Become a Patron!

New to building. HELP please

Shaulisbvape

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
I Have a few rebuildbles. RDA. Goon, and the goon v1.5. RTA. Pico clone given to me and the wotofo seprpent mini haven' tried the rta's yet. Been buying pre built Alien Coil 0.45 OHMS / 0.3*0.8 flat 32GA A1 want to start builing coils myself. I'm up and up on ohms Law and battery Safety. Just not sure where to start. What gauge to use like whats the common gauge used I consider myself really handy and patient. So up for trying something. I like flavor over clouds. Oh my mod is a smok g priv2 230w/tc Thank you.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Could try a fused Clapton first that’s where I started 2x26g / 38g wrap still use this combo today

No reason why you can’t add more cores as well just reduce them to 28 or 30g

Or go ribbon like the ones you posted above although I found it easier to the get the basic ones mastered first as it leads in the next build

Shaulisbvape

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
Could try a fused Clapton first that’s where I started 2x26g / 38g wrap still use this combo today

No reason why you can’t add more cores as well just reduce them to 28 or 30g

Or go ribbon like the ones you posted above although I found it easier to the get the basic ones mastered first as it leads in the next build

Thanks man gives me a start point. Couldn't figure out what gauge to go with to start.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
anytime good luck :) try to keep the lead at a 90 degree angle when wrapping and maintain the tension on the cores with the drill

Can also twist the cores together first then Clapton over them that’s a nice vape as well

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I Have a few rebuildbles. RDA. Goon, and the goon v1.5. RTA. Pico clone given to me and the wotofo seprpent mini haven' tried the rta's yet. Been buying pre built Alien Coil 0.45 OHMS / 0.3*0.8 flat 32GA A1 want to start builing coils myself. I'm up and up on ohms Law and battery Safety. Just not sure where to start. What gauge to use like whats the common gauge used I consider myself really handy and patient. So up for trying something. I like flavor over clouds. Oh my mod is a smok g priv2 230w/tc Thank you.
I started out with 26g wire. You'll need a lot thinner wore for wrapping though. Like at least a 32g. Most wrap with 36 I believe. I just recently started trying fused claptons and I guess I should start a regular clapton to learn to keep my hands right. I always spool the roll of wore on accident then I'm stuck pissed off and respooling wire

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I started with 24g just messing around twisting. Then I bought a roll of 26g, 27g, 28g, 30g. I quickly realized that I needed smaller for wrap so I got a roll of 36g which is (imo) perfect. I have 1500' of 40g and it's fun, but I still prefer 36g SS 316l.

Here's my advice.

Wire-

You're going to waste wrap wire if you want to progress past fused claptons. Nothing wrong with staying with FC's mind you. I still use it even when I have alien wire and staggered framed staple wire laying around. So I recommend getting 100' rolls of 24g, 28g and 30g. Then stock up on 36g (or 38g) wrap wire.

Do yourself a favor and buy online. I use kbee wire because it's been consistent for me and it's incredibly cheap. They sell packs in different sizes too. If you decide to buy from them don't forget to look at the wholesale page. It's not really wholesale just really cheap because they are selling you quantity. I'd get a variety pack from their regular page and wrap from the wholesale page.

Deciding on what alloy/metal to get can be tricky. I have SS, Kanthal and NiCh80. Love the ramp on the SS and Ni, but the resistance is really low. After some fiddling around you'll know what to build with if you have a target resistance in mind. Us an app to help you. Since I'm moving away from regulated mods and on to tube and squonk mechs I'm more mindful of resistance. Sometimes I get away with all SS depending on the atty, other times I need to use Kanthal cores and SS or Ni wrap. I enjoy taking macro shots of my coils so I wrap with SS and Ni since they turn beautiful colors and don't really do much to the overall resistance.

Builds-

Learn to clapton with your eyes closed. Literally. It's really easy once it clicks and you'll be looking at faster drills because it gets tedious with a single core.

After you understand how to clapton a single core, try a two core fused clapton. These are easy because, if you have your drill and swivels set up properly, it'll clapton about the same as a single core. It'll probably twist a little but that won't mess anything up.

That's when things get tricky. I think I started with 4 cores after doing a single 1 core clapton and that's an exercise in patience! Took me all night to reel off a decent length of wire, and only then did I realize that it was basically useless since the resistance was so low.

Once you get some experience with fused claptons give the Alien wire a shot. Believe me when I tell you, it's all in the setup and it'll all click if you get the setup right. We'll, expect to practice a little, but it's easy once you get it. Easy not like, I've climbed everest 10 times, now it's easy, more like, I stepped up on that curb 10 times, now it's easy. Not sure if that makes sense at all. I'm tired.

Good luck!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Shaulisbvape

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
I started with 24g just messing around twisting. Then I bought a roll of 26g, 27g, 28g, 30g. I quickly realized that I needed smaller for wrap so I got a roll of 36g which is (imo) perfect. I have 1500' of 40g and it's fun, but I still prefer 36g SS 316l.

Here's my advice.

Wire-

You're going to waste wrap wire if you want to progress past fused claptons. Nothing wrong with staying with FC's mind you. I still use it even when I have alien wire and staggered framed staple wire laying around. So I recommend getting 100' rolls of 24g, 28g and 30g. Then stock up on 36g (or 38g) wrap wire.

Do yourself a favor and buy online. I use kbee wire because it's been consistent for me and it's incredibly cheap. They sell packs in different sizes too. If you decide to buy from them don't forget to look at the wholesale page. It's not really wholesale just really cheap because they are selling you quantity. I'd get a variety pack from their regular page and wrap from the wholesale page.

Deciding on what alloy/metal to get can be tricky. I have SS, Kanthal and NiCh80. Love the ramp on the SS and Ni, but the resistance is really low. After some fiddling around you'll know what to build with if you have a target resistance in mind. Us an app to help you. Since I'm moving away from regulated mods and on to tube and squonk mechs I'm more mindful of resistance. Sometimes I get away with all SS depending on the atty, other times I need to use Kanthal cores and SS or Ni wrap. I enjoy taking macro shots of my coils so I wrap with SS and Ni since they turn beautiful colors and don't really do much to the overall resistance.

Builds-

Learn to clapton with your eyes closed. Literally. It's really easy once it clicks and you'll be looking at faster drills because it gets tedious with a single core.

After you understand how to clapton a single core, try a two core fused clapton. These are easy because, if you have your drill and swivels set up properly, it'll clapton about the same as a single core. It'll probably twist a little but that won't mess anything up.

That's when things get tricky. I think I started with 4 cores after doing a single 1 core clapton and that's an exercise in patience! Took me all night to reel off a decent length of wire, and only then did I realize that it was basically useless since the resistance was so low.

Once you get some experience with fused claptons give the Alien wire a shot. Believe me when I tell you, it's all in the setup and it'll all click if you get the setup right. We'll, expect to practice a little, but it's easy once you get it. Easy not like, I've climbed everest 10 times, now it's easy, more like, I stepped up on that curb 10 times, now it's easy. Not sure if that makes sense at all. I'm tired.

Good luck!

Makes sense to me practice, explore different material. And that it' not really all that hard. Thanks! To coil building i will go.

Shaulisbvape

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
So can I use kanthal for wraps or just cores? Or do i need to use ss or Ni Going to order something I bought these Demon Killer muli pack thing to see what I like. And I believe they suck cause when I use them my juice taste funky. Really want to get away from these pre built type tanks. Save money and I know I will always have a coil for my favorite tank unlike these others

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So can I use kanthal for wraps or just cores? Or do i need to use ss or Ni Going to order something I bought these Demon Killer muli pack thing to see what I like. And I believe they suck cause when I use them my juice taste funky. Really want to get away from these pre built type tanks. Save money and I know I will always have a coil for my favorite tank unlike these others
I think most people wrap with n80 for the ramp up time. Faster than kanthal. I know stainless steel is bit it has a lower ohm to it also. I'm not sure how n80 is though I've never used it. I like stainless steel though

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
SS looks overall the coolest, but performs the shittiest. Once you heat em to where they have that black look they suck and taste terrible. I can flash n dunk Nichrome 5 or 6 times. Honestly Nichrome is good until it won't work. You can use it till the fucking wheels fall off. Kanthal gets that Rusty shit after a while, but still lasts longer than SS imo. I know people are going to feel a certain way and that's cool. This is just my opinion. You like what you like. Who's to tell you any different. Not me.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I've had twisted/clapton wires in my favorite tank for 4 months now - FOUR MONTHS! 28awg kanthal wrapped in 38awg kanthal, twisted, so two single core claptons twisted. 0.5 ohms or so - Coil still looks good as new after a clean, still tastes great too. Ideal for a regulated mod, but usable on a series mechanical, too. No spitting whether I use 50 watts or 100, seriously, perfect. Bought it on FT actually, called a Hoffa coil, but should be easy to make I guess...?

- FOUR MONTHS!

Last edited:

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
SS looks overall the coolest, but performs the shittiest. Once you heat em to where they have that black look they suck and taste terrible. I can flash n dunk Nichrome 5 or 6 times. Honestly Nichrome is good until it won't work. You can use it till the fucking wheels fall off. Kanthal gets that Rusty shit after a while, but still lasts longer than SS imo. I know people are going to feel a certain way and that's cool. This is just my opinion. You like what you like. Who's to tell you any different. Not me.

I don't think I've ever seen rusty stuff on any of my coils...doesn't mean it can't happen though I guess

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Stainless steel you don't heat glowing red. The best way is to get to a dark room and pulse them at low wattage until lightly glowing. Basically only so to work out hot spots and that's it. You really want to try and keep the colors but just past them back to silver is ok. Advancedvapesuply has a video on pulsing stainless.

Try it that way before you dismiss stainless and if you still don't like it then fine but it sounds like you are heating them up way too much.

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I keep them blue, or like mentioned, just back to the natural gray. I don't get weird flavor from SS, but other people don't get weird flavor from NiCh like I do so who knows. All I know is that I've been eating off of various alloys of SS since birth and I still haven't grown a third arm. I mean, with my luck I ain't saying it won't happen tomorrow... Just hasn't happened yet...

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I keep them blue, or like mentioned, just back to the natural gray. I don't get weird flavor from SS, but other people don't get weird flavor from NiCh like I do so who knows. All I know is that I've been eating off of various alloys of SS since birth and I still haven't grown a third arm. I mean, with my luck I ain't saying it won't happen tomorrow... Just hasn't happened yet...

I know you said it as a joke but eating off of it is different than vaping. They say that stainless and nickel and something else I think releases off toxic fumes which heated to a certain point. So if you heat that stainless spoon to 1000f and then eat the green ball peas you might grow an extra head.

VU Sponsors