Become a Patron!

New to DIY, question about fruit mixes

CrazyCatLady

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
First, I want to say, thank you for all the great info here at vu. You all gave me the confidence to start making my own e-juice.

I love fruit and candy flavors, but I don't like bakery flavors. I avoid milk and cream flavors because of food allergies, and I've had issues with them when vaping premade juices. I also avoid coconut for the same reason.

Does anyone know what goes well with fruit and/or candy flavors besides creams, coconut or bakery flavors? I want to add something more to them, but not sure where to start. I love to cook and explore new flavors, and I've started doing the same with my juice. However, I feel like it's missing something.

I've consdered adding a nut flavor, like almond to add some interest (I use almond milk and cashew milk in cooking. It does add a bit of flavor and creamyness to food, but not sure how the nut flavor would transfer to vaping). Anyone familer with nut flavorings?

I'll be placing another order at BCV in a couple days and looking for suggestions and enablers.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
LOL, you found the right bunch of people.

IME, FA Almond does give that bit of creaminess, or oomph, and pairs very well with fruits, as does Marzipan. TFA, FA, INW and Caps all make some good flavors. I prefer FA for nut flavors.

Dead Gummy Worm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Gummy is a good one :D (one of my favs to add) Hard Candy is another flavor layer to add, sour is another layer that can be added... you already mentioned dem nutz so no need to mention :D All but one of my 16 diy flavors in stock are flavor and of the 16 only 3 have Sweet Cream added, all others are multiple fruit flavor mixes, with things like gummy and complimenting fruits.

CrazyCatLady

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
LOL, you found the right bunch of people.

IME, FA Almond does give that bit of creaminess, or oomph, and pairs very well with fruits, as does Marzipan. TFA, FA, INW and Caps all make some good flavors. I prefer FA for nut flavors.

Thanks for the quick response! I stared diy for the same reason I cook at home most of the time; when I know what is in a recipe, I won't end up with an unexpected allergic reaction.

I will add the fa almond to my list.

CrazyCatLady

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Gummy is a good one :D (one of my favs to add) Hard Candy is another flavor layer to add, sour is another layer that can be added... you already mentioned dem nutz so no need to mention :D All but one of my 16 diy flavors in stock are flavor and of the 16 only 3 have Sweet Cream added, all others are multiple fruit flavor mixes, with things like gummy and complimenting fruits.

I have gummy, but haven't played with it much. Waiting for more bottles to arrive. Hard candy sounds great....

UPS truck just arrived! I have bottles! Time to mix more stuff!

Dead Gummy Worm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I have gummy, but haven't played with it much. Waiting for more bottles to arrive. Hard candy sounds great....

UPS truck just arrived! I have bottles! Time to mix more stuff!
I use them as a backup flavor, some use it as the main flavor then the fruit as the backup some use it half and half, it took me years to be able to mix without a recipe and be able to create something new that i like. My most recent success that i LOVE is my cherry limeade mmmmmmmmmmm so yummy that and i couldnt really find any recipes for cherry limeade :D Knowing what % of concentrates you prefer from the various manufacturers is key in making good juice even when working from a recipe. My personal Flavor makers are TFA and FW

CrazyCatLady

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use them as a backup flavor, some use it as the main flavor then the fruit as the backup some use it half and half, it took me years to be able to mix without a recipe and be able to create something new that i like. My most recent success that i LOVE is my cherry limeade mmmmmmmmmmm so yummy that and i couldnt really find any recipes for cherry limeade :D Knowing what % of concentrates you prefer from the various manufacturers is key in making good juice even when working from a recipe. My personal Flavor makers are TFA and FW

Cherry limeade sounds great...mind posting the recipe?

I have been using other peoples recipes to start, but then the cook in me starts to tinker with them. I'm still testing percentages of some of the flavors I have. Also, it's hard to find recipes for fruits without creams. Either that, or I'm looking in the wrong places.

When I bought premade juices, I'd tinker with them too by mixing 2 or 3 different flavors together. Otherwise, the juice was too bland. Since I quit the stinkies, I've realized how much I love flavor!

Dead Gummy Worm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Cherry limeade sounds great...mind posting the recipe?

I have been using other peoples recipes to start, but then the cook in me starts to tinker with them. I'm still testing percentages of some of the flavors I have. Also, it's hard to find recipes for fruits without creams. Either that, or I'm looking in the wrong places.

When I bought premade juices, I'd tinker with them too by mixing 2 or 3 different flavors together. Otherwise, the juice was too bland. Since I quit the stinkies, I've realized how much I love flavor!
Off hand i dont recall the exact percentages, its on my pc in the living room. BUT i know it had FW Wild Cherry and TFA Lemon Lime II (i think it was II, id have to look) IF i had to guess i would imagine i used 7.5-8% of each and 0.5% EM

CrazyCatLady

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Off hand i dont recall the exact percentages, its on my pc in the living room. BUT i know it had FW Wild Cherry and TFA Lemon Lime II (i think it was II, id have to look) IF i had to guess i would imagine i used 7.5-8% of each and 0.5% EM

Looks great! I'll have to try it when my next flavor order comes in. Thanks!

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Does anyone know what goes well with fruit and/or candy flavors besides creams, coconut or bakery flavors?

1-2% INW Shisha Vanilla, and other "Vanillas", go well with fruits too, especially INW Shisha Strawberry:D
You can add 0.5-1% INW Biscuit to give it a bit of a twist.
1% FA Marshmallow and/or 1% FA Meringue can add some sweetness and body.
CAP Vanilla Custard v1 and TFA Cheesecake Graham are a couple more ideas.
TFA and CAP Vanilla Bean Ice Cream is good with most fruits also; unless you're looking for "tartness".
As long as you keep the amounts used at the low end it shouldn't turn the fruits into "bakery types".
Like spices used in cooking you just use a pinch of this and that.
I suspect once you get into DIY and making things that are not over flavored, like the many vendor juices are, you may even gravitate towards trying some
DIY bakery stuff.

CrazyCatLady

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
1-2% INW Shisha Vanilla, and other "Vanillas", go well with fruits too, especially INW Shisha Strawberry:D
You can add 0.5-1% INW Biscuit to give it a bit of a twist.
1% FA Marshmallow and/or 1% FA Meringue can add some sweetness and body.
CAP Vanilla Custard v1 and TFA Cheesecake Graham are a couple more ideas.
TFA and CAP Vanilla Bean Ice Cream is good with most fruits also; unless you're looking for "tartness".
As long as you keep the amounts used at the low end it shouldn't turn the fruits into "bakery types".
Like spices used in cooking you just use a pinch of this and that.
I suspect once you get into DIY and making things that are not over flavored, like the many vendor juices are, you may even gravitate towards trying some
DIY bakery stuff.

I need to avoid the custard and ice cream, but vanillas sounds interesting. I'll explore those. I may look into bakery flavors later, but right now, not so much. I never had a good experience with them.

However, when I think of graham crackers, i think of peanut butter....I wonder how that would vape? Maybe add a little toasted marshmallow?

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
F
Does anyone know what goes well with fruit and/or candy flavors besides creams, coconut or bakery flavors?
<Snip>
Anyone familer with nut flavorings?

2.4% INW Peanut
2.8% INW Banana

With the creaminess of the INW Banana, I like just plain old INW Peanuts. I've tried this with various Peanut Butter flavors and it's just too creamy for me. If you already have TPA Ripe Banana, you can substitute that.

If you have some FW Bacon...Think Elvis sandwich https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peanut_butter,_banana_and_bacon_sandwich

I mostly, but not always, just go vegetarian with the mix.:rolleyes:

CAUTION: Please be aware of your current personal situation when vaping this juice! (Many people break out in song :yes:)

Ron
---
"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."- Ansel Adams

CrazyCatLady

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
2.4% INW Peanut
2.8% INW Banana

With the creaminess of the INW Banana, I like just plain old INW Peanuts. I've tried this with various Peanut Butter flavors and it's just too creamy for me. If you already have TPA Ripe Banana, you can substitute that.

If you have some FW Bacon...Think Elvis sandwich https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peanut_butter,_banana_and_bacon_sandwich

I mostly, but not always, just go vegetarian with the mix.:rolleyes:

CAUTION: Please be aware of your current personal situation when vaping this juice! (Many people break out in song :yes:)

Ron
---
"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."- Ansel Adams

Sounds interesting. Might have to try that.

CrazyCatLady

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Some like PB vapes but unfortunately I'm not one of them

Was this from the vendor juices you've tried?

Yes, it was vendor juices, could be they had creams of some kind in them. I'll need to do a lot of research on them before trying them. If it's something that would normally contain dairy (milk, butter, etc.), I need to avoid it because of a dairy allergy. I've had reactions ranging from a rash, to heartburn, to asthma attacks and bronchitis. I was diagnosed with mild intermittent asthma many years ago, but it's only triggered by allergens, and I usually only get an attack every couple of years. It took me a little while to figure out it's the flavors I was vaping and not vaping itself that was causing the problems.

I know they are artificial flavors, but my body hasn't figured that out yet. So, for right now, it's easier and healthier for me to avoid them. I never realized how many foods have milk in them until I discovered about 7 years ago that I had developed an allergy to dairy. I still miss cheescake!

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yes, it was vendor juices, could be they had creams of some kind in them.

Could be creams or maybe even some unknown thing being used in those juices.
Might even be something like Acetoin of Diacetyl used in many flavors,
although you would have had some problems show up if you were smoking before vaping I would think.
Good, at least you found out what was causing the problems anyway.

CrazyCatLady

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Could be creams or maybe even some unknown thing being used in those juices.
Might even be something like Acetoin of Diacetyl used in many flavors,
although you would have had some problems show up if you were smoking before vaping I would think.
Good, at least you found out what was causing the problems anyway.

I was a smoker for 25 years, and didn't have the allergy issues with cigarettes like I've had with some vendor juices. Since I stared avoiding creams and bakery flavors, I've felt a lot better and the mysterious allergy attacks stopped.

Plain fruits are good, but that's mostly what I would end up with from vendors. Personally, I always thought they were missing something, so I would mix different ones together. That helped, but I was getting burnt out on them. That's why I started looking into making my own.

I know I keep comparing this to cooking, however when my dairy allergy was dicovered, I had to relearn how to cook without milk, cheese and butter. After many attempts, I finally created a dairy-free ranch dressing that's as good as or better than the bottled stuff. I also created a dairy-free alfredo sauce. Others have told me they didn't realize it was dairy free until I told them. Still haven't dicovered a good cream cheese replacement, but I'm still trying.

I believe the same thing is possible with e-juice. However, I don't have the $$ to try every flavor on the market, so I'm asking the more experienced mixers for suggestions before putting in my next flavor order. I love experimenting with flavors and recipies. Some I like and some I don't. Still working on tweaking a few. But, most recipes I've found have some sort of cream or buttery/creamy bakery flavors included. I'm looking for alternatives. I'd loved to have that creamy flavor without the cream, for example. Or something else to take it to the next level.

Sorry for my rambling. Now, that you know more about me then you wanted...lol, any additional suggestions?

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I was a smoker for 25 years, and didn't have the allergy issues with cigarettes like I've had with some vendor juices. Since I stared avoiding creams and bakery flavors, I've felt a lot better and the mysterious allergy attacks stopped.

Quite interesting...

I'd imagine Yogurts would be off limits too.

Good fruits I like are:

2% INW Shisha Strawberry
2% INW WC Cherimoya
2% INW Peach
2% INW Mango or 5% CAP Sweet Mango
5% TFA Blueberry Wild or Blueberry Extra, or mix both at 2.5% each
1.6% FE Blackberry (Flavor Express at ECX only)
5% CAP Sweet Tangerine
2% FA Fuji Apple
2-3% FA Lemon Sicily
2% FA Pomagranate
2% FA Passion Fruit

Just starting points to try out
Probably missed a few...

If you can add 1% FA Marshmallow + 1% FA Meringue without having any problems, they do add
a bit of sweetness and body.
I like to use 1% INW Shisha Vanilla with most of these too.
And 1% INW Biscuit, but that may be pushing it for you.

Just be sure to buy the smaller sized flavoring bottles on the questionable ones till you test them out.
Unfortunately only by eventually testing flavors you'll find out the bad ones but no rush, lol.

Last edited:

CrazyCatLady

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Quite interesting...

I'd imagine Yogurts would be off limits too.

Good fruits I like are:

2% INW Shisha Strawberry
2% INW WC Cherimoya
2% INW Peach
2% INW Mango or 5% CAP Sweet Mango
5% TFA Blueberry Wild or Blueberry Extra, or mix both at 2.5% each
1.6% FE Blackberry (Flavor Express at ECX only)
5% CAP Sweet Tangerine
2% FA Fuji Apple
2-3% FA Lemon Sicily
2% FA Pomagranate
2% FA Passion Fruit

Just starting points to try out
Probably missed a few...

If you can add 1% FA Marshmallow + 1% FA Meringue without having any problems, they do add
a bit of sweetness and body.
I like to use 1% INW Shisha Vanilla with most of these too.
And 1% INW Biscuit, but that may be pushing it for you.

Just be sure to buy the smaller sized flavoring bottles on the questionable ones till you test them out.
Unfortunately only by eventually testing flavors you'll find out the bad ones but no rush, lol.

What is a Cherimoya?

Pomegranate and passion fruit sound like good additions. I've used marshmallow without a problem. I'll add meringue to my list. I'll wait until later to try biscuit.

Thanks!

CrazyCatLady

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
"Cherimoya, the most delicious fruit known to men."-Mark Twain

Are you trying to tell us you don't have a Cherimoya tree growing in your backyard? :facepalm:

Ron

Lol, nope, unfortunately, it won't grow in my area. But sounds like an interesting fruit. It's been added to my ever growing cart. Currently I have 31 new flavors in there. Might add a couple more before submitting my order.

Thank you everyone for the assistance. I hope I haven't been too much of a pain. I now have a few ideas on what to add to the basic berry and citrus flavors from my first order. Hopefully, I'll be able to give back by posting some new recipies soon.

If anyone has any further suggestons, please let me know.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
What is a Cherimoya?

It's a very unique flavor compared to the regular fruit flavors.
Some get a strawberry taste, or banana, or apple, but it seems elusive and hard to nail down sometimes.
Kind of like a Chameleon constantly changing colors.
Some call it a Custard Apple but the term is used more to describe the texture, well at least the Custard part anyway.
Never had a real one myself and only learned it from here.

Some others I forgot to mention:
FA Citrus Mix (think that's what it's called, but it's a Lemon/Lime mixture)
FA Lime CP and Lime Tahiti
Some of the Gummy Bear types aren't bad either

All the Cherry flavors I've tried taste like cough syrup, FA Black Cherry is tolerable tho.
Raspberry is another I don't like but some others do.
Same for Kiwi & Dragon Fruit.

But it gives you a few more fruit ideas anyway.

CrazyCatLady

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's a very unique flavor compared to the regular fruit flavors.
Some get a strawberry taste, or banana, or apple, but it seems elusive and hard to nail down sometimes.
Kind of like a Chameleon constantly changing colors.
Some call it a Custard Apple but the term is used more to describe the texture, well at least the Custard part anyway.
Never had a real one myself and only learned it from here.

Some others I forgot to mention:
FA Citrus Mix (think that's what it's called, but it's a Lemon/Lime mixture)
FA Lime CP and Lime Tahiti
Some of the Gummy Bear types aren't bad either

All the Cherry flavors I've tried taste like cough syrup, FA Black Cherry is tolerable tho.
Raspberry is another I don't like but some others do.
Same for Kiwi & Dragon Fruit.

But it gives you a few more fruit ideas anyway.

Thanks so much for your help!

First, I want to say, thank you for all the great info here at vu. You all gave me the confidence to start making my own e-juice.

I love fruit and candy flavors, but I don't like bakery flavors. I avoid milk and cream flavors because of food allergies, and I've had issues with them when vaping premade juices. I also avoid coconut for the same reason.

Does anyone know what goes well with fruit and/or candy flavors besides creams, coconut or bakery flavors? I want to add something more to them, but not sure where to start. I love to cook and explore new flavors, and I've started doing the same with my juice. However, I feel like it's missing something.

I've consdered adding a nut flavor, like almond to add some interest (I use almond milk and cashew milk in cooking. It does add a bit of flavor and creamyness to food, but not sure how the nut flavor would transfer to vaping). Anyone familer with nut flavorings?

I'll be placing another order at BCV in a couple days and looking for suggestions and enablers.

First off... Starting mixing with fruits is without a doubt the best way to start mixing. So your already saving yourself a lot of stress not getting into bakeries. So rather than give your recipes or give you ideas I'm going to give you a list of common flavours added to fruit mixs as enhancers rather than flavours. I will start with obvious ones.
1. Mentol- in very small amounts will give a crisp bite to your fruits.

2. Ethyl maltol- use very very very small amount to round off you mix. Will help the flavours fell more blended.

3. Flavor arts. Bitter wizard and FA sour. Self explanatory really.

OK now to the more experienced stuff.

4. Flavour Apprentice Dragon fruit. Mostly used with berry mixs as it has a property of enhancing the flavour. Well worth adding 0.75%-1% in anything Strawberry.

5.capella pear with stevie.
In small amounts will give your fruits a juicy wet vape. Balanced to not get the pear flavour to come through will not be to much of a challenge.

6.flavor West national Orange.
Small amounts will make your fruit taste like a fruit juice. But this one is tricky. The orange likes to carry over into the final vape

7.Flavor Arts marshmallow
Used alot in fruit flavours surprisingly to give a slight fuller mouth full and sweatness when you vape. Keep this one low 0.50%—0.75%

8. Any brand of milk flavor.
You would be surprised what this can do. It is noticeable as a flavour but gives fruit a milky soft vape. Melon milk is a good example of this. Great E liquid.

9. Flavour Arts Bilberry.
Used to enhance mostly berry flavours.
Strawberry seems to be the most common culprit.

10.any meringue flavor.
A small amount will go a long g way in fruit. Massively increasing sweetness and rounding your flavours off nicely. 1% is a good place to start. And drop or rise to taste.

OK.... I know I said I would not give you a recipe but here is I good one to play with. Change it up and make your own.

Kandi hed honeydew melon 6%
Kandi he'd watermelon 4%
Capela pear with Steve 1%
Fa marshmallow 1.25%
Flaver West milk 1.50%
Ethol Maltol 1 drop per 10ml

Ohh and before I leave you to absorb all that.
You should definitely try some lemonade flavours with your fruits. Very refreshing. And obviously if your after a mix that resembles I shop brought liquid then dump a ton of sweetener in there. Other than that my friend.... Enjoy and happy vaping

Last edited:

CrazyCatLady

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
First off... Starting mixing with fruits is without a doubt the best way to start mixing. So your already saving yourself a lot of stress not getting into bakeries. So rather than give your recipes or give you ideas I'm going to give you a list of common flavours added to fruit mixs as enhancers rather than flavours. I will start with obvious ones.
1. Mentol- in very small amounts will give a crisp bite to your fruits.

2. Ethyl maltol- use very very very small amount to round off you mix. Will help the flavours fell more blended.

3. Flavor arts. Bitter wizard and FA sour. Self explanatory really.

OK now to the more experienced stuff.

4. Flavour Apprentice Dragon fruit. Mostly used with berry mixs as it has a property of enhancing the flavour. Well worth adding 0.75%-1% in anything Strawberry.

5.capella pear with stevie.
In small amounts will give your fruits a juicy wet vape. Balanced to not get the pear flavour to come through will not be to much of a challenge.

6.flavor West national Orange.
Small amounts will make your fruit taste like a fruit juice. But this one is tricky. The orange likes to carry over into the final vape

7.Flavor Arts marshmallow
Used alot in fruit flavours surprisingly to give a slight fuller mouth full and sweatness when you vape. Keep this one low 0.50%—0.75%

8. Any brand of milk flavor.
You would be surprised what this can do. It is noticeable as a flavour but gives fruit a milky soft vape. Melon milk is a good example of this. Great E liquid.

9. Flavour Arts Bilberry.
Used to enhance mostly berry flavours.
Strawberry seems to be the most common culprit.

10.any meringue flavor.
A small amount will go a long g way in fruit. Massively increasing sweetness and rounding your flavours off nicely. 1% is a good place to start. And drop or rise to taste.

OK.... I know I said I would not give you a recipe but here is I good one to play with. Change it up and make your own.

Kandi hed honeydew melon 6%
Kandi he'd watermelon 4%
Capela pear with Steve 1%
Fa marshmallow 1.25%
Flaver West milk 1.50%
Ethol Maltol 1 drop per 10ml

Ohh and before I leave you to absorb all that.
You should definitely try some lemonade flavours with your fruits. Very refreshing. And obviously if your after a mix that resembles I shop brought liquid then dump a ton of sweetener in there. Other than that my friend.... Enjoy and happy vaping

Wow, thanks for all the info! Looks like I may need to put another order in.

1. Don't really like menthol, but I have tried TFA koolada in a recipe. Not too thrilled with it, but will try it again after it steeps.

2. Just started playing with em. Seems to work very well with fruit mixes.

3. I have FA sour, but haven't tried it in a mix yet. Adding bitter wizard to my cart.

4. I've discoved, that I love TFA dragonfruit vapes. I've never had a real dragonfruit, but love the flavor. I need to try it with strawberries. Speaking of strawberries, I'm having trouble tasting them. They smell amazing, but there's no flavor when vaped. I'll keep playing with the percentages. I love strawberries.

5 & 6. Definitely adding these to my cart.

7. Loving the marshmallow effect and touch of sweetness it adds.

8. I'd love to add milk, but can't because of allergies. I'm trying a couple different things to add the creamyness without adding milks or creams. I tried rainbow sherbet (although I know the real stuff does have a small amount of dairy in it), and had an allergic reaction to it. However, I am having some luck with TFA cream soda (cream soda is a vanilla flavor with cream of tarter...dairy free). I'm currently working on an orange cream soda vape.

9. I'll try that with strawberry. Maybe that will help me taste it.

10. I love the flavor of meringue, and currently have FA version. It does add sweetness, but not a true meringue flavor. Are their any meringues that have a true meringue cookie flavor?

Thanks for the recipe, I'll play with it and see if I can find a sub for the milk.

I love lemon flavors!

I'm trying to avoid the artificial sweeteners (dont like the aftertaste), but considering picking up some stevia. Some recipes need a little more sweetness added, but not to the level of the premium juices.

Thanks again for all the great info and welcome to VU!

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
FA lemon is my favorite lemon that doesn't taste like pledge lol. I totally hear you on tfa dragonfruit. I love that stuff.

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk

Your welcome.

I can understand not being a huge fan of menthol.
A E-liquid that uses it really well with fruit is Fantasi grape. It's taste just like grape Fanta. They do an orange one to that tastes exactly like Fanta. Anyway... You say your struggling with Strawberry. What Strawberrys do you have? Strawberry for me.... Is a nightmare. I have tried every Strawberry there is and non of them are right in my opinion. They all smell amazing. TPA Strawberry ripe smells like a fresh punnet of Strawberrys, mouthwatering. Then you mix it and realise that the flavour is nothing like how you imagined it to be. I recommend having a look at diyordievaping.com, Strawberry stone base. Strawberry needs a few Strawberrys blended to get a half decent result. I tent to use a little mango, kiwi or dragon fruit in to wake it up a bit. But to be honest with you. After a year of trying to get a decent fresh Strawberry and failing... I just stay away from it. I might use it as a supporting flavour or to bring another dimension to a melon mix or blueberry mix. But other than that my friend, Strawberry gets on my tits.

I don't know how new you are to mixing...
But if I could recommend anything it. Would be this.

Get melon flavours, grape, and kiwi.

Gala, cantaloupe and watermelon are great to build off. And you can't go wrong with them. I don't even bother with a scale or calculator when mixing melon. I just wing it, always comes out perfect. Grape and kiwi are again Amazing to build off. Rarely will you ever go wrong with these. Most fruit E juices you buy from the shop with be a variation or mix of these. Just because there so easy

Last edited:

CrazyCatLady

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Your welcome.

A E-liquid that uses it really well with fruit is Fantasi grape. It's taste just like grape Fanta. They do an orange one to that tastes exactly like Fanta. Anyway... You say your struggling with Strawberry. What Strawberrys do you have? Strawberry for me.... Is a nightmare. I have tried every Strawberry there is and non of them are right in my opinion. They all smell amazing. TPA Strawberry ripe smells like a fresh punnet of Strawberrys, mouthwatering. Then you mix it and realise that the flavour is nothing like how you imagined it to be. I recommend having a look at diyordievaping.com, Strawberry stone base. Strawberry needs a few Strawberrys blended to get a half decent result. I tent to use a little mango, kiwi or dragon fruit in to wake it up a bit. But to be honest with you. After a year of trying to get a decent fresh Strawberry and failing... I just stay away from it. I might use it as a supporting flavour or to bring another dimension to a melon mix or blueberry mix. But other than that my friend, Strawberry gets on my tits.

I have TFA strawberry ripe, TFA strawberry, FA strawberry, and shisha strawberry. I've tried different combinations and different percentages. It smells wonderful, but no taste. I'll check out that site, after I get home tomorrow. I'm working out of town at a sci-fi convention.

Also, I've only started diy about a month ago. So I'm still learning, trying different flavors and experimenting with different combinations.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your welcome.

I don't know how new you are to mixing...
But if I could recommend anything it. Would be this.

Get melon flavours, grape, and kiwi.

Gala, cantaloupe and watermelon are great to build off. And you can't go wrong with them. I don't even bother with a scale or calculator when mixing melon. I just wing it, always comes out perfect. Grape and kiwi are again Amazing to build off. Rarely will you ever go wrong with these. Most fruit E juices you buy from the shop with be a variation or mix of these. Just because there so easy

I know exactly how you feel. Perhaps our expectations are too high? Perhaps our expectations are unrealistic? I suspect I have an ideal of what it should be like but is it possible? I just recently tried Hansen strawberry and it's the best yet. However, it still falls short. I've got Shisha strawberry on the way so maybe...

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have TFA strawberry ripe, TFA strawberry, FA strawberry, and shisha strawberry. I've tried different combinations and different percentages. It smells wonderful, but no taste. I'll check out that site, after I get home tomorrow. I'm working out of town at a sci-fi convention.

Also, I've only started diy about a month ago. So I'm still learning, trying different flavors and experimenting with different combinations.

You may have the same problem as @AndriaD
She needs to use something like 14% Shisha SB to taste it.
And she has the recipe on her blog here I think.
If nothing else has worked you've got nothing to loose by trying it at least:D.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You may have the same problem as @AndriaD
She needs to use something like 14% Shisha SB to taste it.
And she has the recipe on her blog here I think.
If nothing else has worked you've got nothing to loose by trying it at least:D.

Yeah the only one I can actually taste is shisha strawberry, but I still have to use 14.5%; started out at 16% when I was just learning DIY, only off cigarettes about 5 months at that point. Some of us just have a lot more difficulty regaining our sense of taste, after decades of smoking, and I am definitely one of those.

If you look down below my sig, where it says how long I've been smoke-free, where it says "My BEST Recipes (Blog)", that's where my strawberry and cream recipe is found; I post both my original, very-high-percentages recipe, along with my most recent iteration. I might suggest trying the most recent first, since it's still a bit over 25% flavoring, but if you already know that you have a hard time tasting your vape, you might be better off trying out the original recipe first. Careful, though... it'll spoil ya. :D And it gunks like a mofo, too. :facepalm: But SO WORTH IT! ;)

Andria

CrazyCatLady

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah the only one I can actually taste is shisha strawberry, but I still have to use 14.5%; started out at 16% when I was just learning DIY, only off cigarettes about 5 months at that point. Some of us just have a lot more difficulty regaining our sense of taste, after decades of smoking, and I am definitely one of those.

If you look down below my sig, where it says how long I've been smoke-free, where it says "My BEST Recipes (Blog)", that's where my strawberry and cream recipe is found; I post both my original, very-high-percentages recipe, along with my most recent iteration. I might suggest trying the most recent first, since it's still a bit over 25% flavoring, but if you already know that you have a hard time tasting your vape, you might be better off trying out the original recipe first. Careful, though... it'll spoil ya. :D And it gunks like a mofo, too. :facepalm: But SO WORTH IT! ;)

Andria

I've tried shisha strawberry at 3%, 5% and 7%, so far. I've also mixed it with some of the other strawberries I have. Knowing that I can raise the percentage up, without a chemical flavor is a big help! I will keep trying and plan to do more mixing tomorrow. I'll check out your recipe.

I really love strawberry, but I have other flavors to fall back on until I get a strawberry recipe I can taste. I enjoy experimenting with all the different flavors! After 1 month of diy, I already have about 60 flavors, and just ordered 15 more. My hubby thinks I'm going overboard...he says I need an interVAPEtion. Lol. (Actually, he's very supportive of anything that will keep me off cigarettes, and vaping is the first thing that has worked!)

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've tried shisha strawberry at 3%, 5% and 7%, so far. I've also mixed it with some of the other strawberries I have. Knowing that I can raise the percentage up, without a chemical flavor is a big help! I will keep trying and plan to do more mixing tomorrow. I'll check out your recipe.

I really love strawberry, but I have other flavors to fall back on until I get a strawberry recipe I can taste. I enjoy experimenting with all the different flavors! After 1 month of diy, I already have about 60 flavors, and just ordered 15 more. My hubby thinks I'm going overboard...he says I need an interVAPEtion. Lol. (Actually, he's very supportive of anything that will keep me off cigarettes, and vaping is the first thing that has worked!)

Come on in!
rabbit-hole.jpg

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

My husband's the same; he never thought I would EVER quit smoking, but since vaping actually allowed me to do just that, he's ALL FOR anything vape-related; he even urges me "go on and buy it while it's still on sale!" a lot of times, though my frugal (tightwad) nature always counsels just waiting. :D But pretty much anything I've wanted, he's had zero problems with -- all of this is so much cheaper than smoking, and doesn't make the truck smell like a dirty ashtray, either. :D

Shisha strawberry does seem to be one of the few flavors that actually CAN be boosted to what some might call irrational levels. I first tried it at 4%, couldn't taste it at all... then 8%, I could taste it, but it seemed... thin? So I said hell with it, I added the foundational flavors (creams, vanilla, and sweetener), and boosted it to 16%... and I FINALLY had an ejuice that actually had a TASTE, not just a nice smell. It's been my ADV since Dec 2014, with very few and short breaks. As my tastebuds have emerged from their coma, I've been able to reduce most of the flavors in it a little, and the sweetener a LOT! Sweetener was the one thing that made a huge difference to me, when I first started vaping -- I even added it to the juice I bought, and it really made them come alive. But in the strawberry & cream, I've gone from 2.5% sweetener, to something around .35-.4 percent.

Andria

CrazyCatLady

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My husband's the same; he never thought I would EVER quit smoking, but since vaping actually allowed me to do just that, he's ALL FOR anything vape-related; he even urges me "go on and buy it while it's still on sale!" a lot of times, though my frugal (tightwad) nature always counsels just waiting. :D But pretty much anything I've wanted, he's had zero problems with -- all of this is so much cheaper than smoking, and doesn't make the truck smell like a dirty ashtray, either. :D

Shisha strawberry does seem to be one of the few flavors that actually CAN be boosted to what some might call irrational levels. I first tried it at 4%, couldn't taste it at all... then 8%, I could taste it, but it seemed... thin? So I said hell with it, I added the foundational flavors (creams, vanilla, and sweetener), and boosted it to 16%... and I FINALLY had an ejuice that actually had a TASTE, not just a nice smell. It's been my ADV since Dec 2014, with very few and short breaks. As my tastebuds have emerged from their coma, I've been able to reduce most of the flavors in it a little, and the sweetener a LOT! Sweetener was the one thing that made a huge difference to me, when I first started vaping -- I even added it to the juice I bought, and it really made them come alive. But in the strawberry & cream, I've gone from 2.5% sweetener, to something around .35-.4 percent.

Andria

I'm not sure if it's the 25 years of smoking or allergies that have killed my taste buds. I started vaping 2.5 years ago, but it took me about a year before I quit making excuses to to buy a pack of cigarettes. Since I quit, I can taste food sooooo much better, but some vapes are tasteless or have an off taste to me. When I stated vaping, I used both a berry tobacco flavor and a cinnamon red hots flavor. After getting burnt out on both, I've had problems finding other flavors I liked. That's also when I discovered I couldn't vape creams or bakery flavors without having an allergic reaction. So, I started buying several different store bought juices and mixing them in my tank; single flavors are bland, but my options were limited. I finally got tired of the limitations and driving over an hour to a b&m every couple of weeks, so I started researching diy. Which brought me here.

I appreciate all the info I've learned here and all the help everyone given me.

VU Sponsors