Become a Patron!

New Mod Burning Wick?

Long story short.

• Got a Smok M65 XPro
  • Having problems with power being reduced all the time.
  • Try different tank. Same result.
  • Try different batteries. Same result.
  • Purchased a Vaporfi Vox II
  • While Vox is in transit, M65 starts working a bit better. Still has problems once battery gets down to 70% though. Running 0.6 coil in SubTank Plus right now at 18w and getting good production and flavor.
  • Received my new Vox II
  • Transfer over SubTank
  • Fire up Vox II
  • Even at 7.0w, I'm getting a burnt wick. Vape is way hotter than the M65 at 18w.
What gives? How can the same tank setup get results so totally different from two mods?

I also have a Delta II tank at home, so I guess I'll check that on the Vox II tonight, but I'm a little baffled how 18w on one device can be pretty perfect and the same tank burns wicks with 7w on the other device.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hi, and happy belated welcome to VU :)

Jeez, that is really weird that you're having those problems....Smoktech hasn't always had a 100 percent record when it comes to vape gear...they're kind of the more budget line company....you know...the KIA or Hyundai of vaping if you will. Did you have any more luck with you're Delta II on either device?

I'll be honest, I don't have any experience with either of those devices but there is only so many things it could be. I have some simple stupid questions...and if none of them help I would suggest you try and exchange your devices before time runs out if possible to exchange them at all..

Did you put your tanks on an ohm's reader and poke around at them with a toothpick at random places to see if the resistance would jump wildly indicating a soft short that might be giving the devices problems correctly but not bad enough to cause them to fail? Did you try putting a different coil in them to see if it was just a bad head? Did you check the insulators on the bases of your tanks to see if they're torn, worn or damaged? is the center post crooked on your tank causing pressure issues and the tank to not wick properly? Do you have the same problem with multiple tanks on multiple devices?

I ask this because way back in the stone age I had a protank 2 when they first came out, like within the first two weeks that no matter what battery on what setting I used it the thing would always taste burnt and horrible...I bought another one and that one worked great and I couldn't understand what the problem was....I would try the same juices and the exact same atomizer head on both tanks and one was great and one was horrible. I tried replacing the o-rings and the base on the bad one and still nothing but ass so it sat in a drawer for weeks...till one day I took it out to throw it away and held it just right and noticed the center post of it was crooked. I realized that because it was crooked that the tank wasn't sealing properly and couldn't not form a proper vacuum and wouldn't feed the coil causing nothing but burnt nasty vape hell as the result.

Sometimes the simplist and stupidest of things give you the most problems...but if it's not an easy fix like that I would swap out your device as fast as possible to avoid being stuck with an expensive paperweight as they're far more complex today than the stuff we had back then.

I am sorry this is happening to you and wish you the best of luck and hope you let me know the outcome.

Ahh, been a while since I posted here. Thought I'd moved past the issues, but I guess not...

Never even got to try the Delta II tank on the Vox - the threading is too short and the positive terminals don't make contact so no go there.

I was doing fine with the Subtank up until yesterday. Figured out that I could start a new coil at a lower wattage, then gradually move it up to avoid problems with burning.

However, now the Vox is reading Low Resistance on both of the 0.5 Subtank coils I have. I've had to go back to the M65, but that won't get above 22 watts or so without reducing power, which isn't enough to get a real vape off of.

Really damn annoyed right now, feeling like both these mods are junk.

Called VaporFi support. Apparently their support isn't actually support at the regular level. The person who took my call was quite nice, but she didn't have a clue what I was talking about. My case with them has been escalated, but it's a 24-48 hour turnaround for anyone to get back to me.

Sent a few emails to Smok in the past, but never heard a word from them. Zero point zero support apparently.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ahh, been a while since I posted here. Thought I'd moved past the issues, but I guess not...

Never even got to try the Delta II tank on the Vox - the threading is too short and the positive terminals don't make contact so no go there.

I was doing fine with the Subtank up until yesterday. Figured out that I could start a new coil at a lower wattage, then gradually move it up to avoid problems with burning.

However, now the Vox is reading Low Resistance on both of the 0.5 Subtank coils I have. I've had to go back to the M65, but that won't get above 22 watts or so without reducing power, which isn't enough to get a real vape off of.

Really damn annoyed right now, feeling like both these mods are junk.

Called VaporFi support. Apparently their support isn't actually support at the regular level. The person who took my call was quite nice, but she didn't have a clue what I was talking about. My case with them has been escalated, but it's a 24-48 hour turnaround for anyone to get back to me.

Sent a few emails to Smok in the past, but never heard a word from them. Zero point zero support apparently.

That sucks...the M65 is supposed to have a flat DC-DC signal, but also have a "mech mod" mod that puts out the straight voltage of the battery as well as the power reduction mode. It sounds like that there's a glich and it's firing in mech mode and regulating at the same time....I am not expert and I've never played with one so I can't say for sure but from what you've described it sounds like the device is in unregulated mode and trying to power reduce at the same time.

I hope they let you exchange or return the device at the least and I wish you the best of luck. I am sorry I have no good advice to give you but I would like to hear how this plays out...if nothing else maybe some good can come from sharing your experience with us here...if it gets much worse you can always put it up in the mud pit in the section dedicated to warning about potential issues with a vendor or company. Best of luck :(

VU Sponsors