Become a Patron!

New to Mech mods

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hello all,

I've been vaping for a while. I use rta's, but mostly rda's on one of my squonk devices. I used a mech recently and really enjoyed the experience, enough that I'm going to buy one.

I've been studying ohms law, which I already had a good understanding of and also read a bunch of mooch's battery safety blogs.

I'm planning on starting with a .5 build with a single Samsung 30q, as on my regulated devices I vape around 40- 50 Watts.

Since higher resistance requires less amperage from the battery I figure that's a good starting point for a beginner while I get used to a mech.

My question is, after reading the above, does anything jump out as a concern, am I missing anything? I make my own coils and can go with either a big thick fused clapton or simple round wire, which would you use for your first mech build?

For those who reply, thank you in advance for helping a guy into the mech world!

Last edited:

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Depends on the mod, the switch, the batteries and your vape. Yes, I live below 40w.

On a Noisy Cricket (2S 18650) I need about 1Ω to tolerate the vape; on my DS-Style (2P 19650) they claim below .2Ω will melt the plastic button on the switch, so .3Ω is fine there. In both cases, these were 25R's initially, but those cells - all 6 pairs - are now relegated to the Vt133 dna200; the mechs now use vtc5a's.

I've had absolutely miserable luck with claptons and "huge" of any type, but I can use straight-up wire anywhere. Steamengine is your friend.

Good luck.

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Depends on the mod, the switch, the batteries and your vape. Yes, I live below 40w.

On a Noisy Cricket (2S 18650) I need about 1Ω to tolerate the vape; on my DS-Style (2P 19650) they claim below .2Ω will melt the plastic button on the switch, so .3Ω is fine there. In both cases, these were 25R's initially, but those cells - all 6 pairs - are now relegated to the Vt133 dna200; the mechs now use vtc5a's.

I've had absolutely miserable luck with claptons and "huge" of any type, but I can use straight-up wire anywhere. Steamengine is your friend.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply, that is good info.

I'll be using a Plug mech with silver contacts and a single LG HG2 20A. I understand that I'll have to play around with some builds until I find what I like on a mech.

Hearing from experienced mech users like yourself is always helpful.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I like staying in the sweet spot{.3 to .5} range on a single cell 18650 mod. Find that going down to even .25 gets the vape too hot and can draw voltage/battery charge quickly. If I use the sweet spot range, a battery charge can last me a few days. Really not too keen on using dual coils any more. Can vape just as well if not better on a single coil. YMMV, of course and all is well.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
What RDA are you using? Single coil or dual coil? What kind of wire, N80, Kanthal, SS? What gauges do you have? What I'm getting at is lots of mass to get your resistance on a dual coil will take a while to heat up with a fused Clapton. If you have 28 for the cores and 38 for the wrap you can do it. Like @PoppaVic said, steam-engine.org is your friend. I don't want your first experience with a mech to suck.

I don't remember the last time I used a regulated mod... I do know it's been well more than a year. :shades: :cheers:

Also, tag me so I remember to come back to this thread if you have more questions... I'm an old fart, memory is the second thing to go, I don't remember the first... :giggle:

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
What RDA are you using? Single coil or dual coil? What kind of wire, N80, Kanthal, SS? What gauges do you have? What I'm getting at is lots of mass to get your resistance on a dual coil will take a while to heat up with a fused Clapton. If you have 28 for the cores and 38 for the wrap you can do it. Like @PoppaVic said, steam-engine.org is your friend. I don't want your first experience with a mech to suck.

I don't remember the last time I used a regulated mod... I do know it's been well more than a year. :shades: :cheers:

Also, tag me so I remember to come back to this thread if you have more questions... I'm an old fart, memory is the second thing to go, I don't remember the first... :giggle:
I'm using a single coil, B2K RDA. My first build was a .4 Kanthal and was not enough of a hit. I built lower with some ni80 28ga wrapped in 36 for a .28 build and it was much better.

Thanks for the advice!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I built lower with some ni80 28ga wrapped in 36

Hey, hey, hey! You, yes you there! Get out of my skull space. I just sat here and wound up some 28/36 Kanthal Clapton wire. I had not read your post until just now. Sounds like a decent build ya got too. I've not yet built with the 28/36, that'll come a bit later on. Got some decent coils running on three different mods at the time.

Wire type you'll find at times can give you plus or minus on what yer looking for in a vape, too. Kanthal for me seems the most consistent. Want it "ramping up" quicker, build it properly. Nichrome 80 will ramp up quick, heat bright, which is saying it doesn't heat at least not evenly despite being made for that reason. Stainless, it's alright and doesn't leave any taste but that's also considering it can heat too hot and too steady which mutes flavors too.

Each type has its trade offs. After a spell you'll see old pharts settling in for long haul. Sardine can, 18650, wire for coil and a stumpy/(Chi)NaRDA for an rda and you're good to go, at least if you listen to some. :) speaking of which, need to fidgit with my stumpy later.

VU Sponsors