Become a Patron!

New to mechs

32bitlord

TPD Compliant
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
After several years of using regulated devices my curiosity got the better of me & I picked up my first mechanical device. Being a newcomer I wanted to get advice from those in the know rather than gathering bits of info from random sites across the web.

My Ijoy 20700 (5 pin) is rated at 40amps however mooch rated it to 30amps. At what point would the amp draw on this battery be considered as dangerous? Once I know that sketchy area between safe & dangerous I can be sure to build safely.

This battery is considered a 3.7v cell however when fully charged 4.2v. Which of these 2 voltages should I be using when using ohms law

Lastly what should I pay more attention to when attempting a good build? Keeping within the batteries capabilities is paramount however, since I have no variable options on a mech to increase wattage etc what should I be looking at to ensuring I’ll have a decent vaping coil.

As always, thanks for the help guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
mooch rated it to 30amps. At what point would the amp draw on this battery be considered as dangerous? Once I know that sketchy area between safe & dangerous I can be sure to build safely.
the driest and most boring answer would be to just build to whatever mooch says is the amps (30 in this case), but you can go a bit harder than that and not die...its a matter of your personal experience and knowledge. i would wait until you are more familiar with mechs and all this stuff and decide for yourself if you want to push your batteries (and why/how/when, all the things you need to answer before you should do that). no one but you can provide that info for you, imo.

This battery is considered a 3.7v cell however when fully charged 4.2v. Which of these 2 voltages should I be using when using ohms law
i use the max voltage when i do that math. that gives me a slightly higher result than what ill get in real life, which i use as a bit of a safety zone...

Lastly what should I pay more attention to when attempting a good build? Keeping within the batteries capabilities is paramount however, since I have no variable options on a mech to increase wattage etc what should I be looking at to ensuring I’ll have a decent vaping coil.
always build for your batteries, and consider your coil mass. on mechs the way to change your vape is to build a different coil. i prefer smaller coils on single battery mechs. they light up faster, draw less power and have longer battery life. its easy to throw some .1 aliens on a tube and have a build that give you ten or so puffs, gets really hot and suffers from voltage sag...and some people love doing that (to each their own). if i want to vape like that ill use a parallel box (less sag, more mah and amps etc). on a tube i prefer a smaller coil that will last longer. i have a fused clapton micro coil setup on a single battery squonker than get get me thru 6-8ml of juice on one battery. great for traveling light (tiny mod, no backup batteries or juice bottles). this is all a personal preference too. youll pick up on all the little details with time/experience. the main thing i will say about building for mechs is this...know what you are doing. dont have a lingering question about a build or any detail. dont do a build thinking 'hope this is ok' and then use it. know its ok before you do it. :cheers:

irradiated

Member For 4 Years

I agree with everything @mach1ne said. Use your regulated mod for dry firing and building, make sure there are no shorts in the coil by firing on the regulated mod with the top cap off as well as the top cap on! Use http://www.steam-engine.org/ohm.html to check the amperage of your build. If you do decide to push your battery harder than what Mooch recommends, pay a lot of attention to how hot your batteries and mod are getting while vaping. If it's getting hot, stop vaping. My usual build on a tube mod is .13-.15. Keep in mind, going over Mooch's rating is going to damage your battery faster than normal, and you'll have to replace it sooner. Check your wraps for tears/dents/etc every time you put a battery in your mod. If you use a series or parallel mod, check battery orientation, then check it again. :)

Like machine said, the right coil mass is important on a mech, in order to avoid long ramp up times. My sweet spot is like 5 wraps of 2x28ga fused claptons. I definitely prefer nichrome on mechs over kanthal, it has less ramp up time and a bit lower resistance, which lets me add an extra wrap or two to my coil vs kanthal. I generally only use kanthal for my series mechs, and only if I'm looking for a little bit extra resistance, otherwise I use nichrome on those as well.

Watch this.
this guy is the battery guru for vaping.

Thanks for posting this, great to see Mooch starting his YT channel!

VU Sponsors