Become a Patron!

NEW SETUP - GETTING WORRIED.

randomwhiteguy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey guys,

So I'm new to all this, mostly doing it to quit smoking cigarettes.

I had an Eleaf 50W iStick with an Atlantis V2 .3 coil.
I just switched yesterday and I now have an eLeaf 100w with a Smok TFV4 Tank, tri-coil, making it about .22 Ohms. The thing that worried me a bit is that this eLeaf I had to by 2 18650 batteries for. So the guy in the store gave me LG HE4's, they charge in the eLeaf and all that.
Basically I want to know, AM I SAFE WITH THIS SET-UP?

I'm running it at 60W / 3.6V right now, I put it up to 70 and it got hot real quick, I'm horrible with trying to understand this battery stuff too, not gonna lie.
So am I Safe with this? Or should I be getting a new box? What do you all think?

misthub_rick

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Vape Media
LG HE4's are a solid battery and I have not seen many if any safety issues with the iStick 100W's yet however it is important to note that your batteries are rated for 20A so using a .3Ω coil @ 60W that setup will pull around 14-15A in other words pushing the batteries to about 3/4 of their safe capacity. In theory you should be safe but I would suggest running it a bit and then removing the battery cover to see if it's the mod, atomizer, or batteries that are getting hot.

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So glad to see you make a post about your concerns. Always better safe than sorry. As misthub said, your within the safety limits on your setup. Mods, atties, batts all get warm while in use. Carry on.

randomwhiteguy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
LG HE4's are a solid battery and I have not seen many if any safety issues with the iStick 100W's yet however it is important to note that your batteries are rated for 20A so using a .3Ω coil @ 60W that setup will pull around 14-15A in other words pushing the batteries to about 3/4 of their safe capacity. In theory you should be safe but I would suggest running it a bit and then removing the battery cover to see if it's the mod, atomizer, or batteries that are getting hot.

Thanks a bunch for your reply!
Now my next question to you - is there a safer box I can be using? Considering what you said, this .22 tri-coil probably isnt the smartest thing for this box.
The thing I liked about my istick 50w was that I didnt have to put these 18650 batteries in it. lol.

EDIT: I used it a bit until it got pretty warm, opened up and felt the batteries, they have no heat , it seems to be the base of the tank.

Last edited:

randomwhiteguy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So glad to see you make a post about your concerns. Always better safe than sorry. As misthub said, your within the safety limits on your setup. Mods, atties, batts all get warm while in use. Carry on.

Thank you, And as I asked misthub, do you happen to know any safer boxes I can be using?
Is this a "regulated" setup or hybrid?

misthub_rick

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Vape Media
It is a regulated setup and please note in your OP you said you were using a .3Ω coil in your last post you mentioned a .22Ω coil. @ .22Ω you are looking at around 19A or 95% of your batteries safe capacity. This will not change with a different box. In order to get around this you will need a battery with a 30A limit like the Sony VTC4

randomwhiteguy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It is a regulated setup and please note in your OP you said you were using a .3Ω coil in your last post you mentioned a .22Ω coil. @ .22Ω you are looking at around 19A or 95% of your batteries safe capacity. This will not change with a different box. In order to get around this you will need a battery with a 30A limit like the Sony VTC4

In my OP I was talking about my first setup being a eLeaf 50w with an atlantis tank .3 coil
My new setup is the eLeaf 100w with a SMOK TFV4 Tank which comes with a tri-coil at .22 Ohms

Should I not be using this tank?
I've also read on the internet that alot of sony VTC4's aren't authentic.

I should have just gotten a new Atlantis tank lol.

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Or you could get the coils in the .5 range for a better safety margin and use your current batts with no issues...Not sure what coils are offered for the TFV4. What misthub said about VTC4 is great, And or, get .5 or higher coil and batts and you would be totally safe, not that you aren't safe now, just safer.

misthub_rick

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Vape Media
There are still some reputable dealers of VTC4 30 amp cells out there (shameless self-plug coming) like MistHub for instance. Sony stopped manufacturing VTC4's years ago however there are still legit cells that meet the Sony VTC4's specs without issue.

TasteMyToast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You are completley safe safe with those batteries, the mod you have is in series with built in safety. You aren't pushing those batteries very hard at all.

randomwhiteguy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You are completley safe safe with those batteries, the mod you have is in series with built in safety. You aren't pushing those batteries very hard at all.

The .2 Resistance is really the only thing worrying me, I appreciate your reply! a couple kids at my work have this tank and they use it with the cube II.
Thank you brotha

randomwhiteguy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Except the iStick 100w is a dual cell parallel wired regulated. Eleaf says 25A limit for the chip.
.22 at 80-100w should be about 22A at the chip. Half or so per cell.

And HE4s are fine cells, have a few of them myself.

So considering I'm firing it at 60-70w I'm well within the limits then?

randomwhiteguy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
75 is really pushing the limit for a single good cell and not difficult to go over depending on the build. A crappy battery... well, don't want to go there. Even with a regulated mod and what protections it offers.

I'm hitting my iStick 100 right now with a factory 0.2 dual coil and it needs 50 plus and wants 60 to 70w. That trip you're using is slightly more power hungry. It's not for a single cell mod.

And that's why it's hot at the base of the tank. That's a honkin' big amount of wattage through a bit of wire. "Hand held toasters". Don't go nuts chain vaping, use common sense so you don't heat up the top of the mod and keep an occasional eye on the warmth of the batteries. If those get warm... STOP.

Other than that... your setup is fine. Don't set off the smoke alarms. :p

Thank you so much.
Feels better knowing you have a similar setup.
I'm slowly starting to understand it , doubt i'll ever get into the rda/rba stuff though.

randomwhiteguy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
75 is really pushing the limit for a single good cell and not difficult to go over depending on the build. A crappy battery... well, don't want to go there. Even with a regulated mod and what protections it offers.

I'm hitting my iStick 100 right now with a factory 0.2 dual coil and it needs 50 plus and wants 60 to 70w. That trip you're using is slightly more power hungry. It's not for a single cell mod.

And that's why it's hot at the base of the tank. That's a honkin' big amount of wattage through a bit of wire. "Hand held toasters". Don't go nuts chain vaping, use common sense so you don't heat up the top of the mod and keep an occasional eye on the warmth of the batteries. If those get warm... STOP.

Other than that... your setup is fine. Don't set off the smoke alarms. :p

1 question for you, what batteries are you using in your eleaf?

MattyRetro

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm a big fan of illumn.com for batteries. You can get VTC4's there as well 25r's and HE2's. If you are really worried about it get some VTC4's and have the extra piece of mind. They are on sale right now for $6.00/pc. I think you are fine from what others have said on this thread though. The LG is a quality battery.

VU Sponsors