Become a Patron!

New to building and struggling like crazy

Naheed

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi all,

I have a goblin mini V3 and recently purchased serpent mini. I have experienced a weird taste from goblin and muted flavor from serpent mini. My coils spit and pop alot. I think its the coil build thats causing this issues. Tried a spaced coil as well with no luck. However, there is one thing I have noticed on the videos I have watched on youtube. The coil legs when tightened don't bend, while mine bend completely and loose shape especially spaced coils. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?

Tg522587

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hi all,

I have a goblin mini V3 and recently purchased serpent mini. I have experienced a weird taste from goblin and muted flavor from serpent mini. My coils spit and pop alot. I think its the coil build thats causing this issues. Tried a spaced coil as well with no luck. However, there is one thing I have noticed on the videos I have watched on youtube. The coil legs when tightened don't bend, while mine bend completely and loose shape especially spaced coils. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?

Im new to this too but i think they are supposed to bend. You tweek them til they're straight. The tutorials I've watched they always bend it a little. You want to hold the legs flush to the bolts as you tighten the bolts and just do a little on each side before tightening all of the way... that's what I do anyway. It's my first build and it's working out for me.

And I think its your wicking rather than the coil. What type of wick youre using determines how to properly wick the specific build. I use cotton bacon and all I do is put a few drops on it and use it. But some you have to pulse for it to properly wick.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hi all,

What kind of wire are you using? How many wraps and whatnot? What ohms reading? Are they glowing evenly from the middle outward?

Wicking does make a difference, but so does the amount of wattage and the consistency of the juice. Some spitting and popping is normal but you may also not be using enough wattage, or too much.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
What kind of wire are you using? How many wraps and whatnot? What ohms reading? Are they glowing evenly from the middle outward?

This^^^^

Definitely need to know what kind of wire you are using and what you are doing (or not doing to it) before you wrap

Wicking is indeed also important as noted above

Also, what ohms are you targeting and are you at least mainly hitting that target?

Naheed

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use Kanthal 7 wraps and Nicrome 8 wraps comes out around .6 and .45 respectively. I have also tried using a clapton wire 5 wraps comes out to .60 ohms. I use japanese cotton as a wicking method. The coil is glowing from inside out, I have just noticed the first and last wraps where the legs are don't glow as much, because they bend while tightening down the screws.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I use Kanthal 7 wraps and Nicrome 8 wraps comes out around .6 and .45 respectively. I have also tried using a clapton wire 5 wraps comes out to .60 ohms. I use japanese cotton as a wicking method. The coil is glowing from inside out, I have just noticed the first and last wraps where the legs are don't glow as much, because they bend while tightening down the screws.

You don't want to see any glowing on the legs at all. That is called a hot leg and is bad news.

You may want to tighten down the coils, dry burn and rewick the coils ;)

Naheed

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Is the half wrap thats around the legs supposed to glow with the coil? By half wrap I mean the first and last wrap of the coil that connects to the post. Those parts don't complete a full round. Are those supposed to turn a little red or not at all?

I usually burn it at 18-25 watts.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
What? Nothing is supposed to wrap attends the posts. I'm confused. Can you post a picture? And have you trimmed the legs so they don't stick out the other side? Need to cut them flush against the post.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
No, the part that you stuff into the hole shouldn't glow, only from the centre out. Both side should glow equally and at the same time.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Naheed

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have posted pics of my build. Please let me know if the build is good.. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3689.JPG
    IMG_3689.JPG
    741.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3690.JPG
    IMG_3690.JPG
    721.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3691.JPG
    IMG_3691.JPG
    721.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3692.JPG
    IMG_3692.JPG
    702.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3693.JPG
    IMG_3693.JPG
    661.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3687.JPG
    IMG_3687.JPG
    752 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3690.JPG
    IMG_3690.JPG
    721.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3691.JPG
    IMG_3691.JPG
    721.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3692.JPG
    IMG_3692.JPG
    702.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3693.JPG
    IMG_3693.JPG
    661.4 KB · Views: 35

Naheed

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also, while dry burning I can see that the legs glow a little and it has also changed color due to oxidization I believe. Is that normal? If not than how do I fix it? Thank you for all the support..

I have also uploaded pics of the legs. Please suggest. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3702.JPG
    IMG_3702.JPG
    919.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3703.JPG
    IMG_3703.JPG
    897.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3704.JPG
    IMG_3704.JPG
    957.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3705.JPG
    IMG_3705.JPG
    967.1 KB · Views: 23

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Also, while dry burning I can see that the legs glow a little and it has also changed color due to oxidization I believe. Is that normal? If not than how do I fix it? Thank you for all the support..

I have also uploaded pics of the legs. Please suggest. Thanks.
You don't need to hold the fire button, just pulse it on and off to get the coils glowing from the center outward. Your first picture looked really good, bravo for just starting out. If you heat the hell out of the coil the legs will glow eventually. You shouldn't be using so much heat, it's degrading the wire. When the coil is wicked and wet, it should work fine.

Naheed

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks. Maybe that is what I was doing wrong. Degrading the wire before I could even wick it. Also did that alot of times before wicking. No wonder I am getting muted flavor and that weird burning taste. I will make a new coil and give this a shot and see if there is any improvement..

Wicking has been my problem #2 lol. Can't really figure out how much cotton to put in there, and its really tricky to make japanese cotton fluffy. After making the end pointed is there any specific way to put the cotton in or you just have to slide it in straight..

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It's just like putting thread in a sewing needle. Feed it in then pull it through.

Naheed

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Perfect thanks.. Made a new build today and so far so good. No more burnt taste, just getting little flavor but I think thats because the juice I have is kinda old, so there are chances its faded. However I am getting sizzling or hissing sounds when I leave the fire button. Does anyone know why this is happening?

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Because hot + liquid = sizzle ;) You may hear it for a second or two as well after letting go of the fire button as the coils hold residual heat.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you aren't sure if it's really starting from the middle after the legs are fixed, go in the bathroom and turn the light off. Pulse it and you can see it easier.

Edit: This works well for stainless wire you don't want to heat too much.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Coloring of metal when heated is normal..... just pulse the coil to that dull orange red color till coil heats from center out and evenly across. .. the legs and part of the first loops should stay dark....

Leave coil form inserted into coil till legs are tight and coil positioned where you want it.... unless ceramic Remeber to remove before firing or metering. Retighten after dry burn. ... the smaller and softer the wire the more it will bend when screws are tightened..... if wire get sheared off in the screws might need different post screws or heavier wire.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Naheed

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you. I am still not getting proper flavor. The thing with goblin mini is that in the single coil deck airflow hole is a little far and using kanthal or nicrome 2.5 diameter is a bit tough to fit. If I push it against the post while tightning I have to pull the coil alot to reach the airflow. I tried serpent mini it produces little flavor but cotton taste is what I get even when I put less cotton.. Any suggestions? Thanks.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
7275a41fb10d75c41f27106c139981c1.jpg

Within a couple of months you'll be able to build a set up blind,drunk or asleep.......

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thank you. I am still not getting proper flavor. The thing with goblin mini is that in the single coil deck airflow hole is a little far and using kanthal or nicrome 2.5 diameter is a bit tough to fit. If I push it against the post while tightning I have to pull the coil alot to reach the airflow. I tried serpent mini it produces little flavor but cotton taste is what I get even when I put less cotton.. Any suggestions? Thanks.

You may need a different kind of tank. Or it could be crappy juice.

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The cotton taste will diminish as you break in your coil. Try different cotton to find one you like.

Naheed

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I tried a different cotton today. (Muji) It came with my serpent mini when I purchased it. No more burnt taste, but muted flavor. I also tried using a 60/40 base and the flavor is not that bad. ( Atleast I can taste something lol) Alot of bubbles comes out from the tank though. I think the problem is with wicking now as I hardly see any bubbles when using 70/30 base. Tried this on Goblin Mini.

Last edited:

cvostreetglide

Member For 2 Years
I tried a different cotton today. (Muji) It came with my serpent mini when I purchased it. No more burnt taste, but muted flavor. I also tried using a 60/40 base and the flavor is not that bad. ( Atleast I can taste something lol) Alot of bubbles comes out from the tank though. I think the problem is with wicking now as I hardly see any bubbles when using 70/30 base. Tried this on Goblin Mini.

This has been a really good post and set of responses for us "newbees" and thanks for that. I have an observation and a question to add and no better place to post it.

On the first set of pictures (nice job by the way) I noticed the coil is not "right" over the air hole. In the first picture I see it's only half over the hole making the "legs" too short perhaps? Other pictures show (from the front angle) that the coil is shifted slightly right of the hole perhaps not taking full advantage of the air movement? Maybe I'm too picky or perhaps I don't have a good enough view to see it correctly... but could that effect the flavor?

I decided to post the "question" part on it's own thread so as not to hijack this one... lol

Nice looking build job though... my first was not so pretty!!

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you aren't sure if it's really starting from the middle after the legs are fixed, go in the bathroom and turn the light off. Pulse it and you can see it easier.

Edit: This works well for stainless wire you don't want to heat too much.

OP took your advice.

Post a pic of it with wick installed. So we’re not guessing.

No pic OP trapped in bathroom

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Mighty late for the party...
The coil building has been addressed.
If it is the wicking causing the lack of taste then research out rayon. Rayon kicks the shit out of any cotton in any build. Learn to thin the tails and pack it tight and get a great experience. If its wicked properly, there is no breakin taste. You get way more life out of the wicking with rayon. Cotton plugs up cause the juice flows inside the fiber then gunks up and plugs the fiber, eventually all the fibers plug up and wick is toast...few days. With rayon the juice flows outside the fiber so it doesn't expand but settle some so that's the tightness in the coil. In most cases with me at least, the coil cocoons with gunk long before the rayon poops out, couple few weeks with the right juice.
Head out to some hairdressers and see if they use the rayon, usually box 44060 and ask for a couple feet from the bottom. Thats how I acquired my first couple feet of rayon a few years back then shelved my cotton, got me a 500' box and never looked back. Going on 3 years now vaping rayon builds mostly in subtank mini's and some older kayfuns and rayon is a great vape.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
If it is the wicking causing the lack of taste then research out rayon. Rayon kicks the shit out of any cotton in any build. Learn to thin the tails and pack it tight and get a great experience. If its wicked properly, there is no breakin taste. You get way more life out of the wicking with rayon. Cotton plugs up cause the juice flows inside the fiber then gunks up and plugs the fiber, eventually all the fibers plug up and wick is toast...few days. With rayon the juice flows outside the fiber so it doesn't expand but settle some so that's the tightness in the coil. In most cases with me at least, the coil cocoons with gunk long before the rayon poops out, couple few weeks with the right juice.
Head out to some hairdressers and see if they use the rayon, usually box 44060 and ask for a couple feet from the bottom. Thats how I acquired my first couple feet of rayon a few years back then shelved my cotton, got me a 500' box and never looked back. Going on 3 years now vaping rayon builds mostly in subtank mini's and some older kayfuns and rayon is a great vape.

I still prefer natural cotton. It's cheap and easy to replace. And if you get a dry hit with flame, cotton will not melt onto your coil. Just pull it out and replace it.. Still a matter of preference though. To me, I would rather take a dry hit off cotton than inhale fumes from burnt rayon.

Locomotion

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I like the popping out of my coils it lets me know im getting the maxium flavor usually bc of the juice pockets from my builds.Flavor Fireworks

Naheed

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I will try out Rayon. Will have to see where I can find rayon here. I actually thought I would try a different RTA and got the serpent RDTA. Unfortunately having the same problem. I Than tried getting the Merlin Mini RTA as I didn't like the airflow on the serpent RDTA coz I usually prefer MTL, but flavor is always a issue for me. Coil glows from the inside out and evenly however I have noticed that the first and last wrap of the coil don't glow as red as the middle ones. Is this normal? Can't really tell where the problem is. Is it the wicking or the coil.

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I will try out Rayon. Will have to see where I can find rayon here. I actually thought I would try a different RTA and got the serpent RDTA. Unfortunately having the same problem. I Than tried getting the Merlin Mini RTA as I didn't like the airflow on the serpent RDTA coz I usually prefer MTL, but flavor is always a issue for me. Coil glows from the inside out and evenly however I have noticed that the first and last wrap of the coil don't glow as red as the middle ones. Is this normal? Can't really tell where the problem is. Is it the wicking or the coil.
If the outside half wraps don't glow that's normal as long as the coils are glowing evenly and from the middle.

It's hard to say exactly what your problem is, but my money is on wicking. Rta's are kind of tricky to wick perfectly. It took me several weeks before I really got it down and sometimes I still over/under pack the cotton. Once you get it down though, you will be able to wick any rta easily and imo the right rta has flavor and cloud production that rivals and rda.

Just make sure your cotton is nice and snug inside the coil, but fairly loose and fluffy in the juice well. My biggest problem when learning to master wick rtas was that I kept overpacking my juice well.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
hit it with a gurt big hammer......everybody has thrown a few attys across the room at one time or another no shame in that.

VU Sponsors