Become a Patron!

New Coil, Same Juice, Big Cloud, No Flavor

Super new to the forum and fairly new to the vaping community. Maybe someone has been in this position before, but here goes:

eleaf iStick 30w
Kanger Nano

Was running a 1.2 ohm coil before I finally burnt it up.

Got a new OCC 0.5 ohm replacement (that happened to be the new vertical style) and so far it goes like this:

If I let the mod sit for 20-30 minutes before taking a pull, the first hit is flavorful just as it was with the 1.2 ohm. Every consecutive pull after that still produces a good cloud, but is damn near odder-less and tasteless.

I've only had this juice for 6 days, so I doubt its fatigue, but I don't know enough to tell the difference between fatigue and faulty equipment.

I should note that my eleaf is only reading the coil at 0.6 ohm and not a true 0.5 ohm. Also, my top end for volts is 4.2v where as with the 1.2 ohm I was easily breaking 5.0v on the 20-30w range.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey buddy...Welcome to Vaping Underground and congrats on making the switch to vaping! :)

I haven't tried the new vertical coils yet made by the factory, just my home builds and the traditional stock OCC coils so I can only give you so much help bud but I will do my best...

First I will address your question about the difference in voltage....You mod has a maximum output capacity of only 30 watts....the lower the resistance of your coil the lower the voltage needs to be and the higher your amp drain limit needs to be because it will drain your battery faster. So with a .5 ohm coil you hit 30 watts with a much lower voltage output than you do with 1.2 ohms which requires a higher voltage output but drains your battery a little slower so it does it with a lower amp drain off your battery. I know this stuff is confusing at first but for now remember the lower the resistance the lower voltage and higher the amp drain is needed and for higher resistances the higher the voltage is needed with lower amp drain needed to get the same amount of wattage out of the coil.

Now onto your flavor problems....those coils are supposed to be able to vape at much higher wattages than the standard .5 ohm OCC coils which really like to stay around 25 watts...your 30 watts might not just be enough power to make them happy and produce a good flavor like when you try and run a .5 ohm standard OCC coil around 10 or 12 watts...you'll get some vapor for sure but it and the flavor will be weak...does the vapor taste cold and kinda wet and blahish for lack of better words other than just a lack of flavor?

Also, when you install a new OCC coil of any kind into a subtank you need to put a couple drops of juice on each of the juice ports on the coil assembly and a couple straight on the coil threw the top and watch them to make sure they soak in to the cotton before you screw your tank together...this will help cut down on wait time from your 20 plus minutes to under 10 you have to wait for it to be vapeable without a dry hit right off the bat.

I hope this was some what helpful and maybe with some more information we can get to the bottom of this and get you rockin' again :)

Hey buddy...Welcome to Vaping Underground and congrats on making the switch to vaping! :)

I haven't tried the new vertical coils yet made by the factory, just my home builds and the traditional stock OCC coils so I can only give you so much help bud but I will do my best...

First I will address your question about the difference in voltage....You mod has a maximum output capacity of only 30 watts....the lower the resistance of your coil the lower the voltage needs to be and the higher your amp drain limit needs to be because it will drain your battery faster. So with a .5 ohm coil you hit 30 watts with a much lower voltage output than you do with 1.2 ohms which requires a higher voltage output but drains your battery a little slower so it does it with a lower amp drain off your battery. I know this stuff is confusing at first but for now remember the lower the resistance the lower voltage and higher the amp drain is needed and for higher resistances the higher the voltage is needed with lower amp drain needed to get the same amount of wattage out of the coil.

Now onto your flavor problems....those coils are supposed to be able to vape at much higher wattages than the standard .5 ohm OCC coils which really like to stay around 25 watts...your 30 watts might not just be enough power to make them happy and produce a good flavor like when you try and run a .5 ohm standard OCC coil around 10 or 12 watts...you'll get some vapor for sure but it and the flavor will be weak...does the vapor taste cold and kinda wet and blahish for lack of better words other than just a lack of flavor?

Also, when you install a new OCC coil of any kind into a subtank you need to put a couple drops of juice on each of the juice ports on the coil assembly and a couple straight on the coil threw the top and watch them to make sure they soak in to the cotton before you screw your tank together...this will help cut down on wait time from your 20 plus minutes to under 10 you have to wait for it to be vapeable without a dry hit right off the bat.

I hope this was some what helpful and maybe with some more information we can get to the bottom of this and get you rockin' again :)

Turns out this was right on the money. With my iStick 30w I have to run it wide open at 30w to get enough head production on that new 60w max coil. I think with what you said about the amp drain on the battery, I may go back to 1.2 ohm coils, simply for battery life.

Thanks again for the help!

Ok. Maybe I'm loosing my marbles here. Went and got the old horizontal style 1.2 ohm OCC Kanger coil and I can't taste my juice. Switched to another flavor and it is very very mild. Don't know if I've got fatigue and don't know or if my eLeaf is going bad and even though it says it's putting out a specific wattage, I'm not noticing a difference. The only other conclusion I have after trying a flavor on a friends tank, even that tasted bland to me, is that i've got fatigue. In which case, i'll need to change flavors.

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sounds like fatigue. I vape 4-5 flavors daily just to avoid that, and still get it from time to time. I have found for me anyway that if I eat something acidic it cleanses my pallette and my flavor comes back.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok. Maybe I'm loosing my marbles here. Went and got the old horizontal style 1.2 ohm OCC Kanger coil and I can't taste my juice. Switched to another flavor and it is very very mild. Don't know if I've got fatigue and don't know or if my eLeaf is going bad and even though it says it's putting out a specific wattage, I'm not noticing a difference. The only other conclusion I have after trying a flavor on a friends tank, even that tasted bland to me, is that i've got fatigue. In which case, i'll need to change flavors.

Hey, I've been out of town for a couple days for work and forgot my phone charger :)

It sounds like a combination of flavor fatigue and a subtank coil being a subtank coil...The beautiful thing that Kanger got right about the subtank more than anything is it quite literally a middle of the road tank...its middle of the road on vapor, on flavor, and it's easy to build on compared to other sub ohm tanks that makes it an awesome beginner tank...I haven't tried the new factory vertical coils but with the horizontal ones that is my impression of it and that's why I love it for what it is. Kanger finally made something that is what everything they've made before has been molded to this purpose...it's a good learning tank, it's a good beginning tank, and it's a good subtank...but not the best :)

So I am glad you got it worked out and that it's working for you and give it a couple days and you'll get over your vapor's fatigue...we all go threw it at some point and we all get over it and learn how to avoid again :) Just don't forget to drink a little extra water as vaping dehydrates you and I'm guessing you'll have a tendency to vape more while trying to work your way threw it :)

Happy vaping and hoping the flavor has come back by now :)

VU Sponsors