Become a Patron!

New TFV8-Having some issues...

Torturedzen

Member For 4 Years
Good afternoon all,
I haven't posted much here on this sub but I excel at lurking. Hopefully that's not a factor when requesting some help. And apologies in advance if this seems a tad lengthy. A bit of a background on me...I've been vaping for close to 3 years after quitting 2pks/day for 40 years. I've also been mixing my own juice for about 2 years.

Recently I purchased the Smok TFV8, which I have read nothing but positive things about. I was hoping it would be a contender for the top slot in my rotation. My #1 currently being the Boreas. But I'm disappointed with the TFV8's performance, and not quite sure what I should be doing....or not doing. The mod I use it with is the Hcigar DNA VT133 which is set to max kanthal @120 watts. My specific issue is the vapor production with the included coils. I've tried both the T8 and the Q4 bundled with the tank, about half filled with 70/30 juice. Smok's recommended wattage for those coils is way more than the 50-60w I am accustomed to, so I set my VT133 to 90w (for starters) and let the coil sit for a few mins to saturate. If all went well then a gradual wattage increase.

When I fired the "Beast", first with the T8, I was expecting some pretty decent clouds. But I was met with a wispy, hot vape that my lungs just couldn't handle. This was less than a 2 second hit! The flavor was there but the clouds were anemic at best. So far I've played with both the T8 and Q4coils, verified a solid connection, adjusted wattage up/down, doubled checked my Kanthal settings, etc etc. Everything I could think of. Even threw it on an old Sigelei 150. No difference.

Now, I have experience with building RTA'S, RDTA'S, RDA'S and RBA'S, so I'd like to think I know a few things. Aside from these "Turbo Engines", this TFV8 shouldn't be all that different. But I'll be damned if I can figure this thing out! I guess I can always fall back on the RBA deck for now but any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Good afternoon all,
I haven't posted much here on this sub but I excel at lurking. Hopefully that's not a factor when requesting some help. And apologies in advance if this seems a tad lengthy. A bit of a background on me...I've been vaping for close to 3 years after quitting 2pks/day for 40 years. I've also been mixing my own juice for about 2 years.

Recently I purchased the Smok TFV8, which I have read nothing but positive things about. I was hoping it would be a contender for the top slot in my rotation. My #1 currently being the Boreas. But I'm disappointed with the TFV8's performance, and not quite sure what I should be doing....or not doing. The mod I use it with is the Hcigar DNA VT133 which is set to max kanthal @120 watts. My specific issue is the vapor production with the included coils. I've tried both the T8 and the Q4 bundled with the tank, about half filled with 70/30 juice. Smok's recommended wattage for those coils is way more than the 50-60w I am accustomed to, so I set my VT133 to 90w (for starters) and let the coil sit for a few mins to saturate. If all went well then a gradual wattage increase.

When I fired the "Beast", first with the T8, I was expecting some pretty decent clouds. But I was met with a wispy, hot vape that my lungs just couldn't handle. This was less than a 2 second hit! The flavor was there but the clouds were anemic at best. So far I've played with both the T8 and Q4coils, verified a solid connection, adjusted wattage up/down, doubled checked my Kanthal settings, etc etc. Everything I could think of. Even threw it on an old Sigelei 150. No difference.

Now, I have experience with building RTA'S, RDTA'S, RDA'S and RBA'S, so I'd like to think I know a few things. Aside from these "Turbo Engines", this TFV8 shouldn't be all that different. But I'll be damned if I can figure this thing out! I guess I can always fall back on the RBA deck for now but any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
i hit mine with wide open airflow on the 6 and 8 coil at 140-150 watts
about 75% airflow on the the Q4 and 130-140 watts

I love my VT133, great device, but the 133 is barely enough for the TFV8 TBH. the minimum on most coils for it 120 and you need to go higher to really get the vapor and flavor from it.

Try it with your sig 150 and hit it all the way to 150 watts with air wide open. You should get a great vape from that

Also when you put in a new coil give it 10-15 minutes to wick. they take a while to wick

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Must be a bad coil, I don't have any problems with the .15 coils, but seldom vape at more than 90 watts with the airflow about 50% open, the coils last MUCH longer with fantastic flavor and vapor at lower wattage.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Must be a bad coil, I don't have any problems with the .15 coils, but seldom vape at more than 90 watts with the airflow about 50% open, the coils last MUCH longer with fantastic flavor and vapor at lower wattage.
interesting. maybe i'll give that a try

markcfh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ya the 4 coil I run 90-100w. Get really good vapor production. The 8s need minimum of 120w

VU Sponsors