Become a Patron!

New to RTA

I’ve been vaping for 7 years. Recently I decided to try out the RTA game. I was told it would save me money plus be fun building my own coils.

Ok, so yesterday I received my first RTS tank.The Valkyrie. I got to say I am disappointed. I’m not sure if I was expecting a vaping revolution but I was expected the flavour to be better then my standard sub ohm tanks? After doing about 4 different builds using “coils by Scott” fused Claptons 0.17ohms with Bacon prime cotton I can see why people get into this because yes, it is fun. I feel it’s cost vs flavours though. Yes it’s a lot cheaper using an RTA, and yes it’s fun building which are pros but on the other hand if you have a decent sub ohm tank like the Horizon Falcon 2 or the Uwell Valyrian 3 then the Valkyrie just can’t compete for flavour or even come close. So yes it cost more to run the sun ohms but maybe there a reason for that higher cost and that’s flavour.

Before I throw in the towel can anybody suggest an RTA that can compete with the 2 sub ohm tanks I have above? I want to stick with RTA but I don’t want to sacrifice flavour over cost.

Thank you in advance,

Simon

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I made the switch to mainly use RTAs and RDAs because a favorite sub tank of mine became impossible to find the coils for it. Then all the vape bans happened here in NY and how would I be able to keep vaping if I could no longer get sub tank coils. Then those sub tanks become garbage when I can't buy the coils for them.
I have tried many RTAs and I like to use single coil decks like the Kylin mini, Intake, SMM Elevate, Zeus are easy to build and wick and have great flavor.
Another great way to get into rebuildables is by dripping, but I like squonking better with an RDA with a squonk pin installed, most come with that pin included- again I like single coils decks- my favorites are the Mongrel , Asmodus Oni One, Hermetic RDAs, really good flavor RDAs.
The best of both worlds would be the RDTA ( rebuildable Drip Tank atomizer)- these have a small glass tank under the deck for liquid. Really easy to change the coils and wicks, no messy tank to take apart- great flavor with these too.
All mine are dual coils decks for the RDTAs- the Pyro, Nefarius- one single coil deck is the Flave RDTA .
I bought many sub tank coils for my favorite sub tanks- in storage right now.
Oh and some sub tanks come with and RBA(rebuildable coil)- those are what I look for- no need for coils, a little deck so tricky to build, but once you get used to it, nice flavor.
I like RDL (restricted direct lung) and DL (direct lung) vaping. Most of my coils are .3Ω and I usually keep the wattage at 25w- 30w
I am sure others will chime in with their favorites-
I am not sure where you are located, but if and when coils become scarce you will need a back up plan if you want to keep vaping .

Serena25330

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome Scott!
Yes, there are alit of RTAs that can and will exceed the flavor of most subohm tanks. Of course, the build style, materials, resistance, air flow, cotton preference, wattage and more factors will play into how good of a vape u will get I need more information to make recommendations on a tank that might impress you. (I had a Horizon tank and it was very good. I think mesh coil heads also been a game changer BUT, I DIGRESS).
The fact you already enjoy your new Rebuildable atomizer tells me that RTAs will probably be a great fit for you.
I know nothing about the coils u mentioned but u wrote a resistance of around .17? I like low builds with lots of air and high wattage. However, I recently discovered low wattage, high resistance builds on MTL tanks using minimal airflow and I love it, particularly for tobacco flavors (and others too). So make sure ur wattage, airflow and coil placement match up.
In the middle of these two extremes, there are mesh tanks like the wotofo profile unity and Doom X RTA both mesh. I thought I'd love them but they don't reach high wattage bc even tho resistance is low, the mesh strip doesn't heat up past around 50 watts before I have issues.

The questions you should ask urself: are you into single or dual could configs? Will u be running the tank on a single or dual battery device? That influences which tank is best suited for your mod.

Also, some favors shine more in low wattage setups. I think different notes are tasted at various temps so it's a matter of preferences - there is no hard science to it

I'd like to suggest you check out coils at wire optim.com. They sell hybrid spools of wire - u can buy 25' of tricore or even 4 core fused Clapton's that are easy to wrap up into coils for your tank. A frugal vaper can use these coils for a long while, if taken care of. I am assuming you know of Ohms Law and battery safety, if not - look into the topic and wireoptim also provides a helpful chart.

Vandy Vape offers low cost RTAs in their Kylin series there's a single coil Kylin Mini or Kylin Mini V2 with exceptionally tasty airflow and at affordable prices. Ditto for the Kylin M which is mesh and is pretty much leak proof, well as much as possible.
The single coil Bishop RTA is easy to build on, you can access the deck without spilling juice. Great flavor.
I'm so tired my brain is already shutting down without tank answers popping out ... I'll do my best to add info tomorrow or soon one final suggestion - try an inexpensive clone tank to see if ur interested, there's many available at fasttech.com I got the VCMT style tank, no longer available in non clone, u gotta stuff the wicking ports but I love that tank and it's worth it...

Dang I wrote a mini novel and nearly fell asleep doing it. Hope something was helpful and good luck ☺️

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yes it’s a lot cheaper using an RTA, and yes it’s fun building which are pros but on the other hand if you have a decent sub ohm tank like the Horizon Falcon 2 or the Uwell Valyrian 3 then the Valkyrie just can’t compete for flavour or even come close. So yes it cost more to run the sun ohms but maybe there a reason for that higher cost and that’s flavour.

What you're discussing here is considerably subjective. Keeping in the spirit of simplicity being the most complex, use what you enjoy and enjoy it.

I use RDAs mostly here. Will not get into RTA suggestions beyond saying I have read the Fire Luke series of tanks seem to do well for a lot folks. Can really offer no more advice.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
IK sub ohms (some) have greatly improved since I used one.

When I think of 30mm dual coils RTA's, I think lots of power. IK that's not necessarily the case but might be here.

Flavor for RTA's, esp dual coilers, need to have the right coil placement and wicking matters too. Even some single coilers, but they are more forgiving because of the smaller deck. More coils doesn't mean more flavor. I can't fathom a sub ohm beating an RTA for flavor.

I have one bigger RTA - 28mm - and its great, but when I mounted a 3rd coil it made a difference that I won't use 2 in it any longer.

Man cannot live, or make a decision on, 1 RTA alone. I also suggest a flavor banger single coiler.

In the mean time show us a couple/few close ups of your build.

What's your usual resistance and wattage on the sub ohm? Just wondering, doesn't mean you'll want to match it for an RTA.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I also suggest a flavor banger single coiler.

*sits nodding and verily going "Hm" whilst wearing a big wide grin after taking a draw from such a said RDA*

Being honest, fair though, ... I use unflavored juice. It is maximum VG. It has a subtle sweetness to itself, and is not absolutely without flavor.

There are times I add some flavoring. Yes, a single coiled flavor banging atomizer can do quite well. Still I return to use what you enjoy, enjoy it. If that's tank, RDA, tuna tin, whatever.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
In the mean time show us a couple/few close ups of your build.

What's your usual resistance and wattage on the sub ohm? Just wondering, doesn't mean you'll want to match it for an RTA.

Also agree with this. The way you build, align, wick, set air flow can determine how you perceive flavors. Also your juice choice can be part of the spectrum of how flavor is carried. We can help to a certain extent, wiser help comes from knowing more info from you.

For example I use a single coil set up that usually falls between 0.30 to 0.35 oHms. If I use closer to 0.25 oHm coils I find the vapor gets physically too heated for my preference, as well it strains a single 18650 battery cell a bit more. You've already read I use max VG juice. Got some 50/50 but not gotten to using it yet.

I also wick so as to leave a tube in the top of the coil. This means I leave about .5 mm between the wick and top of coil internally. Find that this helps let airflow through the coil to help create better vapor. My coils are usually placed in line with the air flow holes on the deck.

How I vape is my way and suits me, it may not others. Not here on a crusade. Merely offering an example of how to show how you vape. Pictures can help too.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
My experience with sub-ohm tank coils isn't extensive; I changed to rebuildables quite a while ago now, but I have used a few Freemax Fireluke Mesh coils that were surprisingly good. Having said that, though, I very much doubt that they are better than the builds in my Aromamizers or Zeus X Mesh, or Augvape Boreas V1 RTAs.

Right now I'm vaping a Steam Crave Aromamizer Supreme V3 with dual coils, if memory serves they are small tri-core N80 Claptons of about four or five wraps each, with ohms at 0.29 for the pair. This tank is a flavor monster.

One thing I will say about newly-built RTAs is that sometimes you don't get the best flavor right away. Some coils and cotton blends need a break-in time, and after say a couple of hours up to a day of vaping, the flavor gets better and better. You also must have coils positioned right, so that air hits the bottom half of the coil, rather than blowing over the top or under the bottom of it. As you're building any rebuildable atomizer, you have to keep an eye on how it's all coming together and what the air flow is going to do when the atty is in use.

SharpRazor

ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Dual-use since 2009, vaping only since 2010 tnx to Super T and GG mechs with 18650s. I've lost count of Infinity Bunker but well over 300 tanks. I've really no idea what you're talking about with sub-ohm tanks having some special ability to bring out flavor or clouds. You can blow clouds off 10w and single coil RTA if you mix high VG. Different coils, power, PG/VG ratio bring out different flavor notes, but by far the best flavor attys I've ever found for daily drivers are Kayfuns. I've voted with my money, I'm at 75-80 authentics, here's the backups to the backups storage pile being packed up.

Kayfuns 1.jpgKayfuns 2.jpg

Daily driver:

Kayfuns + Dicodes.jpg

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Dual-use since 2009, vaping only since 2010 tnx to Super T and GG mechs with 18650s. I've lost count of Infinity Bunker but well over 300 tanks. I've really no idea what you're talking about with sub-ohm tanks having some special ability to bring out flavor or clouds. You can blow clouds off 10w and single coil RTA if you mix high VG. Different coils, power, PG/VG ratio bring out different flavor notes, but by far the best flavor attys I've ever found for daily drivers are Kayfuns. I've voted with my money, I'm at 75-80 authentics, here's the backups to the backups storage pile being packed up.

View attachment 192311View attachment 192312

Daily driver:

View attachment 192313
If your talking flavor, and you found something that beats a Kayfun, you did something wrong with the Kayfun ;) Just my 2 cents.

If your talking flavor, and you found something that beats a Kayfun, you did something wrong with the Kayfun ;) Just my 2 cents.
Not heard of the Kayfun. I spend £50 on the Valkyrie and £35 on the Blotto max tried a few different coils in them but just wasn’t impressed with the flavour, big clouds but not great flavour, well not compared to the Horizon Falcon 2.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Started vaping maybe around late 2013 and into 2014. Even then, I had heard of the Kayfun/s. I had also heard a little about Reo mods in what seemed arcane whispers.

Kayfuns are legendary for being one of if not the most flavorful RTA/tank available. Reo mods are top notch legends of squonk style vaping. Not really ever been a tank person.

Can also recall people using plastic syringes to make cartomizers. Oh well, I've probably been vaping too long. I officially count my starting time around late 2016 because until then I wasn't really doing anything except trying gas station cig-a-likes.

In 2016 wife got me an eGo style vape pen kit. It wasn't long before a buddy got me persuaded to try mechanical mods, squonking. As the squonk mods usually carry bottles of 5-10ml of juice, don't see need of a tank. RDA/RDS atomizers work well enough to suit me.

Well hm, ... *sits hearing The Bard's Song & Valhalla playing over and over in his skull*

VU Sponsors