New Member from South Houston

bobby.q

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's Bob, checking in.
I started vaping a little over a year ago.
Here's a story about how I made the switch...
I used to smoke a pack of "reds", every day. I started when I was about 16.
In February 2012, I got hurt.. I couldn't walk. I couldn't go outside to smoke. My gf didn't let me smoke inside so I was s.o.l... She got me the disposable cigalikes from walmart. They worked for about 2 weeks.. Then I realized they weren't that great. A 5 pack of refills cost $16.. One cartridge last me about 2 days.
Well, my injury was healing and I was able to walk again, but I was going crazy I guess from withdraw.
So I continued to smoke for a few more months..
Then I was introduced to the ego/ce4...by a friend.
I promised my gf that if she got me a kit, I would stop smoking.
She did. But it was a few weeks until I finally let go of the cigs.
The discovery of rda's, kanthal,YouTube vids, "forums", fasttech, and the vamo is what did it for me... Turning a habit into a hobby I guess you'd say..
I've always liked to tinker with electronics, so for me, vaping was a blessing in disguise.
Glad to be a part of the community.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Glad you made it to the vaping world!

What kind of gear are you using and what flavors of E-Liquid do you like?

bobby.q

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My everyday carry is usually a vamo v2 with an igo-l.. I'm still trying to figure out this kayfun, and for the past 3 days its not given me any leaking or dry hits.. So I've been using it with a 1ohm coil on top of a launcher v2 clone..
I haven't came across too many liquids that I like, but I diy a mean desert ship/ry4 20/80 @ 12mg.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
My everyday carry is usually a vamo v2 with an igo-l.. I'm still trying to figure out this kayfun, and for the past 3 days its not given me any leaking or dry hits.. So I've been using it with a 1ohm coil on top of a launcher v2 clone..
I haven't came across too many liquids that I like, but I diy a mean desert ship/ry4 20/80 @ 12mg.

What issues are you having with your KF? I really love mine and haven't had a dry hit yet.

bobby.q

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Leaking and/or dry hits..
Seems like everyone says that is main issue.
I've tried to dremel the juice channel, that didn't help much if at all.. I just wanted to see what all the hype was with the kayfun. I got the $14.xx one from fasttech, so that might be my problem... But like I said, it has been good to me for the last few days.. Seems like I should re-wick every other tank full...idk.. I'm a newb at kayfuns.. I did try the "chimney" coil and that was a fail,, I probably used too much cotton.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
For me, cotton just does not last which is why I use Ramie fiber.

When you dry burn and install a new wick, you want the ends of the wick to almost come straight down the chimney to the deck. Then add some E-Liquid to the wick and wait until you see the liquid start to run out into the channels. Then put the top of the chimney on, install the tank and then fill. I like to fill from the top by putting one finger over the air hole, filling it to just below where the bottom of the top of the unit will end up, put the top on and screw it in about half way. Then turn it upside down while removing you finger from the hole and tighten down the top. Turn it right-side up and then catch the few drops that come out of the hole. Once it stops dribbling, you are ready to vape!

bobby.q

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I know about silica,cotton,butchers twine, ekowool, cheese cloth, ss mesh, and rayon... Never heard of "ramie" though...
I had to watch a few build videos before I realized that the " juice channels" are not "wick channels"..
I was trying to run my wicks through there. Somewhat like rebuilding a pro tank coil.
Now when I wick the kayfun, i run about an inch of cotton through the coil and tuck it down towards the juice channel, then lightly add more cotton around the deck.
That seems to help with the leakage. No dry hits so far, so I guess it's working.
Btw, I did have to add extra o rings to the top cap, base, and the inside where the chimney connects to the top cap.. So here's where we say, " you get what you pay for"...
Also, I use a similar method of refilling..
Hold the air hole, fill from the top, put top back on, then suck through the drip tip as I remove my finger from the air hole... Minimal leakage...

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
This video is very helpful!

bobby.q

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yea, that was the last video I saw before I got it working right...

VU Sponsors