Become a Patron!

New to mech mods

Hi all, I have been vaping for a month cig free. For the majority of it I have been using an aero tank mega on an itaste SVD. I also have a kraken clone on the way from fastech which should be here any day now. With my current setup I usually run 3.3v around 9w using 1.2ohm coil. If I run up to 12w I will burn some juices.
I'm planning on either buying or more likely building an unregulated mech mod, but I don't understand how will this affect my tank atomizers? Will I burn my fluids using my planned setup? Ultimately I will probably switch to dripping, but I need to have a tank setup for work and the SVD is only on loan from a friend. Thanks.

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Throw watts and to a lesser degree, volts... out the window. With unregulated mechs, your current drain in amps is based on resistance and battery, state of charge voltage as well as available maximum continuous current drain rates.
Resistance determines your output... and no, you'll not burn anything, as long as you have adequate wicking for the heat flux value.

Using Ohm's Law calculations... where V ÷ Ω = A, and starting with the common 4.2v as a constant... your 1.2Ω atomizer will draw 3.5 amps current. The easy method is to use a Ohm's Law calculator.
What this means is, you need a battery that can deliver a maximum continuous current drain of at least 3.5 amps, preferably with a bit of cushion or "head room"... so say 5 amps.
Just about an 18XXX series IMR battery is capable of this continuous output... from 18350 to 18650.

The calculator I've linked to... "Steam Engine", also includes battery drain and coil modelling programs. The entire suite is quite accurate... as long as you remember the maxim - "garbage in - garbage out". Cheers.

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Awesome response. Thanks.
No problem. One of my daily use, "go to" set-ups is an AW IMR 18350 in an Element Mods ToL with a 1.0-1.2Ω, 2mm ID, 27 gauge single coil - in a Kebo R91% V1 with cotton or rayon wick.
Simple build... but it works a treat in single coil RTAs.
yes.gif

JediTT

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't like tanks on mechs.. don't really get that constant output.

VU Sponsors