Become a Patron!

New custom firmware for the RX200S!!!!!!! (and RX2/3 now)

BPROSEK

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Never heard of it before, ap[pears to be related to NFE, which is a branch of this firmware. How is it
? I'll check it out.
It seems pretty cool, it's built 170201, had pretty much all the same features as you listed above. I haven't really gone crazy in playing with the settings though. I set the battery for vtc4, and am really enjoying the different preheat settings.

One thing I did notice is that when watching my board temp it does get fairly high quickly. Is it ok that the board temp is reaching 50-60 degrees C?

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
TLDR (Yet) ... Looks like I need to start reading through this thread from the beginning, it seems I'm really missing out on some key updates to some of my gear!

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Looks like I need to start reading through this thread from the beginning, it seems I'm really missing out on some key updates to some of my gear!

Allo! Where you been hiding? You are going to find that this firmware is so good, it will make you love your mods again. Funny story. A friend of mine that I got off the stinkys bought a RX2/3. He is a barbarian, and destroys almost everything he owns. I was expecting a call from within a week or 2 of him buying it, saying that it was no longer functioning due to being dropped, thrown, left on the roof of his truck, or disassembled in one of his fits of curiosity.

Usually his victims arrive in pieces in zip lock bags, or boxes of parts in the bed of his pickup for larger mechanical items. Unless the item IS the pickup, in which case it usually means a house call.

I was pleasantly surprised after a month went by with no death notification for the RX. This is a reliable indicator, that something is really important to him.

Last week, the call came, followed by the delivery of the inevitable ziplock baggie, containing the various bits and pieces of the RX.

It looked like it had a few falls off the truck roof at speed, but all the parts were all there. I think what happened is that he entered stealth mode by accident, got frustrated, and tore it apart.

After repairing it, I put this firmware on it, not that he will use any of the features, he barely is able to operate a mod in watts mode (did I mention he is a barbarian?)

Part of my rationale for swapping firmware, was to display the clock when in vaping mode, so that there would be less on the display, meaning less for him to be temp-ted to fiddle with.

Then, inspiration. I set the screen saver to "Snow", and when I returned it, told him I'd modified it so that he could watch the wireless feed from his dashcam, (repaired the dashcam 2 weeks ago), he just had to wait for five minutes after his last vape.

I was waiting for the call that night, but it never came. Oh well I thought, perhaps I finally have discovered the boundarys of his technical ignorance, and gullibility.

Not quite. He told me after being up all night, trying to find the sweet spot for reception on his mod,(which I explained was a one time "pairing" thing) and then moving closer to his truck, parked in his driveway (-20C out that night), he found himself late for work the next morning, and the 2/3 was propelled at a velocity only a true Neanderthal can generate against the wall of his garage. Result!

I could barely speak, I was laughing so hard when he brought the obligatory ziplock with the RX over.. Mixed in the same baggie were the remains of the dashcam, which he explained, had suffered the same fate, after he realized that he might have killed his mod due to a fault in the dashcam.

The RX at least was fixable. The dashcam, not so much. The only challenge repairing the 2/3 was the battery cover release. I dremeled a new one out of some cast aluminum which I had saved from the chassis of a laptop (one of his previous victims) I thought it appropriate. :xD:

Wisemec really knows how to build them.

BPROSEK

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Allo! Where you been hiding? You are going to find that this firmware is so good, it will make you love your mods again. Funny story. A friend of mine that I got off the stinkys bought a RX2/3. He is a barbarian, and destroys almost everything he owns. I was expecting a call from within a week or 2 of him buying it, saying that it was no longer functioning due to being dropped, thrown, left on the roof of his truck, or disassembled in one of his fits of curiosity.

Usually his victims arrive in pieces in zip lock bags, or boxes of parts in the bed of his pickup for larger mechanical items. Unless the item IS the pickup, in which case it usually means a house call.

I was pleasantly surprised after a month went by with no death notification for the RX. This is a reliable indicator, that something is really important to him.

Last week, the call came, followed by the delivery of the inevitable ziplock baggie, containing the various bits and pieces of the RX.

It looked like it had a few falls off the truck roof at speed, but all the parts were all there. I think what happened is that he entered stealth mode by accident, got frustrated, and tore it apart.

After repairing it, I put this firmware on it, not that he will use any of the features, he barely is able to operate a mod in watts mode (did I mention he is a barbarian?)

Part of my rationale for swapping firmware, was to display the clock when in vaping mode, so that there would be less on the display, meaning less for him to be temp-ted to fiddle with.

Then, inspiration. I set the screen saver to "Snow", and when I returned it, told him I'd modified it so that he could watch the wireless feed from his dashcam, (repaired the dashcam 2 weeks ago), he just had to wait for five minutes after his last vape.

I was waiting for the call that night, but it never came. Oh well I thought, perhaps I finally have discovered the boundarys of his technical ignorance, and gullibility.

Not quite. He told me after being up all night, trying to find the sweet spot for reception on his mod,(which I explained was a one time "pairing" thing) and then moving closer to his truck, parked in his driveway (-20C out that night), he found himself late for work the next morning, and the 2/3 was propelled at a velocity only a true Neanderthal can generate against the wall of his garage. Result!

I could barely speak, I was laughing so hard when he brought the obligatory ziplock with the RX over.. Mixed in the same baggie were the remains of the dashcam, which he explained, had suffered the same fate, after he realized that he might have killed his mod due to a fault in the dashcam.

The RX at least was fixable. The dashcam, not so much. The only challenge repairing the 2/3 was the battery cover release. I dremeled a new one out of some cast aluminum which I had saved from the chassis of a laptop (one of his previous victims) I thought it appropriate. :xD:

So you do repairs? What are your thoughts on upgrading the wiring? Is that something you do? How much would it cost?

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

that is some funny shit man :)

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media

Hey @OneBadWolf ! I've had a LOT of personal stuff going on since the middle of last year and just haven't been doing much online. I see you have stayed busy though. :D Gotta say I love the saga of your friend the barbarian, that is awesome.

I haven't actually had a chance to read through everything yet, but I *think* the cliff note version is download the firmware from the first page, and then (Windows Instructions) use NFE to upload firmware to the mod? Have I missed anything?

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So you do repairs? What are your thoughts on upgrading the wiring? Is that something you do? How much would it cost?

If you are nearby, I'll do it for free. I upgraded the wiring on my RX, but have not touched the RXS. I don't really notice any difference. It is not a big job, if you can solder, piece of cake. If you can't solder, learn. watch some YouTube. Tore apart my most hated mod today, the Hohmtech Slice. I ordered black, received a mod painted a puky shade of international orange.

I have to hand it to Hohmtech, the mod is the easiest to take apart I've ever seen. 2 bolts. That is it. Its flat black now, huge improvement.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
he cliff note version is download the firmware from the first page, and then (Windows Instructions) use NFE to upload firmware to the mod?

Close. Download the bin, and use NFE if you want, or use the Wismec V4.13 updater, and direct it to the bin file. Simples.

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
Close. Download the bin, and use NFE if you want, or use the Wismec V4.13 updater, and direct it to the bin file. Simples.
Yeah, I did skip the part of pointing it at the firmware, but I knew it was necessary. Did the upgrade on my trusty VTC Mini, and thought I effed it up. Sometime quite a while back I added a custom logo into the mini, I don't even remember what tool I used to do it anymore, but anyway, after doing the firmware upgrade, the custom logo was still there and I was sure the update didn't take. I must have updated the mod with 4 different firmwares (it was really out of date) before I figured out that logo and firmware were not in the same memory/storage space on the chip. Just updating the firmware does not overwrite a custom logo. Once I got that figured out, game on! Now I just have to figure out how to copy the custom logo down to disk, and either replace it or turn it off.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Now I just have to figure out how to copy the custom logo down to disk, and either replace it or turn it off.

NFE is the right tool for saving your logo. You can use almost any photo, and convert it to a logo as well. The photo must be of the required res for your device, and in 2 colors. (black and white).

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
I can easily create/add a new logo, but can't find the option in NFE to pull the existing logo from the mod. This is the logo that I really want to save, as I lost the original image file in a HDD/laptop disaster. I will continue to play around with it as I have time, there has to be a way to do it.

BPROSEK

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If you are nearby, I'll do it for free. I upgraded the wiring on my RX, but have not touched the RXS. I don't really notice any difference. It is not a big job, if you can solder, piece of cake. If you can't solder, learn. watch some YouTube. Tore apart my most hated mod today, the Hohmtech Slice. I ordered black, received a mod painted a puky shade of international orange.

I have to hand it to Hohmtech, the mod is the easiest to take apart I've ever seen. 2 bolts. That is it. Its flat black now, huge improvement.
Shoots, I live in Oahu so nothing is close by except for a lot of ocean!

If you're not worried about the wiring I'll take that as a good expert opinion and not bother with upgrading it. I was just concerned with the board temp as I try to be very conscious about battery safety...I like my face and hands and want to keep em lol.

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
Shoots, I live in Oahu so nothing is close by except for a lot of ocean!

If you're not worried about the wiring I'll take that as a good expert opinion and not bother with upgrading it. I was just concerned with the board temp as I try to be very conscious about battery safety...I like my face and hands and want to keep em lol.
That seems like a good strategy!

Cassiopia

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Can you please tell me hi to get this screen up with the different options on as I have updated my firmware but have no idea how to get into settings and although I display changed screens on it I cannot for the life of me figure out either how to do the clock and what buttons to press to being the options menu up. Many thanks xx Cassie

Cassiopia

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Firmware easily installed on my RX200S using the Wismec updater software.
Yes, there are a lot more menu options and settings, but so far it's working great!
How do you get into the menu options pleas I have tried the fire button and right button together and no matter what I try I cannot access the menu or the clock!!!

Cassiopia

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If I did that, I'd lose:

Main Screen
  • Double-click:

A double fire click switches between standard view and clock screen.
    The clock screen is close to the one viewed on the VTwo box; just better, imo.
    See below the Clock menu to know how to configure clock.

• Third info line:

The third info line of the main screen, used to display amps, puffs or time counters now have a few more options:
    • Atomizer voltage
    • Battery voltage
    • Board temperature
    • Real-time clock
    • Real-time atomizer resistance
    • Estimate of vape velocity in ml or ml/day (experimental)

Menus:
Holding Fire and Right (+) buttons 1/5th of a second enters menus.

• At any time, you may press simultaneously Fire and Right buttons to get out of the menus and return to the main screen.
  • When navigating in sub-menus, you may press simultaneously Left and Right buttons to return to the parent (upper level) menu.

Main menu screen
If you continue holding Fire and Right (+) buttons after entering menus, after two seconds, you'll enter the Profile selection screen (see the Profile section for more informations about configuration profiles).

• Screen

Screen management menu:
    • Contrast:

Default VTC contrast is around 17%. This screen gives you access to the full contrast range of the display.

• Protection:

Configure main screen dim timeout and screen saver timing. After the time setup with the "Main" option, (default 30 seconds) of inactivity, the main screen switches to the screen saver animation (see below) for the duration configured with the "Saver" option, after what the box shuts down.
      If the "Saver" item is set to "Off", the box will dim after "Main" second, then switch to a black screen for 3 minutes before being shut down.

• Saver:

Select the screen saver animation. You may choose between None (blank screen), the clock (analog or digital depending on the Clock menu setting), 3D spinning objects, the logo, a Qix-like animation, or the snow screen. More to come. Content of this menu will vary from time to time; this document may not always be up to date. Have a look.
      When the 3D screen saver is active, the + and - buttons change the animated object.
      About the snow screen saver: choose this screen saver if your box experiment burnt pixels; it's a common issue on boxes a few months to a year old, and this screen may help restore the pixels. Se also the Invert option that may serve the same purpose.

• Logo

The Logo submenu is used to toggle display of the custom logo On of Off, and to choose where to display it. Logo may be displayed on the top of the screen (in place of the power/temp setting zone) or in the middle of the screen in place of the two first information lines.

• Invert

Toggle display mode between white on black and black on white.
      Beyond the fact you may find this option fancy and cool-looking, it may have its usefulness if your box experiment burnt pixels on the always-white zones. You may use this option in combination with the snow screen saver to restore the quality of your display (see the snow screen saver above in the Screen>Saver submenu section).

• Miscs
      Sub-menu
      • Game

Flappy bird. Guenuine menu.

• Led

eGrip II / eVic AIO LED Color setting.

• 3D

Cool 3D spinning shapes.
        Come back to this menu and set it to "None" to cancel animation.
        Or reset the box.
Please please can you tell me how to get into the menu screen as I have updated firmware and have set screen logo bunt no matter what I do or buttons I press I simply cannot get onto the menu I've tried holding the right and fire button but no thing in do is working and it is really starting to grate on
My last nerve right now! Many thanks xx Cassie

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
How do you get into the menu options pleas I have tried the fire button and right button together and no matter what I try I cannot access the menu or the clock!!!
Holding Fire and Right (+) buttons 1/5th of a second enters menus. Try to press the (+) button first and then the fire button, preferably both at the exact same time.

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
Please please can you tell me how to get into the menu screen as I have updated firmware and have set screen logo bunt no matter what I do or buttons I press I simply cannot get onto the menu I've tried holding the right and fire button but no thing in do is working and it is really starting to grate on
My last nerve right now! Many thanks xx Cassie
Hey Cassie, did you figure it out yet? It should be pretty straight forward to get to the menus. What mod did you do the upgrade on?
Holding Fire and Right (+) buttons 1/5th of a second enters menus. Try to press the (+) button first and then the fire button, preferably both at the exact same time.
This should do it. If it isn't working with the right button, try the left one. It should work fine. I had no problem at all getting mine to work.

Which firmware did you use, the Arctic Fox, or the MyEvic version? The Arctic Fox version is NOT a quick as the MyEvic version, you actually have to hold the plus button and the fire button for at least a second or more on the Arctic Fox version. The MyEvic version is almost instantaneous when you hit the plus and fire buttons.

HTH!

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

How is it working out? A possibility is that you did not point the upgrading software to the unzipped myevic.bin file you downloaded, and just re-installed the 4.13 Joyetech firmware.

The custom firmware is pretty safe, so if for some reason you run into a problem, you can revert back to it.

Let us know!

BTW, welcome to VU!

Cassiopia

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have been told since that the RX200S doesn't have a menu feature unlike its more expensive brother I don't know if this is true or not? I have tried pressing the buttons as advised and just no menu option whatsoever!!

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have been told since that the RX200S doesn't have a menu feature unlike its more expensive brother I don't know if this is true or not? I have tried pressing the buttons as advised and just no menu option whatsoever!!
Can you take a picture of the screen on pls

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
I would try reflashing with the ArcticFox or MyEvic firmware one more time. It should have a menu system and it should be easy to get to. Here is a video showing how to access it, and in the text there is a link to an updated video that shows how to use the actual ArcticFox Toolbox.

Cassiopia

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is the screen, I customised it but that's all I could do there is no other option for anything else !

Cassiopia

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just a clip to show you that no matter how I press the buttons it doesn't give me the option to change anything like clock or any other functions

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
I have upgraded 3 mods so far, but not my RX200S. All of them behaved exactly as expected. I will do the RX200S tonight and see if there are any obvious quirks. I'll let you know what I figure out from mine.

Cassiopia

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Brilliant thank you Phantom.... I know it's a if ask but could you please tell me what I need to do with the software once I've downloaded it onto my laptop also please as I don't know how to access it!

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Quick Installation Steps for ArcticFox Firmware --- Wismec RX200S E-Cig MOD

Wismec RX200S Latest Firmware
http://www.wismec.com/software/wismec-tc-software-for-upgrading-reuleaux-rx200s/

ArcticFox Latest Firmware
1) Download the NFE Toolbox and ArticFox applications
http://nfeteam.org/

https://github.com/TBXin/NFirmwareEditor/releases/download/6.5/NFirmwareEditor-v6.5.0.zip
https://github.com/maelstrom2001/ArcticFox/releases/download/170201/af_170201.bin

2) Extract the ZIP archive to access the NFE Toolbox software

3) Execute the program NToolbox.exe
upload_2017-3-7_18-32-24.png

4) Click on the button "Firmware Updater"
upload_2017-3-7_18-33-5.png

5) Connect your e-cig device (RX200S) to your micro-usb cable that is connected to your PC.
upload_2017-3-7_18-33-41.png

6) Under the [Common] tab, click the button [Update from file]
upload_2017-3-7_18-34-10.png

7) Locate the af_170201.bin file that you previously downloaded. Once you select this file, and press the [Open] button, it will immediately read/write the flash firmware on your e-cig device.
upload_2017-3-7_18-35-3.png

upload_2017-3-7_18-35-54.png

8) You can now press the [Cancel] button to exit this screen.

9) Now press the [ArcticFox Configuration] button on the main screen. This will take you into the profile configuration screen, which will allow you to customize the profile settings on your device.
upload_2017-3-7_18-37-13.png

upload_2017-3-7_18-37-54.png

Device Navigation
[FIRE] = Top Button
(-) = Lower Left Button
(+) = Lower Right Button

upload_2017-3-7_18-52-0.png

ArcticFox Device Profiles
*The below device profiles have the basic configurations for POWER and TC modes. I have included the TCR values for wires provided by steam-engine.com

Last edited:

Cassiopia

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Wow! Thank you phantom I will sit down and go through this in the morning as I'm getting so frustrated I am starting to lose the plot and the will to live! I will get all this info back up in morong and follow the steps! Thank you for taking the time to help a dumb arse like myself!

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Wow! Thank you phantom I will sit down and go through this in the morning as I'm getting so frustrated I am starting to lose the plot and the will to live! I will get all this info back up in morong and follow the steps! Thank you for taking the time to help a dumb arse like myself!
OK, Screenshot pictures are now uploaded.
I'm going to work on a custom profile configuration file as well. It will end up matching my DNA250 MOD configuration. It has all the settings for temperature control (TC) of a lot of different wire types.

Last edited:

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
I'm going to work on a custom profile configuration file as well. It will end up matching my DNA250 MOD configuration. It has all the settings for temperature control (TC) of a lot of different wire types.
@PhantomOp, you ROCK!
@Cassiopia I just got home from work and see that Phantom has really helped out a LOT more than I could from work. I did want to let you know, I just updated my RX200S with the MyEvic firmware and it is working like a champ. I'll try the ArcticFox version after dinner, but I don't expect any issues with it either. I hope you get yours up and running soon!

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Running some Dual Clapton SS316L coils in TC mode with the ArcticFox software... meh --- Seems the default TCR values may be a bit off (compared to my DNA250 MOD). I'll get the Steam-Engine TCR values imported and tested while I'm building out the profiles.

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
Running some Dual Clapton SS316L coils in TC mode with the ArcticFox software... meh --- Seems the default TCR values may be a bit off (compared to my DNA250 MOD). I'll get the Steam-Engine TCR values imported and tested while I'm building out the profiles.
Not really a fair comparison, as much as I like the Wismec/Joyetech firmwares, they don't really compare against the much more expensive and adjustable Evolv chipset. For the money though, they are an EXCEPTIONAL value for the consistent performance.

Cassiopia

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you Phantom! I saw the text and did it off that as the pics had not loaded at that point, was a mix of fluke and yours and DevAuto support that enabled me to do it!

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
Thank you Phantom! I saw the text and did it off that as the pics had not loaded at that point, was a mix of fluke and yours and DevAuto support that enabled me to do it!
YAY! Glad you got it working! I'll watch for your thoughts on it later. The one annoying thing for me is setting the date and time every time I change the batteries, but I can live with that. :)

You can use the same DNA TCR files in ArcticFox. I use custom SS316L profile and it works the same way as on my DNA devices.

Last edited:

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ArcticFox Device Profiles
*The below device profiles have the basic configurations for POWER and TC modes. I have included the TCR values for wires provided by steam-engine.com
Wismec RX200S

You can use the same DNA TCR files in ArcticFox. I use custom SS316L profile and it works the same way as on my DNA devices.

Yup -- Should now be included in the device profile that I provided in the instructions.

Cassiopia

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I cannot change the time and make it stay the right time and date. I would like to remove it from the screen but unsure how to!

VU Sponsors