Become a Patron!

New to This...

Hey guys, I posted in the newbie section but haven't gotten any real help. I have been vaping for a couple of months now and love my Smok Winder with the Evod 2 tank. I started with my Gravity Thunderbolt and like my pen more. But I recently picked up the Guardian e-pipe thinking that mechanical is going to give me bigger clouds and a richer flavor. Unfortunately I'm not overly impressed thus far and was looking for some help or recommendations to get bigger clouds without an RDA (I'm new to mechanical and wouldn't even know where to start). Thanks for the help. I'm not too worried about cost for the new tank/coils only because I can use it on multiple mods.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Clouds are a combination of several things: Heat of the coil, VG (higher the better) in-flow of air to add volume to the atomised juice, Sherpa lungs.
The mod has nothing to do with clouds...you will see people win cloud comps with simple single 18650 tube mods. What matters most is coil surface area combined with heat...and enormous amounts of air flooding into the dripper. RDA's like the Mutation X, Tobh V2, Doge, CLT...etc have wide open airflow options as well as large build decks and deep juice wells. I compete in cloud comps and I can tell you this much....all the best kit on earth means nothing without technique.

D
Clouds are a combination of several things: Heat of the coil, VG (higher the better) in-flow of air to add volume to the atomised juice, Sherpa lungs.
The mod has nothing to do with clouds...you will see people win cloud comps with simple single 18650 tube mods. What matters most is coil surface area combined with heat...and enormous amounts of air flooding into the dripper. RDA's like the Mutation X, Tobh V2, Doge, CLT...etc have wide open airflow options as well as large build decks and deep juice wells. I compete in cloud comps and I can tell you this much....all the best kit on earth means nothing without technique.
Do you have a recommendation for a new guy? I've never built my own coils or used a drip mod. I always used the dual coil Pyrex tanks that I had with my Winder so I'm not sure how confident I'd be building my own...

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
As for big clouds on tanks.....look for the ability to run dual coils....large build decks....adjustable airflow or at least a LOT of fixed airflow. I recommend the Orchid for this...and the latest Kayfuns. You wont win any comps with those...but you will fog up the room in no time without sacrificing flavour. Since I am on that line of thought.......the more airflow, less flavour. You will see numerous builds here that are three to five wraps...i cannot stress enough how I dont get those coils....flavour comes from surface area. I can build a .57ohm dual micro with a total of 28 wraps of 24g wire.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
D

Do you have a recommendation for a new guy? I've never built my own coils or used a drip mod. I always used the dual coil Pyrex tanks that I had with my Winder so I'm not sure how confident I'd be building my own...
Tons of info in the coils sub forum here, as well as youtube tutorials (specifically RipTrippers). It's all about practice practice practice. The most experienced builders on here started out making rubbish coils that were only fit for the bin.

As for big clouds on tanks.....look for the ability to run dual coils....large build decks....adjustable airflow or at least a LOT of fixed airflow. I recommend the Orchid for this...and the latest Kayfuns. You wont win any comps with those...but you will fog up the room in no time without sacrificing flavour. Since I am on that line of thought.......the more airflow, less flavour. You will see numerous builds here that are three to five wraps...i cannot stress enough how I dont get those coils....flavour comes from surface area. I can build a .57ohm dual micro with a total of 28 wraps of 24g wire.
That's insane. Like I said I'm new to the mechanical and pipe mods and still relatively new to vaping. I started to quit smoking and chewing and love it. I don't need to win any competitions or anything and I'm happy with the performance of my Winder for everyday/on-the-job use. But I'd like the option to go real big when I want to impress some buddies.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Basically....get yourself a spool of 26g kanthal and start wrapping! Invest in a resistance checker and have fun. Prepare to throw the first couple of metres in the bin lol.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
That's insane. Like I said I'm new to the mechanical and pipe mods and still relatively new to vaping. I started to quit smoking and chewing and love it. I don't need to win any competitions or anything and I'm happy with the performance of my Winder for everyday/on-the-job use. But I'd like the option to go real big when I want to impress some buddies.
Your buddies can sod off...you vape the way YOU want to!

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Hahaha thanks for the help man. I really appreciate it. I'll take a look at both of the tanks and maybe get myself a tugboat and some wire while I'm at it.
Check out the "Builders Corner" and "Coils" subforums here as well.

VU Sponsors