Become a Patron!

New to RDA, seeking advice

Hello,

I'm new to RDA's and have had a fairly horrible experience so far. I've used a tank up till now and have had good flavor/experience, I just feel like I go through the coils quickly enough that I'd rather build.

I tried an RTA and could never get flavor out of it, so I moved to an RDA. I now have the Peerless RDA by geekvape.

I've had some very clean builds at a wide range of ohms, and even used a pre-built clapton (which I think was way too low in resistance). My current build isn't very 'good' but I don't think it's horrible. I have 8 wraps of 26g kanthal on dual coils making a resistance of .75 ohm. While I get 'some' flavor, it's no where near what I get out of my tank (baby beast).

My concern is that maybe my mod isn't working right? When I raise the wattage to test different ranges, it seems to cap off past 50W ish, I mean I don't really see the Amps/Volts changing at all when I raise the wattage and I don't notice myself getting more vapor. Is this normal? My mod is an Alien 220W.

With any of my builds I've done/used I don't get much flavor at all until I crank up pretty high in the wattages, and it starts to get so warm that my RDA heats up a lot and I don't really enjoy it either. I'm about to give up as I've tried so many different inner diameters, # of wraps, size of wire, pre-builts, and wicking techniques.

I've also noticed i'm gradually getting less vapor than I first was when I used this, and maybe that's due to my builds not really improving and I'm trying the wrong things.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here’s a few vids of the RDA...
As you can see, all the reviewers are pretty much using SPECIAL coils... non of them used regular coilS!
The warmer the vape the more flavor you get (IMO)...
If the baby beast satisfies you, stick to what works for you, but if you want to explore the RDA WORLD, keep experimenting until you find what works for you...
VAPING is very SUBJECTIVE bro...
What works for me, will not work for you... GOOD LUCK

I BAM

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello,

I'm new to RDA's and have had a fairly horrible experience so far. I've used a tank up till now and have had good flavor/experience, I just feel like I go through the coils quickly enough that I'd rather build.

I tried an RTA and could never get flavor out of it, so I moved to an RDA. I now have the Peerless RDA by geekvape.

I've had some very clean builds at a wide range of ohms, and even used a pre-built clapton (which I think was way too low in resistance). My current build isn't very 'good' but I don't think it's horrible. I have 8 wraps of 26g kanthal on dual coils making a resistance of .75 ohm. While I get 'some' flavor, it's no where near what I get out of my tank (baby beast).

My concern is that maybe my mod isn't working right? When I raise the wattage to test different ranges, it seems to cap off past 50W ish, I mean I don't really see the Amps/Volts changing at all when I raise the wattage and I don't notice myself getting more vapor. Is this normal? My mod is an Alien 220W.

With any of my builds I've done/used I don't get much flavor at all until I crank up pretty high in the wattages, and it starts to get so warm that my RDA heats up a lot and I don't really enjoy it either. I'm about to give up as I've tried so many different inner diameters, # of wraps, size of wire, pre-builts, and wicking techniques.

I've also noticed i'm gradually getting less vapor than I first was when I used this, and maybe that's due to my builds not really improving and I'm trying the wrong things.

What is maximum voltage output of mod?? Because that determine max wattage for higher ohm build..... I output is say 6volts max watts at .8ohm would be 50watts. You would get the 220watts at around .2ohm or less. I know nothing about that mod how is it regulated?

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not sure about the mod and its power delivery but I would be interested in seeing your build / coil placement etc.

I'll rebuild and attach an image either later today or tomorrow, my current one is admittedly bad due to just trying out some other options. I'll make a decent build, and if/when it doesn't work out for me post it lol. I'd rather not have you judge the one I have now since you'll point out all the flaws I already know, that probably aren't the bigger issue.

I've not tried many claptons, just some I grabbed from a local vape shop and idk if somethings wrong with them or what but I got a reading of .15 ohms (ish) and they were advertised as .4 ohm. (single coil build, dual coil was too low for my mod).

I'd think you could make a regular coil build on this and it be fine, I don't know why claptons would be necessary. Maybe this just isn't a mod for flavor though, I've heard good things about it.

My RTA that sucked was an OBS engine, I even had a friend who has great luck with RDA's build my coils and wick, etc. Really wish I could go rebuildable but maybe it isn't meant to be.

I actually just went and rebuilt everything and it is substantially better. It isn't as good as my tank yet, but it's definitely useable. I have a homemade pineapple flavor that is so strong that in my tank I almost feel like I'm tasting sugar/strong candy sweetness. In this it's definitely good, but I don't get that sugary strength. I'll keep it like this though since it works.

This build is 8 wraps of 26g kanthal. It was actually around the inside small of a pen (with the casing off). I usually build around drill bits, but they're all at home. This is actually fairly decent. Wick is cotton bacon, and length/thickness is as shown in the pictures.

At first the throat hit was kind of harsh, but that stopped after x amount of hits. I'm guessing just working in the new metal/wick. Total resistance came out to about .5 ohm and I'm running it at at 50W, haven't tried any other wattages so that may help as well if this isn't optimal.

Attachments

• side view.JPG
    side view.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 17
  • top down.JPG
    top down.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 19
  • top heated.JPG
    top heated.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 19
  • wick pre tucking.JPG
    wick pre tucking.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 17
  • wick post tucking.JPG
    wick post tucking.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 24

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dual coil builds are half of the ohms of the coil so a 0.3 build I put on earlier came out as 0.15 ohms so that's why your 0.4 ohms isn't 0.4 ohms.

But anyway keep tinkering till you get a good vape.
Vaping is subjective but I definitely find rebuildables to have better flavour than a baby beast. It's about finding the right build.
Seems you like a cooler vape so get some 0.6 coils and they'll come out at the ohms you are more used too.
With my 0.15 build though I still only vape 40 watts. Don't vape any where near as high as I could push the coils.

I was only using a single coil when I was referring to the .4 ohms coming out at .15 ohm. It was strange but consistent. If I tried putting two of those on it came out too low and my mod wouldn't even try it. It was probably getting something like .05 at that point.

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
The peerless is awesome my buddy has one. And I don't like smok very much but that's a decent enough at up to be able to give a good experience.

Why do you think it's capping of at 50 Watts? Crank it to 80 your using kenthal and it's a round wire so ramp up shouldn't be terrible. Honestly it seems like something isn't tightened down and, your posts shorting out somewhere.

I take my time when building. I pre cut everything so that there is no excess. I don't recommend pre cutting your coils, it just works for me. I place em, situate them then cut and install. That little cut of over hang can touch your coil or the post and it's s wrap till you figure it out.

Can you get a good macro shot of all the angles of your deck. Macro pic the deck, then the top. I guarantee it's a short. Especially if it's capping out at 50.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

That's possible, this thing wire doesn't like to be clamped down and it may not have been on good.

I threw that build out, this one seems good. I'll try ramping it up later.

It's a lot better than before. I think my mods fine, I just must have had a poor connection. I also thought it might have been going bad because the resistance on the Clapton I tried was almost exactly the same as my baby beast tanks coil...which was apparently correct, just a strange coincidence lol.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's a lot better than before. I think my mods fine, I just must have had a poor connection. I also thought it might have been going bad because the resistance on the Clapton I tried was almost exactly the same as my baby beast tanks coil...which was apparently correct, just a strange coincidence lol.
It could be still reading the old resistance. My H-Priv does that. Reads 0.2 whatever I put on there so it's gathering dust and got replaced by an alien but with all the issues I get with smok mods I won't be buying anymore. Really happy with my minikin V2.

Try cleaning the 510 with a q chip. That's worked for me with poor connections

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Hello,

As some have said, try clapton coils. A single core clapton is pretty easy to make. Watch a few videos.
The reason your mod is capping around 50w is because of the secondary mod controller. Basically, it follows the formula volts squared / resistance = Max watt output. Just build lower than 0.50 ohm for max power.

Not sure without seeing your build, but 8 wraps is quite a lot. I find when using more than 6 the wick burns inside the coil much faster. Rather than adding more wraps, try a larger inner diameter core. Most RDA can handle 3.5mm x6 wrap pretty well.

You can also buy premade clapton and fancy coils and fasttech sells spools of alien wire, which I find pretty good, since Im lazy sometimes. lol.
https://www.fasttech.com/p/8014108

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Might seem a bit obvious once written out but ensure your battery isn't going fully discharged. I use a mech & usually when I notice vapor production dropping off, time to swap out for a fresh charged and rested battery. Sometimes it makes a world of difference with keeping stuff simple. :)

As some have said, try clapton coils. A single core clapton is pretty easy to make. Watch a few videos.

Can agree. I'm waiting to have use of a drill, or purchase a drill chuck for my new dremel. Presently, I'm hand wrapping Claptons. It's 'eh, okay" but I can see the advantage of a drill or rotary tool.

Not sure without seeing your build, but 8 wraps is quite a lot.

I like using about 5 wraps at 3 mm inner diameter. Finding that for me seems to nock unto about 0.30 Ω nearly every time using a single coil build. I used to like the dual coil builds, am becoming more laden with affinity for single coil builds.

You can also buy premade clapton and fancy coils and fasttech sells spools of alien wire, ...

:) Yes, nice to have pre-made wire on hand. *chuckles*

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I actually just went and rebuilt everything and it is substantially better. It isn't as good as my tank yet, but it's definitely useable. I have a homemade pineapple flavor that is so strong that in my tank I almost feel like I'm tasting sugar/strong candy sweetness. In this it's definitely good, but I don't get that sugary strength. I'll keep it like this though since it works.

This build is 8 wraps of 26g kanthal. It was actually around the inside small of a pen (with the casing off). I usually build around drill bits, but they're all at home. This is actually fairly decent. Wick is cotton bacon, and length/thickness is as shown in the pictures.

At first the throat hit was kind of harsh, but that stopped after x amount of hits. I'm guessing just working in the new metal/wick. Total resistance came out to about .5 ohm and I'm running it at at 50W, haven't tried any other wattages so that may help as well if this isn't optimal.

Tweak your coils by compressing them a little. It's fine if the coil wire touches on itself in the coil itself. Tweezers help. Don't go crushing but gently nudge the wraps taut, together. At times this helps me, though it can be hit and miss.

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Here’s a few vids of the RDA...
As you can see, all the reviewers are pretty much using SPECIAL coils... non of them used regular coilS!
The warmer the vape the more flavor you get (IMO)...
If the baby beast satisfies you, stick to what works for you, but if you want to explore the RDA WORLD, keep experimenting until you find what works for you...
VAPING is very SUBJECTIVE bro...
What works for me, will not work for you... GOOD LUCK

I BAM
The world of RDAs imo is much better. I felt exactly opposite to you. I had tried countless subohm tanks from 2016 and up. I would get ok flavor but the AF was so hit or miss.

I would start out with fused Claptons. If your into buying pre made coils avs has decent enough coils at a pretty good price. They often have deals.

There's is no way imo that the 3 core fused Claptons they sell won't completely poop on most subohm tanks in almost every department.

I use fused Claptons about 60% right now. I've got two RDAs I keep built one has a triple core fused Clapton one had the same build but I put in an alien fused Clapton last night and I think that's how I'm going to vape until I find something better. Those coils really work for me.

There are good sub Ohm tanks if that's what you're into. Some don't like fooling with there shit. Some people don't mind Tinkering.

Have a good day dude. I've heard the peerless is a pretty decent RDA to start with.

Fused Clapton, nichrome80 I just find gives A better vape than kanthal.

Contact or spaced there both good in there own way.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The world of RDAs imo is much better. I felt exactly opposite to you. I had tried countless subohm tanks from 2016 and up. I would get ok flavor but the AF was so hit or miss.

I would start out with fused Claptons. If your into buying pre made coils avs has decent enough coils at a pretty good price. They often have deals.

There's is no way imo that the 3 core fused Claptons they sell won't completely poop on most subohm tanks in almost every department.

I use fused Claptons about 60% right now. I've got two RDAs I keep built one has a triple core fused Clapton one had the same build but I put in an alien fused Clapton last night and I think that's how I'm going to vape until I find something better. Those coils really work for me.

There are good sub Ohm tanks if that's what you're into. Some don't like fooling with there shit. Some people don't mind Tinkering.

Have a good day dude. I've heard the peerless is a pretty decent RDA to start with.

Ur quoting the wrong vaper!

I BAM

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile

I tend to like both NiCr and Kanthal, so it largely depends on what I am building. NiCr has lower resistance than Kanthal, so if you are shooting for 0.20 ohm dual coil, your NiCr coil will be quite a bit larger and require more watts to heat. In some cases, you want the extra wraps because Kanthal would make a coil with to few wraps.. (like a 2 wrap coil would be fairly useless... lol), whereas you could build 4 wraps with nichrome.

VU Sponsors