Become a Patron!

New here and hello everyone!!

Hellp everyone I'm new to the world of vaping not so much for myself but for my wife. I really made this account here to seek out some helpful information for my wife's vaping needs. I more or less have quit smoking all together about 9 months ago. But again I created this account to help find a suitable refillable vape for my wife since a lot of the vapes out there choke her out because they are to strong. Hopefully I can find some helpful items in my quest to save us some money because spending $22 every 2 days on a disposable vape is becoming rather hard on our wallets (specifically mine) lol. I'd rather spend that money on something that is rechargeable, refillable, and not super strong but can be tuned in to her intake liking.

Thanks all and hope to hear back from you guys/girls.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Hi and welcome to the forum
I would suggest going to a vape shop and let her see and maybe try out what device that would be best for her, there are so many pod devices out on the market. Also a place to buy eliquids- since all ecig products are banned for shipping by USPS,UPS, Fed Ex.
I don't DIY my juice but many do that here on the forum
:wave:

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Hi Dew, welcome to VU! Good on you for quitting cigarettes, and for helping your wife with her transition to vaping.

I think @SnapDragon NY has given a good suggestion, considering the state of the online marketplace and the new-ish laws that are in effect now.

Smok makes a few small devices that are worth trying; namely, the Alike AIO (All In One) or Fetch AIO, and the Nord or RPM-series pod mods. There are several different types of coils for each of those devices, and the coils will make a big difference in how "strong" the vape is. Look for coils that recommend a wattage level of 20W or below - perhaps even as low as 12 to 14W. Get the staff at the store to explain to you/her how to set the wattage on the device to match up and work well with the coils she's chosen to use. They will also need to explain how to prime a coil so that it doesn't burn up when heat is applied to it.

All of those devices are rechargeable, refillable, and the coils of course are replaceable. There is an RPM pod mod that uses a replaceable 18650 battery, but then some of the RPM models have built-in batteries. You just have to get the store folks to explain which are which, and whether you need to buy an external battery.

And of course with any of these devices, she'll need to choose at least one e-liquid flavor - it will save money to buy small bottles of e-liquid until she finds a flavor or two that she really likes. Depending on where you live, there may be some restrictions on the types of flavors available for purchase. I think some areas are restricted to just tobacco flavors, and some to just tobacco and menthol. And one more thing - for vaping at 12 to 20 watts, a responsible nicotine level is no higher than 18 mg/ml freebase nicotine (called freebase if the nicotine is not salts), and lower than 18 will be "smoother" with less throat hit, or perhaps 24 mg/ml nicotine salts in a base of 50% PG and 50% VG, or as close to this as the store carries.

Hope this helps, and good luck to you both! Feel free to ask questions here as you need to!

Last edited:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Hellp everyone I'm new to the world of vaping not so much for myself but for my wife. I really made this account here to seek out some helpful information for my wife's vaping needs. I more or less have quit smoking all together about 9 months ago. But again I created this account to help find a suitable refillable vape for my wife since a lot of the vapes out there choke her out because they are to strong. Hopefully I can find some helpful items in my quest to save us some money because spending $22 every 2 days on a disposable vape is becoming rather hard on our wallets (specifically mine) lol. I'd rather spend that money on something that is rechargeable, refillable, and not super strong but can be tuned in to her intake liking.

Thanks all and hope to hear back from you guys/girls.

Hi :wave: Welcome to the forum.
All of this greatly depends on where you live.
Some states have gotten super strict where as others haven't yet.
If for some reason your wife prefers disposable vapes or you need some just in case they can be found much cheaper online.
Since the government is on it's way to all out banning them you will find them rather inexpensive at some websites that still have them in stock.
The sites are kind of trying to get rid of them while they still can
I would check ejuicesteals (google it) since they have clearance specials.
Some are as low as $2.99 each but most are $4.99. They also run deals frequently like free shipping or 25% off
You may also find something at The electrictobacconist (google, as well). The prices are higher but you can usually get decent deals if you buy multiples.

These sites also sell many of the refillable type of devices you are looking for.
I would suggest if you choose a pod device (small mod, uses high nic) be sure to purchase one with replaceable coils. Having to buy a new pod every time the coil wears out is wasteful and very expensive.

I would also highly suggest checking out your local vape shop to see if they stock the coils for the type of device you plan on getting.
Eventually that may be the only place you can get them from.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
There can be many different reasons why a person would describe a vape as "too strong". Does it feel harsh/grating so it makes her want to cough? Or it simply produces too much vapor too fast so it feels overpowering (like gasping for air) and/or hot? Nicotine harshness can be tamed either by switching to a different system that uses "nic salt" type of e-liquid (as opposed to uses freebase nicotine type e-liquid) and/or by lowering the e-liquid's nicotine dosage/strength. Whereas getting overwhelmed from bigger clouds can be remedied by switching to a different device/setup like suitable for MTL (Mouth To Lung) and/or for restricted DL (Direct Lung), also known as restricted DTL (Direct To Lung) or "restricted lung". Such a setup uses typically less power (watts) than a (less restricted) DTL setup.

Another factor to also want to take into account is that PG (Propylene Glycol) can cause a type of harshness known as "PG harshness", that, if the PG content in the e-liquid is too high, can irritate the throat and lungs of some people (myself included) more compared to some other people. Those who are sensitive to this type of harshness might want to try choosing the type of e-liquids that contain more VG, less PG. Personally, I, generally avoid anything that has less than 70 percent VG. I find that vaping on high VG also helps to reduce nicotine harshness, a whole lot actually. The combination of high VG and high wattage DTL is what allows me to choose a low nicotine strength (when I switched from smoking cigarettes to vaping, I started at just 4.5mg-5mg of nicotine) and still be able to absorb enough nicotine into my body fast enough.

The downsides of this are that high powered devices typically cost more money, they consume battery power more quickly so a device with multiple removable batteries that can be charged with an external charger is recommended for this, these devices are bigger/heavier and usually you also need to carry spare batteries with you. In addition, you get much bigger clouds, bigger frowns on people's faces each time when they see you do that again, and, other people who vape will keep telling you how totally crazy you are, as now you're exhaling something that looks like a weather system whereas only yesterday you were saying that you were choking.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Hi, and welcome :cheers:

since a lot of the vapes out there choke her out because they are to strong.
What is too strong? Too much vapor? or....

When I started vaping I still smoked for the first 2 weeks since I only took small enough vape puff so I wouldn't cough or be 'choked'. After getting used to vapor I fully replaced the cigs. Just small puffs till she gets used to it.

Which ones has she tried? Be specific pls.
How long did the battery last? Did she dual use [smoke too]?
When she only smoked, how much per day?

Ideally it will be variable wattage, external battery, air flow control, refillable. It can have a pod or a tank. Have appropriate choices for coils that are still manufactured, or at least plentiful enough to stock up. Some device's coils are brand cross compatible.
Or, rebuildable atomizer for the ability to fine tune the coil + better flavor + no buying premade coils.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors