Become a Patron!

New to Rebuildable Atomizers. Can't get ohms to read properly

robertbrifino13

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello. I'm having a bit of a problem. I just started using my first RBA about a month ago. I run a Herakles RTA on a Smok Alien 220W mod. I bought Prebuild Kanthal Microcoil Coils, Clapton 26ga + 32ga - 0.6ohm. Everytime I install these coils on my dual coil deck, it reads around 0.5+ ohms. Shouldn't it run around 0.3 ohms? The coils have 5 wraps and are pretty small. Should they be close together when put in or more stretched out? Also, sometimes my device won't read the coils at all. As of now, both coils fire at the same time and my device is at 0.537 ohms. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Publicised coils resistance is not always accurate, especially in Chinese coils.
It does seem that you have some connection issues.
Check the the post screws are close tight, check the same with the 510 screw (and any other screws holding portions of the deck if such exist).
Check that the coil legs are cut close to the posts so that they don't touch the other coil from the other side.
Check for hot spots.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
First off, welcome to VU. Kanthal coils are normally wound as contact coils meaning the wraps touch. If you haven't been, you need to dry fire them and eliminate any hot spots with ceramic tweezers before wicking, also you'll need to recheck tightness of your connections if the ohm reading is off from what it should be. Are you using an ohm meter to read your coils or just the mod?

robertbrifino13

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The coils still wiggle a little even though I cranked the post screws as tight as I could. What sucks is that my 1.0 mm allen key is still to big for the screws. It's crazy. Plus, I worry about clamping down too hard

robertbrifino13

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
First off, welcome to VU. Kanthal coils are normally wound as contact coils meaning the wraps touch. If you haven't been, you need to dry fire them and eliminate any hot spots with ceramic tweezers before wicking, also you'll need to recheck tightness of your connections if the ohm reading is off from what it should be. Are you using an ohm meter to read your coils or just the mod?
Thanks! I am using just the mod.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I always recommend using an ohm meter as they are usually more accurate than the mods. Another bonus is they read the resistance constantly so you can see if something changes as you're making adjustments on your build.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Herakles (like most other RTAs) comes with an included allen key, so use it.

robertbrifino13

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unfortunately I purchased my Herakles RTA second hand through a friend. Didn't get any equipment

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So go to the hardware store and get some proper tools.

robertbrifino13

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Tools are fine. Just want to know the best way to get this to read .3 ohms

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

We both gave you the best suggestions we can. Make sure connections are tight, and make sure coils fire (glow) from the middle out evenly between the two coils by moving and /or compressing the windings together to eliminate hot spots. If you do this, your coils should read in the ballpark, but I still highly recommend buying an ohm meter made for vaping, they are usually less than $20 and available at all most all vape shops.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is it reading high before you place the top on or after?
If the coils seem loose since they are claptons, it is possible that the core wire/s have broken and you're only securing the wrap (outer wire).
If this is the case you'll need to replace them.
unless there is enough coil leg left to put it in further and re-secure.
However if you don't have the right size allen key, you may not be able to proceed at all.
If the one you are using can't grip the screw, you're not going to get it tight.
You don't want to tighten it so much that you strip it but it does indeed need to be pretty snug.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As @nightshard stated, just because the coils are listed as 0.6Ω doesn't mean they will end up at exactly half that when you put two in.
Maybe pics would help see any potential issue, but more than likely it'll be having the proper sized allen key and accepting that you MAY not get to exactly 0.3Ω.
I agree that 0.537Ω seems a bit high but there are too many variables that we don't know to be able to assist.

robertbrifino13

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey! So I tinkered with it and some things were loose. Just fixed it all up. Also checked the 510 pin and boy was it gunked from the guy I got it from. Holy cow. After messing with the coils, I got it down to 0.454 ohms, which is great. Both coils fire up at the same time, great flavor, and great clouds. Did a better job than the last set of coils I installed. Thank you all for the help! Now, with these types of coils, what wattage can I go up to? I stay around 45-60 watts to be safe.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey! So I tinkered with it and some things were loose. Just fixed it all up. Also checked the 510 pin and boy was it gunked from the guy I got it from. Holy cow. After messing with the coils, I got it down to 0.454 ohms, which is great. Both coils fire up at the same time, great flavor, and great clouds. Did a better job than the last set of coils I installed. Thank you all for the help! Now, with these types of coils, what wattage can I go up to? I stay around 45-60 watts to be safe.
Awesome, glad ya figured it out and it is working well for you.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Glad you got it straightened out and enjoying your vape.

robertbrifino13

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks everybody!!! I really appreciate the help. I wasted 2 coils trying to do it but you gotta start somewhere I guess hehe. Kudos to you all!

VU Sponsors