Become a Patron!

New crossover. Outlander or Outback 2.5 Limited?

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Going to look at a 2016 Outlander tomorrow at the dealership. Anyone own one or have experience with them?

Also considering an Outback Limited.

This is a replacement vehicle for my wife's Hummer. She likes the H3 but we think it's time to buy something new. Both models are 4 wheel drive, and the Outlander is the GT model I believe(or whatever their higher end model is). Seems the Outlander is optioned out too.

Dollar for dollar, they seem comparable in price. Outlander looks bigger, and roomier from photos. Never owned a Subaru OR a Mitsubishi before.

Advice is appreciated.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Outlander, or if you feel sporty, a WRX (all time 4wd) and FAST.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Bought the outlander a week ago.

Not regretting it either.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Subaru. #1 in resale value for a reason.

If you like the Mit, buy used.
Check some resale prices of older 4runner models 175k on them. I have a limited. Love it.

Glad you like your Subaru. We almost went that route but wanted something larger.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've never had one; I want one though...
I love Toyotas too but they weren't a part of the OP's question.
I know. I wasn't hijacking. Maybe he didn't know about them or never researched them. I researched both and have pros and cons for each.

On flavor threads I learn about flavors I never heard of that the OP didn't ask about. Just giving information. Done deal. Congrats to the OP.

Last edited:

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Looked at all kinds of vehicles.

Her requirements were pretty high (options) and she wanted spanking new. NOT used (aka other people's problems). She also wanted something 30-40K.

She got 4x4, leather, remote start, 20+ MPG, and "luxury" options. For 37K she got a completely loaded Outlander, and it fit everything she asked for. It drives excellent, is whisper quiet inside, and has a comfortable ride. Handles very well. She doesn't want something that drives like a race car. She wants something powerful, yet able to handle shit weather and snow.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, I don't get that mpg but can handle all that stuff. More cost too. Mine is new. My wife also does not like used. That was just an example for resale.

Glad she enjoys it.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Well, I don't get that mpg but can handle all that stuff. More cost too. Mine is new. My wife also does not like used. That was just an example for resale.

Glad she enjoys it.
What doncha get? She wanted a vehicle that got 20+MPG. The outlander gets 25. More than her H3 at 21 MPG.

With the options she wanted (like heated leather seats) anything you look at is the high end model. Besides, she likes having a show-y vehicle. Me, I'm a simple new, 4x4, 3/4 ton truck. She like something loaded and "looks cool". She would have liked an Escalade, but not the payments.

Resale isn't something we are terribly concerned with. We will keep buying new every few years. We will keep trading in at 50-70K miles.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We probably get 19 mpg but she keeps her foot in it. I also have a 4x4 truck but would not trade her car for anything without heated and cooled seats. My truck has 6400 miles and is 1.5 years old. We don't drive many miles so trading soon not an option. The last one was 6 years old with 60k.

Last edited:

Toronnah

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Neither JD Powers nor Consumer Reports think highly of Mitsubishi quality. But then again, the difference between the top and bottom of the JD Powers survey is a couple of issues per 100 cars.

That and the worst cars of today still have better quality than the best cars of 30 years ago.

You would probably be fine with either choice.

VU Sponsors