Become a Patron!

New to mods, just got a SMPL, need some info

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There is not a subohm tank on the market that I am aware of that can run on that mod safely; or any hybrid mod. Mech mods are born from people like myself and others, who started when you didn't have many choices available. I use mine still for nostalgia and the beauty of it's simplicity.

HOWEVER:
They get used rarely now; because, of how well the regulated mods deliver. In all honesty, there is no reason for a new vapor to get a mechanical mod. quite honestly, the best thing you can do is invest in a good, inexpensive high regulated mod and tank, while you are learning about ohms law, battery safety, build safety and how to safely operate a mechanical mod. If you want power there are ample high power mods out there that can be found for 40-50$.
By all means keep using the ipv for now, and learn how to operate and vape safely before you get hurt trying to use the mechanical.

I do; however, congratulate you on switching to vaping and coming to ask questions before something happened.

As with all Mech Mod's it depends on the build. I run my Griffin and Bellus on my Mech mods and they work very well. I have even run my Crown on my Parallel Mech mods, both the RBA and the stock coils and they provide a very nice Vape. I have one of my Bellus Tanks where I bored out the air flow, put a .9 32x2/36 fused clapton on my Noisy Cricket with great success.

https://******/photos/9aWNnHKiTywvJDRo8

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
As with all Mech Mod's it depends on the build. I run my Griffin and Bellus on my Mech mods and they work very well. I have even run my Crown on my Parallel Mech mods, both the RBA and the stock coils and they provide a very nice Vape. I have one of my Bellus Tanks where I bored out the air flow, put a .9 32x2/36 fused clapton on my Noisy Cricket with great success.

k8auygdVtmBBHchY6
I'm not referring to a build, I'm referring to the 510pin on a hybrid and things that noobs would use- unmodified off the shelf products. not advanced user modified items.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not referring to a build, I'm referring to the 510pin on a hybrid and things that noobs would use- unmodified off the shelf products. not advanced user modified items.

Agreed, thus is why I stress you need to know what the hell you're doing when it comes to Mech Mods. If you know what you're doing they are perfectly safe. "But" in the hands of someone who hasn't done the research and just jump in they are very dangerous.

Good comparison is someone who drives a Toyota Camry and thinking they can just jump into a Formula 1 Car or a loaded Semi Truck.

This is what should be stressed for those choosing to go down the Mech route. We answer questions for those willing to ask and research before they go down this rabbit hole.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Have you read this thread?
Because we have a newbie that buys a hybrid, that knows ZERO about mechs.

Mechs are dangerous to ANYONE who is so fucking lazy, they don't take the time to learn the basics. This is a classic Darwin thread.

He's not lazy, if he was he wouldn't have created this thread asking questions.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I cant help but see those of us whom have "been there done that," as having the responsibility to give out lessons and information to those who are looking to. The off the shelf tanks and high power mods, certainly have their place, they offer an optimum vape experience with the convenience and consistency that some of us could only have dreamed of not that long ago. They also make the necessity for a tube mech to be non-exhistant; But, they are nice, certainly enjoyable and offer an experience that for some cant replicated.

That said, those looking to play in the mech world, have to be willing to learn, research and ask questions- you need a lot of working knowledge to use them properly. W, hen they ask we owe it to them to take the opportunity to educate the ones that are honestly looking. However, we have to educate them with good accurate and compete information. Just like they can't half ass it with a mechanical , we cant half ass it when giving them information on using a mechanical.

With the amount of headlines that run across the screen based on mechcidents, its clear that some inexcusable safety issues by some are being grossly overlooked

kicking the petri on my stxti today in fact.
WP_20160304_11_23_39_Pro_LI_zpsdmvgnnga.jpg
OH MY GOD OH MY GOD NO DON'T !!!!!!!

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
OH MY GOD OH MY GOD NO DON'T !!!!!!!
Totally typed it wrong.-what else I did?
Figured if it wad the flagship again, you would be mad

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Totally typed it wrong.-what else I did?
Figured if it wad the flagship again, you would be mad
i was looking at it ....but got a SURFRIDER ( oh my god , oh my god) instead. just ordered a MCR101.....fucking robomods look like tonka trucks.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i was looking at it ....but got a SURFRIDER ( oh my god , oh my god) instead. just ordered a MCR101.....fucking robomods look like tonka trucks.
You like BCV mechs too?
1e299be1f0dc2f3fa366ea1bdc67b610.jpg

Had this XXIX for over 2 yrs..Janes at BCV was really cool to send me extra magnets when I ordered a couple spare top caps...best 18650 mech I've ever had the pleasure to vape,

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

hogheadv

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Because my IPVII is only solid until 70watts. I've never vaped anything over it. The SMPL mod is like $10 bucks, vs. buying a 200watt box for $60. Plus the monster size doesn't appeal to me or my pockets. SMPL has an aesthetically clean design that I like.
If you are trying to vape over 70 watts, you have chosen the wrong mod. A SMPL is a single battery tube mod that will not see over 70 watts unless you want to throw caution to the wind. Learn ohms law. Also as far as pocket carrying a SMPL, I wouldn't unless you plan to pull the batteries. It does have a recessed button but no lock so if anything pushes the button its going to fire.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You like BCV mechs too?
1e299be1f0dc2f3fa366ea1bdc67b610.jpg

Had this XXIX for over 2 yrs..Janes at BCV was really cool to send me extra magnets when I ordered a couple spare top caps...best 18650 mech I've ever had the pleasure to vape,

The design of the hybrid adapter of the BCV mods is pretty fucking smart.I like the size of the surfrider....I'm not crazy about the button I find the adjustment to raise and lower the button so that you can sit it down on a table without firing is a pain...it does not spin easily ....I don't know if it's the button I got and I need to send it back or if it's just a design flaw....what do you think....other than that I really like it.

Gheed

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
if your going to quote me on something like that, in a thread like this, you'd better damn well provide that quote. :mad:

Sorry, had you confused with someone who is smarter than you. @Break-19 has the basic knowledge to file down the negative of the 510, you do not.

Op, Poppa is either a troll or just plain dumb. Do not use any tank without a protruding positive 510 pin.
image.jpg

This is a mini tank on a hybrid adapter. The positive pin is the part in the middle. The negative of the 510 is the silver threads. The positive pin is the only thing that can touch the positive of the battery. If the negative touches the positive of the battery it's game over. As you can see the positive does stick out from the negative, but it's not enough. positive pins can be pushed up into the tank, you may cross thread the tank or dent the positive of the battery.
image.jpg

This is the positive pin of a Kennedy 22mm. As you can se the positive sticks out a lot more than the mini sub tank.

OP if you want to use a tank look into the Triforce by CCI. It has a very nice protruding positive 510 pin.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I found that putting a little Noalox on the button threads helps keep it from spinning so easy..also a drop or two of super glue on the magnets keeps them in place when taking the switch apart for cleaning..a couple tricks that have worked for me..

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I found that putting a little Noalox on the button threads helps keep it from spinning so easy..also a drop or two of super glue on the magnets keeps them in place when taking the switch apart for cleaning..a couple tricks that have worked for me..

does the noalox help the button to spin more easily.....mine fucking sticks all the time...

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
does the noalox help the button to spin more easily.....mine fucking sticks all the time...
I wouldn't say Naolox makes it spin more easily but it does spin more smoothly..also it stays in adjustment better..

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wouldn't say Naolox makes it spin more easily but it does spin more smoothly..also it stays in adjustment better..

do you find it's fiddely to spin that button or does your go up and down easily.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
do you find it's fiddely to spin that button or does your go up and down easily.
No not at all..I use fine grade scotchbrite to clean both the inside lip in the switch housing and on the outside edge of the button, followed by a Q-tip dipped in a little alcohol..I buff the little copper batt contact with the scotchbrite too and lube the button threads with a dab of Naolox, then assemble the switch... Finally adjust the throw so the button is not quite flush with the housing allowing it to stand up without auto firing..sounds like alot but it only takes about 10min and I only have to do it about twice a month for top performance...

Model_A_Ford

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Cheeseburgers aren't necessary, beer isn't necessary - they can both be lethally dangerous. But, using appropriate precautions, are reasonably safe.

I'd like to learn more about tanks on straight to battery mechanical "hybrid" connections.

I know some tanks do not have a positive that protrudes, these are not safe.

On tanks that do have a positive that protrudes, these should be fine as long as there is no way for the battery to touch the outside negative of the 510. Yes?

I can see how it could be hard to make that judgement call on positives that don't protrude as much, this is where it's not so clear.

Pins that push in are not to be used. Cross-threading the atomizer so it's crooked and not straight up and down, I suppose that's possible, but hope you'd notice that and not proceed with inserting the battery and switch.

Denting the battery certainly shouldn't happen. On a SMPL or Noisy Cricket the firing switch is always the last thing assembled, unless you really gorilla the switch on you're not denting the battery.

If you are trying to vape over 70 watts, you have chosen the wrong mod. A SMPL is a single battery tube mod that will not see over 70 watts unless you want to throw caution to the wind. Learn ohms law. Also as far as pocket carrying a SMPL, I wouldn't unless you plan to pull the batteries. It does have a recessed button but no lock so if anything pushes the button its going to fire.

Sure it can, just use a 30 amp battery. Pocket carry - put a rubber end cap on it.

Poppa (K)

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sorry, had you confused with someone who is smarter than you. @Break-19 has the basic knowledge to file down the negative of the 510, you do not.

Op, Poppa is either a troll or just plain dumb. Do not use any tank without a protruding positive 510 pin.
View attachment 42794

This is a mini tank on a hybrid adapter. The positive pin is the part in the middle. The negative of the 510 is the silver threads. The positive pin is the only thing that can touch the positive of the battery. If the negative touches the positive of the battery it's game over. As you can see the positive does stick out from the negative, but it's not enough. positive pins can be pushed up into the tank, you may cross thread the tank or dent the positive of the battery.
View attachment 42796

This is the positive pin of a Kennedy 22mm. As you can se the positive sticks out a lot more than the mini sub tank.

OP if you want to use a tank look into the Triforce by CCI. It has a very nice protruding positive 510 pin.

blah, blah, blah.
did you miss this post were i measured everything???

deck/510/POS(outer pin)
Velocity/.020"/.157" adjust510
Kennedy/.018"/.160" fixed510
Phenotype-L/.021/.159" adjust510
SMT/.019"/.176" fixed510

if you had read it, you would have noticed that the 510 pin on my unaltered STM protrudes .001" further than my Kennedy, and that the POS thread on my STM is .016" longer than the same threads on my Kennedy.

you'd better get your ducks in order.

look before you leap sonny boy.

Poppa (K)

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
hears a question for all you geniuses

how is it then that i haven't blown my face off in the past 3 weeks????

luck or knowledge of physics?

Poppa (K)

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
cross threading, denting batteries. holy shit, you your grasping at straws. these are problems that anyone using mechs has to be aware of.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cheeseburgers aren't necessary, beer isn't necessary - they can both be lethally dangerous. But, using appropriate precautions, are reasonably safe.

I'd like to learn more about tanks on straight to battery mechanical "hybrid" connections.

I know some tanks do not have a positive that protrudes, these are not safe.

On tanks that do have a positive that protrudes, these should be fine as long as there is no way for the battery to touch the outside negative of the 510. Yes?

I can see how it could be hard to make that judgement call on positives that don't protrude as much, this is where it's not so clear.

Pins that push in are not to be used. Cross-threading the atomizer so it's crooked and not straight up and down, I suppose that's possible, but hope you'd notice that and not proceed with inserting the battery and switch.

Denting the battery certainly shouldn't happen. On a SMPL or Noisy Cricket the firing switch is always the last thing assembled, unless you really gorilla the switch on you're not denting the battery.

Sure it can, just use a 30 amp battery. Pocket carry - put a rubber end cap on it.
there is an adpapter that will allow you to use almost any atty on a hybrid, but it won't be a true hybrid connection battery to POS pin...it will have ab adjustable scew between the battery and the atty pin...and so you do get voltage drop..but it makes the mod look cool

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Just been lucky so far..

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I don't know much about the various Mc nugget tanks,but it possible to force the firing pin up into the 510 connection is it threaded..and how many mm does the POS stick down below your 51o connection...as a newbie I remember forcing my atty onto my mod without adjusting for the atty and it forced the pin up into the 510 connection

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I know with the atlantis and first run kangertanks the pin can slip and recess into the threads,
cants speak to the others. but I have seen both of do it
my Atlantis did it to me on my hana-
I don't know much about the various Mc nugget tanks,but it possible to force the firing pin up into the 510 connection is it threaded .

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yeah attys like the steam turbine and the storm rider were like that with enough force you could drive the pin up into the 510 connection always thought doc dave made a mistake with that design.fucking center post spun like a top.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I know with the atlantis and first run kangertanks the pin can slip and recess into the threads,
edit:: the upside on those the coil stops it from traveling to far in but even the tinyiest amount caused it to stop making contact on the hana:
was glad though, it gave me an excuse to ditch it

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
yeah attys like the steam turbine and the storm rider were like that with enough force you could drive the pin up into the 510 connection always thought doc dave made a mistake with that design.
its almost irrelevant because no one who uses a mech would use it but- zens bukaki tank is famous for that,
he should send spare 510 pins out with it,

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
you'd be surprised a got a stormrider off some kid and he had just fucked that center post up something terrible...I had to take it apart and strip the shrink wrapped insultor that was used in it and shrink wrap a new one he'd even managed somehow to bend the fucking center post over.

Model_A_Ford

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
there is an adpapter that will allow you to use almost any atty on a hybrid, but it won't be a true hybrid connection battery to POS pin...it will have ab adjustable scew between the battery and the atty pin...and so you do get voltage drop..but it makes the mod look cool

The finned heat-sink adapter? I was just looking at those and wondering about the positive pin on the battery side, if it moves or not.

I don't know much about the various Mc nugget tanks,but it possible to force the firing pin up into the 510 connection is it threaded..and how many mm does the POS stick down below your 51o connection...as a newbie I remember forcing my atty onto my mod without adjusting for the atty and it forced the pin up into the 510 connection

Atomizer on first, then battery and switch. Do it that way and you would have to really apply a lot of force way beyond anything normal to jam things out of place.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
you'd be surprised a got a stormrider off some kid and he had just fucked that center post up something terrible...I had to take it apart and strip the shrink wrapped insultor that was used in it and shrink wrap a new one he'd even managed somehow to bend the fucking center post over.
I wouldn't be surprised, lmao
ive seen everything mentioned at my buddies shop. olol
battieries that I swear must have been through a lawnmower, it makes me ultra careful with what advice I give and why. I assume that whenever I am talking to a new person; that, I'm talking to someone like that.

and yes ive seen more than a few indentied positive nipple top batteries. usually on either a stingraty or a 4nine

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The finned heat-sink adapter? I was just looking at those and wondering about the positive pin on the battery side, if it moves or not.

Atomizer on first, then battery and switch. Do it that way and you would have to really apply a lot of force way beyond anything normal to jam things out of place.
no, its an adpater like this it gives hyou the look of an adapter but not quite the performance of one..sorry gonna have to link it

http://www.vapvip.com/tienda/gb/mod-accessories-ecig/238-nemesis-hybrid-universal-adapter-kit.html

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have a handful

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
the stxti comes with one.

edit::: nevermind, no I have not seen those before... I need a few of those though
to bad I sold my nemeis

Poppa (K)

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just been lucky so far..

i'll stand all three of you up at same time. it will make this far easier on my part.

physics. if the pin is protruding and can't move, it can't dead short. period.

my Mc nugget tank (what ever the fuck that is), rocks all day with it's .5ohm coil. sure it's a STM, but it does the trick. three batteries keeps me happy all day. great flavour all day long, doesn't leak, doesn't need dripping, and can be tossed away to the side until needed. as long as the RTA is screwed down tight. the pin is protruding and can't move, it can't dead short. period.

this tank, new tank old. none of that matters. all that matters, it that 510 is checked for fixed position, and protrusion. if the pin is protruding and can't move, it can't dead short. period.

by this point, even my grand-kids would understand that i'm getting tired of repeating myself.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah I think this allows you to use an atty with a flush connection on a hybrid...I don't own one but I've seen them on videos....

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i'll stand all three of you up at same time. it will make this far easier on my part.

my Mc nugget tank (what ever the fuck that is), rocks all day with it's .5ohm coil. sure it's a STM, but it does the trick. three batteries keeps me happy all day. great flavour all day long, doesn't leak, doesn't need dripping, and can be tossed away to the side until needed. as long as the RTA is screwed down tight. the pin is protruding and can't move, it can't dead short. period.

this tank, new tank old. none of that matters. all that matters, it that 510 is checked for fixed position, and protrusion. if the pin is protruding and can't move, it can't dead short. period.

by this point, even my grand-kids would understand that i'm getting tired of repeating myself.
well we wouldn't want to bore you so fuck off. I merely asked you a simple question..does your mc nugget tank have a fixed or adjustable center pin....whether or not it's possible to drive the pin up with enough force.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Then don't repeat yourself.. You sound like you know what it takes to vape safe, so vape on dude..happy trails,

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

well, hopefully you wouldn't let your grandkids use the kanger subtank on a hybrid without some alterations to make it safe

Gheed

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Do you understand the difference between the positive and negative of a 510?

image.jpg

image.jpg

The top is a SMT and the bottom is a Kennedy 22mm. You say the 510 on the SMT sticks out more, and it does, but that's not what is important. How far the positive fire pin sticks out of the (negative) 510 threading.

And yes I'm grasping at straws. I value your health more than you do.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
well, hopefully you wouldn't let your grandkids use the kanger subtank on a hybrid without some alterations to make it safe
I'm sorry I must return to me cell and flail myself for unchristian like thoughts.which satan was tempting me to respond with..

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
hey I might need one come to think on it.
if you order some; and they will work on mods other than the nemesis, let me know. I'll split shipping with you

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
hey I might need one come to think on it.
Adding an adapter will cause a voltage drop, defeating the purpose of using a hybrid top cap in the first place..that hybrid top cap is the primary reason my XXIX hits so damn hard, and with a copper tube and switch has almost 0 voltage drop at the 510..rather than using an adapter its far better to use a Atty/tank with a protruding pin..some like my Griffin, has a adjustable 510 pin, as well as a few of the RDA's available today...just ssyin

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Adding an adapter will cause a voltage drop, defeating the purpose of using a hybrid top cap in the first place..that hybrid top cap is the primary reason my XXIX hits so damn hard, and with a copper tube and switch has almost 0 voltage drop at the 510..rather than using an adapter its far better to use a Atty/tank with a protruding pin..some like my Griffin, has a adjustable 510 pin, as well as a few of the RDA's available today...just ssyin

I think more people get hybrids for the way they look than they do for eliminating voltage drop...I'm not interested in volatge drops, I got the surfrider because it was an authetic well made device on a ridiculous sale.and I needed a new mod, my old one had gone the way of the buffalo...

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As someone who has daily worked with tools that could easily remove body parts and serious bodily damage I take it for granted that tools must be respected and their operating perameters adhered to or crossed at risk and with great attention....I have often thought that the average driver shouldn't be allowed in a car because they had no experince with accidnets more serious than paper cuts, and had no respect for the tool they so mindlessly drove.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
As someone who has daily worked with tools that could easily remove body parts and serious bodily damage I take it for granted that tools must be respected and their operating perameters adhered to or crossed at risk and with great attention....I have often thought that the average driver shouldn't be allowed in a car because they had no experince with accidnets more serious than paper cuts, and had no respect for the tool they so mindlessly drove.
Now we know what happened to you a tool is embedded in your brain a man who speaks from scrape metal of the mind J/J :)

VU Sponsors