Become a Patron!

New to forum. Today is 16 days off cigarettes :)

decssiz

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Good Morning. I have been reading these forums for a few days now. Figured I would introduce myself. I have been a pack to a pack and a half a day smoker since I was 15. I smoked cigarettes for 23 years. I have started a lot of things I should not have in life such as smoking. I stopped using drugs about 15 years ago and figured at least I can always drink. Drinking became very problematic and after several years of struggling I am a recovered alcoholic for over 2 years. And now its time for smoking. I have made many attempts to quit over the last few years. I tried nicotine gum. I tried smoking pipes and cigars since you don't inhale them. I tried cold turkey. I heard carrot sticks were good for cravings but I could never get them to stay lit. :) I have been very aware for a long time that my cigarette addiction was more than just a craving for nicotine. Being honest with myself I used cigarettes to calm anxiety in social situations, to relieve boredom and depression, to keep me occupied while driving, to cope with stress, sitting on the toilet to help me go :eek: to help digest after meals. The power behind the habits of my smoking had me smoking another long before any so called cravings for nicotine would happen. Of course it is easier to think its just a nicotine withdrawal than face all that. I have tried vaping several times over the last couple years. But never whole heartedly. The negative effects of smoking have been weighing on my lately. The cost ($13 a pack in NYC), my health ( feeling tired all the time, getting several colds a year all year long that sometimes never seem to go away, starting to notice breathing problems over the last few years.....) Now I am seeing all the health consequences my father has to deal with as the result of a lifetime of smoking (COPD, Diabetes, Stroke, Congestive heart failure, and who knows what else). So... I found the old mod I got last time I tried vaping while I was cleaning my place up. I figured I would give it another try. I have not had a cigarette in 16 days now. I vape pretty heavy with 3mg nic juice. If I do get a craving for a cigarette I remember what I heard once from a vaper that if they ever feel like a cigarette they just hit the vape until they don't want one anymore and that is what I am doing. Sometime at work or while around other smokers I get the desire to just bum one. Hey its only one but every time I have done that in the past it led right back to full on smoking. My sister shared with me that when that happened to her while quitting she would just tell herself that I am an adult and if I want a cigarette I can go to the store and buy a pack. Telling myself this has worked in keeping me from bumming that "just one" as just bumming one does not feel quite so much like failure to buying a pack, even though it is. So I went a little crazy buying a bunch of new mods, atomizers, juices. The mods should last me a while but the juice goes fast. Since I would also like to save money along with my health I have been reading threw the DIY juice section and just placed an order for the supplies. I hope to be able to make juice as good as the premium stuff so I can still vape like a mad man without the expense. I hope to start feeling better health wise and then maybe take another positive step for the better of my life. As of now I feel pretty good that I will be able to stay stopped with vaping and eventually plan to lower the nicotine as well. One thing I have noticed over the last week is when someone is smoking around me now it smell putrid. It in no way smells like something I would enjoy or want to be doing. Thank God! Hopefully this is the start of a much healthier and happy life for me.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Wow - thanks for sharing your story - and welcome to the Underground!

And congratulations on your growth and kicking yet another very bad addiction :cool:

Have overcome a few myself over the years, that's for sure. It took me well over 2.5 years to totally quit with vaping, so you are doing great.

Having several setups ready to vape is a very good idea also - when one doesn't seem to scratch that itch, pick up a different one and keep vaping.

And good luck on your DIY journey - once you get it down you will very likely begin to really prefer your home-juice over the expensive stuff :)

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Welcome to VU! Congrats on your decision to give up the smokes, and good luck on your vape journey

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Welcome and congratulations on quitting. Once your off the cigs for a while if you bum one it"ll taste like crap you'll put it out and think..Yuck how did I ever smoke these things.
Also welcome to the rabbit hole. Lots of good recipes in the DIY section and you'll find you can make better tasting liquids than store bought and it cost about a buck for 30ml.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Congrats on your sixteen days without the STINKIES!

Shortly, you will not longer want/need a smoke.

WELCOME TO THE UNDERGROUND!

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good Morning. I have been reading these forums for a few days now. Figured I would introduce myself. I have been a pack to a pack and a half a day smoker since I was 15. I smoked cigarettes for 23 years. I have started a lot of things I should not have in life such as smoking. I stopped using drugs about 15 years ago and figured at least I can always drink. Drinking became very problematic and after several years of struggling I am a recovered alcoholic for over 2 years. And now its time for smoking. I have made many attempts to quit over the last few years. I tried nicotine gum. I tried smoking pipes and cigars since you don't inhale them. I tried cold turkey. I heard carrot sticks were good for cravings but I could never get them to stay lit. :) I have been very aware for a long time that my cigarette addiction was more than just a craving for nicotine. Being honest with myself I used cigarettes to calm anxiety in social situations, to relieve boredom and depression, to keep me occupied while driving, to cope with stress, sitting on the toilet to help me go :eek: to help digest after meals. The power behind the habits of my smoking had me smoking another long before any so called cravings for nicotine would happen. Of course it is easier to think its just a nicotine withdrawal than face all that. I have tried vaping several times over the last couple years. But never whole heartedly. The negative effects of smoking have been weighing on my lately. The cost ($13 a pack in NYC), my health ( feeling tired all the time, getting several colds a year all year long that sometimes never seem to go away, starting to notice breathing problems over the last few years.....) Now I am seeing all the health consequences my father has to deal with as the result of a lifetime of smoking (COPD, Diabetes, Stroke, Congestive heart failure, and who knows what else). So... I found the old mod I got last time I tried vaping while I was cleaning my place up. I figured I would give it another try. I have not had a cigarette in 16 days now. I vape pretty heavy with 3mg nic juice. If I do get a craving for a cigarette I remember what I heard once from a vaper that if they ever feel like a cigarette they just hit the vape until they don't want one anymore and that is what I am doing. Sometime at work or while around other smokers I get the desire to just bum one. Hey its only one but every time I have done that in the past it led right back to full on smoking. My sister shared with me that when that happened to her while quitting she would just tell herself that I am an adult and if I want a cigarette I can go to the store and buy a pack. Telling myself this has worked in keeping me from bumming that "just one" as just bumming one does not feel quite so much like failure to buying a pack, even though it is. So I went a little crazy buying a bunch of new mods, atomizers, juices. The mods should last me a while but the juice goes fast. Since I would also like to save money along with my health I have been reading threw the DIY juice section and just placed an order for the supplies. I hope to be able to make juice as good as the premium stuff so I can still vape like a mad man without the expense. I hope to start feeling better health wise and then maybe take another positive step for the better of my life. As of now I feel pretty good that I will be able to stay stopped with vaping and eventually plan to lower the nicotine as well. One thing I have noticed over the last week is when someone is smoking around me now it smell putrid. It in no way smells like something I would enjoy or want to be doing. Thank God! Hopefully this is the start of a much healthier and happy life for me.
good luck and welcome yes getting off cigs is very hard sometimes the best thing to do let vaping envelope you if its buying mods or staring to create your own juice DIY something has to take the place of the go out and have a cig thought process even though vaping is similar it was the hardest thing most of us ever have done if you fail its ok just hit that vape more if it happens again increase your Nic keep at it

decssiz

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you for the welcome everyone. A few of you said I will eventually like the diy juice better than the premium stuff. I sure hope so. I picked up Peaches and Cream by the pound yesterday and can't put it down. I think it has to be the best juice I have tried. If I can make juice as good I will be more than happy. I use to have a cigarette as soon as I got out of bed in the mourning. It was the first thing I did every day before anything else. I don't feel the need to grab the vape as soon as I get out of bed. Some mornings I am in the car driving to work before I start using it.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got any cigarettes laying around? If so, send them to me.

If you start DIY you most certainly will make better juice, it just takes a bit of time.

Good luck.

decssiz

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Got any cigarettes laying around? If so, send them to me.

If you start DIY you most certainly will make better juice, it just takes a bit of time.

Good luck.
No dice. I even started to get rid of all my old smoking paraphernalia. Cigarette lighters, ashtrays, a roll your own machine. No need for that anymore.

decssiz

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Wow - thanks for sharing your story - and welcome to the Underground!

And congratulations on your growth and kicking yet another very bad addiction :cool:

Have overcome a few myself over the years, that's for sure. It took me well over 2.5 years to totally quit with vaping, so you are doing great.

Having several setups ready to vape is a very good idea also - when one doesn't seem to scratch that itch, pick up a different one and keep vaping.

And good luck on your DIY journey - once you get it down you will very likely begin to really prefer your home-juice over the expensive stuff :)
I have 3 mods with 3 different atomizers that I switch between. All filled with a different juice. Seems to help switching it up. Although after 16 days I can't taste anything strawberry. All the strawberry juices I have were really good at first now none of them taste right. So I'm laying of strawberry for a while.

decssiz

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
good luck and welcome yes getting off cigs is very hard sometimes the best thing to do let vaping envelope you if its buying mods or staring to create your own juice DIY something has to take the place of the go out and have a cig thought process even though vaping is similar it was the hardest thing most of us ever have done if you fail its ok just hit that vape more if it happens again increase your Nic keep at it
Buying mods, atomizers, juices and going to the local vape shop to check out new stuff has all been helping in occupying my mind. I really enjoy it all. Its like getting a new toy.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I have 3 mods with 3 different atomizers that I switch between. All filled with a different juice. Seems to help switching it up. Although after 16 days I can't taste anything strawberry. All the strawberry juices I have were really good at first now none of them taste right. So I'm laying of strawberry for a while.

Yeah, my tastebuds went buzerko that first several months - great one day, can't taste the next, craving a taste, liking it, then hating it - it happens to most of us when we finally quit

decssiz

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, my tastebuds went buzerko that first several months - great one day, can't taste the next, craving a taste, liking it, then hating it - it happens to most of us when we finally quit
Yeah I guess that's what is happening. I was at the vape shop trying juice yesterday. They have all the samples set up in ijust2 tanks so it is a pretty good way to test them. Guy at the shop is bringing me different ones saying you are really going to like this one. I try it and I can't taste anything. LOL

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Congrats and best of luck!!!! Welcome to the forum as well!!!
Any questions along the way please ask, plenty of helpful folks here!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

savagebee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Congratulations!!!!
I know what you mean about the smell of cigarettes. Some of my workers are smokers and when they come in my office it's overpowering now. The thing that got me to quit cigs and dip wasn't just the vape, it was the hobby of it. I've been a year off cigs (got lucky and never went back once I started vaping) and I haven't wanted one in probably 10 months now. Keep it going and welcome!

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Congrats and great that you are trying to make another go of vaping! I was a 30+ year cigarette smoker and quit by using the Mistic Bridge and some Haus eliquids. It worked for me, I tapered down my cigs and set a quit date. Vaping and will power, while I had many months of craving, I just vaped more until it went away! Over 2 years later and many mods and tanks later, I do not even crave cigs and I smell how gross they are when people that smoke pass by.
Everybody quits their own way, and you will find what works for me will not work for you! I knew I could not even take one puff or I would have dragged back into it! For every cig not smoked is still a victory!
Stay Strong and Vape On!

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Welcome and congrats for giving up the cigs:vino:

The good thing about vaping is you can turn it into a hobby which takes your mind off other things like smoking for instance ...

DIY juice
Build you own coils (oh man there are so many options here)
Build on a mech (do this last takes loads of research)
So many different styles of tanks to try
Different types of mods
Then there's temp control, power mode etc

Discover whether your into flavour/clouds or both along the way

I've found the journey just researching then trying things in small steps has been really rewarding and fun (Mini projects you can tick off the list as you go) ...don't get everything at once save yourself to look forward to trying news things as you go

You have a great community here happy to help answer any questions you have and give sound advice, everyone has been so great since I joined last Dec :) I've learnt loads

decssiz

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Congratulations!!!!
I know what you mean about the smell of cigarettes. Some of my workers are smokers and when they come in my office it's overpowering now. The thing that got me to quit cigs and dip wasn't just the vape, it was the hobby of it. I've been a year off cigs (got lucky and never went back once I started vaping) and I haven't wanted one in probably 10 months now. Keep it going and welcome!
Yeah I can't believe how bad they smell. And I have been stinking like that for 23 years.

Congrats and great that you are trying to make another go of vaping! I was a 30+ year cigarette smoker and quit by using the Mistic Bridge and some Haus eliquids. It worked for me, I tapered down my cigs and set a quit date. Vaping and will power, while I had many months of craving, I just vaped more until it went away! Over 2 years later and many mods and tanks later, I do not even crave cigs and I smell how gross they are when people that smoke pass by.
Everybody quits their own way, and you will find what works for me will not work for you! I knew I could not even take one puff or I would have dragged back into it! For every cig not smoked is still a victory!
Stay Strong and Vape On!
Day 17. Have a health concern that when I found out I wanted to go get a cigarette. Picked up my vape and puffed on it till I did not want one anymore.

Welcome and congrats for giving up the cigs:vino:

The good thing about vaping is you can turn it into a hobby which takes your mind off other things like smoking for instance ...

DIY juice
Build you own coils (oh man there are so many options here)
Build on a mech (do this last takes loads of research)
So many different styles of tanks to try
Different types of mods
Then there's temp control, power mode etc

Discover whether your into flavour/clouds or both along the way

I've found the journey just researching then trying things in small steps has been really rewarding and fun (Mini projects you can tick off the list as you go) ...don't get everything at once save yourself to look forward to trying news things as you go

You have a great community here happy to help answer any questions you have and give sound advice, everyone has been so great since I joined last Dec :) I've learnt loads
The hobby aspect is a big plus on keeping my mind from thinking about smoking.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I lost my mom 2 weeks ago and never once thought of picking up a cigarette during that ordeal.During the viewing some of the strong cigarette smell on some people, made me gag and I am glad that I don't smoke cigarettes anymore!
I like the VU forum when you can come here anytime when you need to be talked to about anything! It really helps, since we have all been in your shoes.
I am sorry to hear about your health concern, quitting smoking is the best thing you can do for your health!
Stay Strong and Vape On!

decssiz

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I lost my mom 2 weeks ago and never once thought of picking up a cigarette during that ordeal.During the viewing some of the strong cigarette smell on some people, made me gag and I am glad that I don't smoke cigarettes anymore!
I like the VU forum when you can come here anytime when you need to be talked to about anything! It really helps, since we have all been in your shoes.
I am sorry to hear about your health concern, quitting smoking is the best thing you can do for your health!
Stay Strong and Vape On!

Sorry to hear about your mom. I know how hard that is. Lost mine 9 years ago. Nice to hear you felt no need to smoke a cigarette. Amazing how that cigarette smoke smelled so normal and how repulsive it seems now. Where did you get that banner showing how long since you smoked? Its pretty cool. 11979 cigarettes avoided. Ha

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Sorry to hear about your mom. I know how hard that is. Lost mine 9 years ago. Nice to hear you felt no need to smoke a cigarette. Amazing how that cigarette smoke smelled so normal and how repulsive it seems now. Where did you get that banner showing how long since you smoked? Its pretty cool. 11979 cigarettes avoided. Ha
Thank you- my mom was suffering and she is at peace now.
I see that you figured out the banner! Yes pretty cool to watch the money you wasted and all the cigarettes you have avoided smoking! I think it helps keep you strong to actually see results!

VU Sponsors