black Tobeco one and it is great quality. I don't have an Ivogo Kayfun lite, but I do have a mini from them, and judging by my mini, the lite + and the 3.1 have got to be just as good as the original that they are copying.

The RSST will be easy to build as far as coiling it and avoiding hotspots, but IMO, you'll have a better, more consistent vape out a Kayfun, and being military, you won't have to worry about it leaking or anything, since the RSST you're gonna have to keep it vertical when not in use.

That is good to know about the RSST, I have my mod tossed all over the place. Having to keep something upright would be a PIA. I guess would be ok for a stay at home mod, but I think I will go with drippers for that route.

BUDKISS

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
true. I love the KAISER too but it can be a challenge

Silent_Sapper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for all the help I cant wait to see how these perform.

VU Sponsors