New Coil? "The HeliCoil"? Need advice/help

Vapor Fiend

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
VIDEO:

I think I may have stumbled on to a new way of rolling coils. Well a certain type of coil. But I'm not sure if this has been done yet or not or if it'll even work. I messed with it a lot and got minuscule results, but I'm not the best at messing around with coils.

So I made a video of how I roll them, what they are, etc. In the hopes that maybe some of the more seasoned guys out there can improve on this and make it work.

The main issues are repeatability and determining how many wraps to achieve a repeated resistance basically. And then once you get them on posts, they're kind of difficult to maneuver and form. I probably should have called this coil "The Headache".

Anyways, check the video out, maybe try it if you have the capability and let me know what you think.

Below are some pictures:

One is just the helicoil:
IMAG0137.jpg

And this is one where instead of wrapping both wires down, one lead wen above the slot and one went below. Kind of hard to explain, but this coil might also work as a single wired dual coil, that would make quad coil setups a hell of a lot easier. I haven't tested this yet though.
IMAG0140.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jae

plinsday

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So basically its just a vertical coil?

Tapatalk: Samsung Note III

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Psst... I'll let you in on a little secret: any plain old coil that's wrapped and wicked properly and doesn't have hot spots will work 99% as well as any fancy coil. Some fancy coils will get you that extra 1% - perhaps, if the extra vape quality is not just self-delusion - but will require a lot of time and effort to make, making the whole exercise pointless and counterproductive. Most fancy coils will end up working less well than simple coil designs...

Complicated coils are vaping snobbism. Concentrate on doing a good wicking job instead: that'll yield much more satisfying results.

Vapor Fiend

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Psst... I'll let you in on a little secret: any plain old coil that's wrapped and wicked properly and doesn't have hot spots will work 99% as well as any fancy coil. Some fancy coils will get you that extra 1% - perhaps, if the extra vape quality is not just self-delusion - but will require a lot of time and effort to make, making the whole exercise pointless and counterproductive. Most fancy coils will end up working less well than simple coil designs...

Complicated coils are vaping snobbism. Concentrate on doing a good wicking job instead: that'll yield much more satisfying results.

Sorry for the long reply time. Went on vacation after posting this.

I guess it is basically a vertical coil. And it's easy to roll these and they aren't really fancy. The whole idea was that it was easier to mount them to posts given the fact that the leads just shoot out straight. But I guess it is a tad overkill really. I thought if it could be perfected and made easier it would be a success but it's really just a big pain in the ass. Someone can delete this thread if they like, or leave it up for educational purposes. Of which I couldn't tell you.

Otherwise, back to good old .3Ω dual micros ;)

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years

come on, i hope thats not how im looked at when i post coils. making coils are just fun nothing more, twisting up a beautiful wire and wrapping it is just as gratifying as vaping it for us that do this all the time. posting it or showing others is simply sharing, no snobbism coming from me or the builders i talk to

RyGon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So have we gone from overstating the effectiveness of these builds to understating them?

Last edited:

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

kinda harsh dont you think

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
come on, i hope thats not how im looked at when i post coils. making coils are just fun nothing more, twisting up a beautiful wire and wrapping it is just as gratifying as vaping it for us that do this all the time. posting it or showing others is simply sharing, no snobbism coming from me or the builders i talk to

Far from me to say all coil makers are snobs! If making complex coils is what you're into, more power to you :)

But you've got to admit complex coils don't perform 1000% better than ordinary wraps, or generate so much more flavor that you're about to orgasm, like many coil makers would have you believe in their Youtube videos. More often than not, complicated coil setups are like car tuning: it looks flashy, but it ain't much of a race car when you start the engine.

The snobbism bit is when newbies watch them videos and think "hmm, vaping is really a black art. I wonder if I can ever become an expert like this guy in the video" when in reality, rebuildables are pretty simple and don't require much expertise. I can't count the number of newbies who popped into my local vape store and said they were scared by how much there is to know to make a good coil, and that's pretty sad because scaring off newbies is not doing the vaping community a service.

But then again, I'm not lumping everybody in the same bag. If you've felt insulted, that was not my intention and I apologize

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i hear you, im not sure if i would even say "better" in an objective way, just a little different with each build. rips videos would have you believe differently i suppose lol its all good though, cheers

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I liked your video and it's an interesting coil which probably might have an application, although with that wire crossing the coil top it might be some work to wick it. Also, i liked when your camera fell because i almost had a heart attack. Guess i was too much in the room there on your table.

In general, i would agree that most fancy coils are more work than they're worth, and also that they're a fun diversion for when you get bored from making the same old coils. And some, like this one, probably have an application, being that the leads stick out in a different way than we usually see. This could be a good chimney-type coil, i dunno.

RyGon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Far from me to say all coil makers are snobs! If making complex coils is what you're into, more power to you :)

But you've got to admit complex coils don't perform 1000% better than ordinary wraps, or generate so much more flavor that you're about to orgasm, like many coil makers would have you believe in their Youtube videos. More often than not, complicated coil setups are like car tuning: it looks flashy, but it ain't much of a race car when you start the engine.

The snobbism bit is when newbies watch them videos and think "hmm, vaping is really a black art. I wonder if I can ever become an expert like this guy in the video" when in reality, rebuildables are pretty simple and don't require much expertise. I can't count the number of newbies who popped into my local vape store and said they were scared by how much there is to know to make a good coil, and that's pretty sad because scaring off newbies is not doing the vaping community a service.

But then again, I'm not lumping everybody in the same bag. If you've felt insulted, that was not my intention and I apologize
Sorry, I haven't finished my coffee so I'm grumpy but you specifically said "Complicated coils are vaping snobbism." Then here you say "Far from me to say all coil makers are snobs!" and redefine as "The snobbism bit is when newbies watch them videos and think "hmm, vaping is really a black art. I wonder if I can ever become an expert like this guy in the video" when in reality, rebuildables are pretty simple and don't require much expertise." What does that have to do with snobbery? Snobbery is basically thinking your better then someone else. I would say the best example in this thread is "Psst... I'll let you in on a little secret: any plain old coil that's wrapped and wicked properly and doesn't have hot spots will work 99% as well as any fancy coil. Some fancy coils will get you that extra 1% - perhaps, if the extra vape quality is not just self-delusion - but will require a lot of time and effort to make, making the whole exercise pointless and counterproductive." The OP made a video and asked specific questions and you basically just called him an idiot. I don't choose to build very complicated coils either but come on your in the coil building section of the forum.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Fancy coils are for show IMO. Look at the jigsaw coil.

c27d1b6a8342a12a97dcb9a449456640.jpg

There is no way you can tell me that coil works better than a basic micro coil. And how long do you think that took to make. I could wrap 20 micro coils in the time it probably took to make one of those.

I'm not knocking fancy coil builders. To each their own. It is just an evolution of the hobby. To see who make make the next (cough cough) "sick as tits" thing. Just like I see people adding LED lights to their attys now. Sorry not for me. I build my basic coil, wick it and get on with life. The closest thing I have come to anything fancy is a twisted wire coil. And I really didn't like the vape with it.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I agree , after making and testing seemingly countless types of coils i see no difference in vape quality than just building a good micro. I am also not convinced torching and compacting a coil tightly together provides a better vape than leaving more space between the coils .

I never saw an advantage to it but i can't speak for others.

RyGon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I agree , after making and testing seemingly countless types of coils i see no difference in vape quality than just building a good micro. I am also not convinced torching and compacting a coil tightly together provides a better vape than leaving more space between the coils .

The only reason I do different types of builds is to get the coils wicking well at the resistance I want and fitting well on the deck inline with the air holes. For instance my current build on my plume veil is, I think called infinite coils, I can get the whole coils in line with the cyclops shaped air holes while I have a shorter wicking distance on these 18 wrap coils to get around 1.3/1.4 resistance for a regulated mod. I have fun trying out different builds but I always go for pretty high resistance. Never have seen much difference other than maybe the dragon coil a while back and the stove top coil more recently. I really liked the stove top but I couldn't figure out how to get it to wick very well.
IMG_4017.jpg

BTW, I'm not feeling grumpy anymore. Sorry about my rant earlier.:eek:

Last edited:

Vapor Fiend

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
All valid points here. I wasn't really going for a "better" coil honestly though. I just saw the light-bulb and how the leads were connecting and thought to myself that it would be so much easier to attach coils to posts with the positioning you end up with for this coil.

I've all but abandoned this idea though because it really is just too much work to get it right. That and it's next to impossible to make two identical coils. I guess Jeremy above is right, maybe I got a little bored with regular ass micro coils lol. And jesus christ that "jigsaw" coil is ridiculous. Yeah I don't need anything that fancy.

Appreciate all the constructive criticism though buds, vape on.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here is a coil I copied off one of the Rip Tripper vid, had to try it because it was "AMAZING FLAVOR & SICK AS TITS!!"
20zwcbs.jpg

2a6758h.jpg

So yeah, while it looks cool pushing out loops of vapor, when I vaped it, the TH was too much, flavor was so-so and vapor production was no greater than what I could get just out of a plain vanilla microcoil. Resistance checked in around 1.3-1.4ohm if I remember correctly. I may have been able to go higher but the time and effort required to build this, just wasn't worth it for me. I probably spent more time firing it open to see the vapor effect than actually vaping it LOL

However, its nice to try different builds to see if you can get that perfect vape, but being able to build something very quickly is important too IMHO, at least for me it is.

mike-c

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey guy, I'm new to the forum and just had to register so I could comment to this thread. Lol

Anyway, I get what you're trying to do with this coil man. However, what you're ending up with is essentially the same thing as a dual parallel coil. The reason it keeps shorting out is the connected end that you slid into the rod. If you were to wrap the first wrap loose enough to clip that wire and stretch out those two leads enought to get them into your posts that should solve your shorting problems. Of course, I'm just guessing here.

chris.ardito.3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

View attachment 4873

There is no way you can tell me that coil works better than a basic micro coil. And how long do you think that took to make. I could wrap 20 micro coils in the time it probably took to make one of those.

I'm not knocking fancy coil builders. To each their own. It is just an evolution of the hobby. To see who make make the next (cough cough) "sick as tits" thing. Just like I see people adding LED lights to their attys now. Sorry not for me. I build my basic coil, wick it and get on with life. The closest thing I have come to anything fancy is a twisted wire coil. And I really didn't like the vape with it.
I would love to see a vid build on this coil.
Looks amazing but probably it's hard as he'll to build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GargoyleK1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
my coils are round…. they look like barrels when I am done…

Thats all I know..

Dutzy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nice video. Keep thinking outside the box. Fuck the naysayers. Without folks like you trying shit like this, we vapers wouldn't be where we are today. Just a coil? Maybe. Take the time work on it. Thanks.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Its funny that this issue came up because I had gotten my first 5 post RDA the IGO-W6 and I have a Cats coming in so I went and made 4 twisted vertical
coils with 26g it looked beautiful put the juice on it I like to run no lower than .3ohm but as of late I am even going higher.. anyway this was just to see what what performance I would oohhhh my god it was awesome for cloud blowing no taste left with several juices then I picked up my TOBH Atty I just built with regular 28g no twists same ohmage better flavor didnt suck juice down so I think its neat to mess around and have fun with it but I as of yet to see any benefit at all to twisted coil... or vertical coils ... its funny I used some 26g tor rebuild my magma at .8 and you know what I enjoyed the flavor the ease of making coils more than anything... cool designs are neat for show :)

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I use 4 basic coils: The Dragon Nano Coil, the standard Micro Coil, Twisted 28 Gauge Micro Coil, and vertical (chimney) micro coil.

I've made some of the more exotic coils, but to me the standard Micro coil (or Macro coil if you use a bigger bit) is simple and produces super flavor.

Joshua Parnell

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Your coil has given me an inspiration for another coil... I'm gonna work on it the next couple days, see where I get with it it.

VIDEO:

I think I may have stumbled on to a new way of rolling coils. Well a certain type of coil. But I'm not sure if this has been done yet or not or if it'll even work. I messed with it a lot and got minuscule results, but I'm not the best at messing around with coils.

So I made a video of how I roll them, what they are, etc. In the hopes that maybe some of the more seasoned guys out there can improve on this and make it work.

The main issues are repeatability and determining how many wraps to achieve a repeated resistance basically. And then once you get them on posts, they're kind of difficult to maneuver and form. I probably should have called this coil "The Headache".

Anyways, check the video out, maybe try it if you have the capability and let me know what you think.

Below are some pictures:

View attachment 4293

And this is one where instead of wrapping both wires down, one lead wen above the slot and one went below. Kind of hard to explain, but this coil might also work as a single wired dual coil, that would make quad coil setups a hell of a lot easier. I haven't tested this yet though.
View attachment 4294

Well, I really liked your video.. you're so... eeyore in it. lol. But seriously, I feel your pain. I've been looking at all kinds of things trying to figure out some kind of cool coil to build just for show.. for the hell of it. Here's what I think is wrong with your coil: Wire gauge too small, trying too hard to compress the coils. I think you're onto something when you say you have to give the bridge a little tug to put some air between the wires. Try this: Get a bigger keyway slotter, cut a bigger slot on the other end of your dowel. re-wrap again using 24.ga. Take it off and while holding the leads in the proper position with a pliers to line the coils up as best you can, blue-hot them with a torch, pinch lightly with tweezers, dry fire, rinse repeat until you get the burn you want. it's because what you have is like 2 springs pressed onto each other, they will slide like oil on water, but if you anchor the leads and harden your wire, you should be able to get your shape to hold until you screw it in.. A couple things I learned while building.. if your mod says no atomizer or atomizer low like it's shorted, take the rda off the mod and put it back on. if you have an ohm window, watch it to see if it detects the plate.. three times that happened to me today.. thought I had a short and re-seated the rda just to check and I was stellar.

View attachment 4873

It works better than a basic micro coil. As a matter of fact, it works better than any coil I've ever made or used. I know a guy who reproduced this and it looks just as good, the hit is amazing, flavor is pretty good too. It goes through some juice, tho. Dripping like every other big vape. So, I'm seeing a lot of people in here talking about more and more and more ohms. "I like to run .3 or higher" wtf?! More resistance means slower current means less heat means less enjoyment. You need to be going the other directoin.. less ohms equals less power consumption, faster ramp-up (which means faster cooldown, afterburning less liquid, creating less carmelization. If you build a .18 set and it hits too hard at 80 watts.... TURN IT DOWN, DUH!! I built a dual stovetop coil sleeper last night off of 'sick as tits' video, and while it's a cool build, looks cool (like princess leia and her hair buns) it does not function as well as it looks. It's really impressive, shooting rails of vapor out of the central hole (on both sides if you're using duals like me) like vapor out of a dragon's nose but when you actually VAPE it, it heats up too quick, scorching the cotton. It doesn't pull juice up from the well on the wick because it's too fat a wad behind the plate and lastly since it's put in vertically, and the cotton is wicked on the backside of the coil, it seemed to be counterefficient. The coil is efficient but how it draws and processes the liquid is not, resulting in frequent dripping. So, what I did was I took the coils and turned them down so that the flat part or the 'top side' of the coil is aimed directly at the bottom of the well and is positioned near to it. Both coils on either side positioned this way, I a stip of cotton bacon under the stove coil and filled the well, and then wrapped it up and over the negative lead and through the posts to the other side, under that plate and up and over the opposite side's negative post and back through the other set of posts, tuck in next to the original starting point. Add incidental cotton to any areas that look to be covered weakly and fill with juice. It works much better this way. The vape is slightly reduced, due to the extra cotton and more path for the air to follow, but the flavor was twice as good and I could get a good 4 or 5 big vapes in before I had to re-drip. POINT ONE EIGHT OHMS, PEOPLE. Instant ramp-up, 2 second draws give 5 second clouds with 10 second flavor. give it a shot. These are not hard to wrap. I did it with a small pair of regular pliers and my fingers.

It has to do with the wire and the type of wrap you're trying to do. If you want a quick ramp, low ohm cloud generator, fine, be lazy, take 30 gauge wire and wrap it around another piece of wire and use the smallest piece of cotton you can and see if you can get your eyes to allow you to thread that needle. Mine don't work well enough even with glasses so... I have to be more bulky. I like the idea of holding more juice and blowing bigger clouds anyway.. flavor is also important. I don't understand the nano coils and the micro coils. I used to think when you crimp your loops together and make a barrel, that was micro-coiling. Nano coiling was these microscopic loops and a couple fibers of cotton and a single drop of juice... I don't understand why people would want to minimize, consume so much power, have such a slow ramp up and cooldown, waste juice for that while not vaping.. I just don't get it. Macro coils imho are the way to go. Take 3 big ass loops and stuff 'em full of cotton and run it down into the well. Done deal. I use standard barrel rolls with 24 kanthal. I bought some premade claptons and cut kanthal and all the bumpy twisty wire and they all perform about the same on about the same gauge of wire, no matter how fancy it was. Flat Clapton seems to perform the best for me on my device. Although, with some 23 ga. cut Kanthal, 6 turns each coil, ohms out a .22 (perfect, imho) clouds the room, fills my mouth with flavor and gives me a warning hit when it's time to re-drip. By the way, that stovetop coil pissed me off by how hot it would feel after a 2 second rip (both in the mouth and near it) so much that in less than 12 hours I was already looking to change it. I was jacking with the coils, poking them, pushing them, doing a little fire test.. I love how the coils ramp up INSTANTLY, but in my confused, distracted testing, I created an ice cream cone of fire. :( Most unpleasant. No more troubles after the redo on that one but it's still a hit-and miss performance. I'm sure they have a great purpose but I'm not sure what that is just yet.

Its all about preference and perspective....
No, it's about science. The end result is either accepted or rejected by your perspective and/or preference. With math and science I can quickly and easily prove what coil size/ohm to volt/watt will make the perfect vape combination for that setup. I will tell you exactly what wattage or voltage to set your device at so you will consume the optimum amount of juice for your hit, no more, no less. you will need to send me a picture of the exact setup you will be using, let me calculate based off of your batteries, your rda, your mod and your coil and If I'm wrong I'll eat a pair of shorts. Now, if you don't like the vape or it's to harsh or there's too much vapor or any other baby-ass whining, I can't fix that for you.. that should have been taken care of when you were a little kid. :) But the science will be solid, your build will be pushing as much as it can possibly push without being unsafe in any way. Want to give me a shot? Let me tell you what I've got so far:
Generic Mod box, two full size batteries, analog - istick 100w, retired - Hells Gate 200w Touchscreen, retired - Relieaux RX200 current mod
two Rubiks Cube, one Twisted Vortex 4ml, one black flavour savor, Freakshow, stillaire v3, vortex 4 hole twister, dark horse, cloud mutilator and some others. 9 batteries and 2 chargers, 2 gallons of vg/pg base premixes in a rainbow of flavors (cutting down on steep times) and the builds are all big clapton, chunky monkey, cut kanthal, twisted kanthal and some shit that looks like guitar string. I always stay around the same gauge when I can and maybe that is why my builds are so consistent. My highest ohm is a .54, the lowest a .18 and most of the rest sitting in the .20's somewhere. Hope that helps.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No, it's about science. The end result is either accepted or rejected by your perspective and/or preference. With math and science I can quickly and easily prove what coil size/ohm to volt/watt will make the perfect vape combination for that setup. I will tell you exactly what wattage or voltage to set your device at so you will consume the optimum amount of juice for your hit, no more, no less. you will need to send me a picture of the exact setup you will be using, let me calculate based off of your batteries, your rda, your mod and your coil and If I'm wrong I'll eat a pair of shorts. Now, if you don't like the vape or it's to harsh or there's too much vapor or any other baby-ass whining, I can't fix that for you.. that should have been taken care of when you were a little kid. :) But the science will be solid, your build will be pushing as much as it can possibly push without being unsafe in any way. Want to give me a shot? Let me tell you what I've got so far:
Generic Mod box, two full size batteries, analog - istick 100w, retired - Hells Gate 200w Touchscreen, retired - Relieaux RX200 current mod
two Rubiks Cube, one Twisted Vortex 4ml, one black flavour savor, Freakshow, stillaire v3, vortex 4 hole twister, dark horse, cloud mutilator and some others. 9 batteries and 2 chargers, 2 gallons of vg/pg base premixes in a rainbow of flavors (cutting down on steep times) and the builds are all big clapton, chunky monkey, cut kanthal, twisted kanthal and some shit that looks like guitar string. I always stay around the same gauge when I can and maybe that is why my builds are so consistent. My highest ohm is a .54, the lowest a .18 and most of the rest sitting in the .20's somewhere. Hope that helps.
I think your talking to the wrong person @raymo2u

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/coil-wars.263385/#post-1337702

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/raymo2us-build-thread.170873/

Last edited:
VIDEO:

Below are some pictures:

View attachment 4293

View attachment 4294
Still have the bid of how you rolled this

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years

It's an art form, that does seem to bread snob ish behavior. Imo. The best coil I use is a regular 26 g. Twisted kenthal coil. Better than any Clapton I've bought. Better than . The flavor of superb.

26g twisted micro coils 11 wraps .35-4 every time.

Some of those double helix vertabraids... I just don't see those being functional.

Wicking is 2nd to none. You get a good feel, and only after practice practice.

I like looking at coil porn, and I like practicing, but I would way rather perfect functional coil builds.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors