1. UP FOR A NEW CHALLENGE? CLICK HERE TO CHECK IT OUT

New Smoant Cylon

Discussion in 'Regulated (Voltage / Wattage / 3.7v/ Temp Control)' started by zeeter, Aug 13, 2018.

1. zeeter

zeeter Bronze Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Received in the mail only moments ago. They sell them in the stores locally but I wanted the brown leather(ish) grip rather than the black and nobody had it.

Also bought a Freemax Mesh Pro tank and two packs of triple mesh coils rated for 80-110W.

Out of the box the battery latch was loose. After adding the batteries it's snug, but I worry about that moving forward.

Problems with rushing due to excitement:
    1. Forgot to put the 6ml glass on the tank so I'm using the 5ml until I need to change the coils again.
    2. I primed the coils, roughing them up with a knife first. Let the e-liquid seep in. Filled the tank. Closed the air holes and sucked through it to draw more liquid into the coils. After that I still got a semi-dry hit. Not horrible, but enough to make me want to let it sit for a half hour.

One thing I don't like is the bottom loading battery system. I prefer the side load as sliding the batteries in and out of a bottom loader tends to wear down the battery wrap. I need to play with it a bit, but I'm wondering why the cool clock on the mod only stays on for a few seconds. IMO that should stay on permanently, or at least have an option for it. Maybe there is and I just haven't looked at it yet. I'm not a directions reader.

Grandpa likes this.
  2. Grandpa

Grandpa Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Keep us posted. Cylon is the next new mod I want to get.

3. zeeter

Blog Posts:
    After letting it soak for a little while I've been using it a lot and LOVE it! I'm not a big cloud chaser, but this produced nice, big clouds with the FreeMax tank and triple mesh. What I am waiting for is the batteries to die down. What I liked about the Charon was that I'd get a good hit right up until the batteries died, whereas other ones (Tesla Punk) struggled as the battery drained below 20%. Would like to see this power boost in the Cylon even if it means less battery life.

4. The Kid

The Kid New Member

Blog Posts:
    i have had my cylon for over two months and i ride a motorcycle and i am mechanic and i have no problems with the battery door at all.great mod

zeeter likes this.
  5. zeeter

Blog Posts:
    Without the batteries in mine is a little loose, but with the batteries it doesn't appear to be a problem. Seems like it's not an issue.

6. inspects

inspects Squonkamaniac Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    Had one since inception, no problems to report....and it does TC well, if your into that.

Rooster Cogburn likes this.
  7. Rooster Cogburn

Rooster Cogburn Bronze Contributor ECF Refugee Reddit Exile

Blog Posts:
    I also got one at inception, use it daily, and have had zero issues and/or complaints. Fits the biggest atomizers, 30mm and probably a little more without overhang. The clock can be adjusted to stay on for up to 30 seconds, I believe, and many other things in the menu. This is the best mod I own, also never had the batteries fall out due to door problems. Does power and temperature control excellent and just looks good. This has to be the most mod for the least money, a better value doesn’t exist. Again I use the Cylon daily and it looks brand new after 7 months.

inspects likes this.
  8. zeeter

Blog Posts:
    One thing I've found after five days with the Cylon is that it does weaken as the battery dies out. The Charon gives a good hit all the way until the battery is dead. I'm at around 20% battery now and it's very weak with the Cylon.

9. zeeter

Blog Posts:
    I also noticed that twice when I changed out the batteries it popped up to 180W from 100.

10. MWorthington

MWorthington Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    It's possible that battery sag is causing the Cylon to hit weak at 20 percent and below. My Battlestar cuts off at 3.4 volts so it hits good all the way to shut down. My Hohmwrecker G2 shuts off at 3.25 volts so, from about 25% on down I can feel it hitting weaker because of the sag in voltage when I press the fire button.

Just a thought.

Rooster Cogburn likes this.
  11. zeeter

Blog Posts:
    There's some kind of boost circuit in the Charon and probably the Battlestar that ensures full power until the battery is dead. It does go through batteries faster, but it is preferable to a bunch of weak hits through the last 20%. I don't like to remove my batteries until it's completely dead.

MWorthington likes this.
  12. zeeter

Blog Posts:
    In my ongoing review of the Cylon, three times now I've gone to use it and found that the wattage was way off from where I had set it. Once I caught it before vaping; another time it was set to around 7W or so and wasn't an issue. I just took at full blast hit at 173W and wow! Awful!

Clearly it's from something I'm doing; probably when I'm carrying it and not noticing that I'm touching the buttons. Yet it does seem very easy compared to other mods to significantly change the wattage without knowing.

I'm sure there is a setting where I can lock the wattage but I haven't found it yet.

I still like the mod a lot. There are just a couple of things that could make it better.

Edit: Burned up my wick, too.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  13. zeeter

Blog Posts:
    Again I had the wattage problem. Either this is jumping on its own or it is way too easy to accidentally change the wattage on this thing. I don't want to have to check this thing before every vape.In this case it jumped from 85W to 117W. Just enough to slightly burn the wick.

After reading the manual I can find no way to lock the wattage. If this is the case then I cannot recommend this mod.

1. Wattage changes - either on its own or way to easy to accidentally change.
    2. Does not hold power until the battery is drained like other Smoant mods.

14. fidola13

fidola13 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Have you contacted Smoant to see if there is a way to lock the buttons or provide a firmware update?
    This is exactly why I don’t like using non locking devices. I have several Revenger Xs and they lock automatically after a few seconds. Could be annoying to some but I’m glad of the safety protection.

15. zeeter

Blog Posts:
    I have not contacted them. I have done an exhaustive search for some way to lock it. A big part of the problem is the location of the up and down buttons. They are on the side while the strike button is on the end.

fidola13 likes this.
  16. zeeter

Blog Posts:
    To expand on the power issue, it seems to start when the battery indicators hit just around 50%. This is with new and old batteries. I thought maybe the batteries were just bad but I tried some brand new batteries, fully charged, and the same thing. No feeling or flavor past 50%.